Union of the Snake // Oralie

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Nov 6, 2018 12:30:57 GMT -5

Karel wanted to do nothing more than just go back to the dorm and collapse onto one of the leather sofa's for a few hours or even better, his bed but duty called and he had to patrol for a little while before he could do that. Luckily for him he was paired with a fellow Slytherin and on top of that he actually somewhat enjoyed Oralie's company, she was similar to him in a lot of ways and so it wasn't hard to find something to talk about, even if most of their conversations usually spiraled into talks of their families or their displeasure at catching students out of bed. 

The patrol seemed quiet so far which was a relief, the wizard wasn't in much of a mood to put up with frisky kids, making out in the corridors. Karel turned the corner, his footsteps echoing off the stone floors and he glanced at the balcony before approaching it and looking over into the grounds below, "Do you think we could just wait here for a little bit. I feel the further up the castle we patrol is when the trouble will start." He said with a small laugh as he leaned on the stone railings and glanced down at the grounds, in the distance a group of students were hurrying up the lawns into the castle and for a moment, Karel wished it would start raining on them; at least then there'd be some excitement that didn't include him and Oralie trying to shoo students to the dormitories at the very least.

He turned to face the slight older Slytherin and went back to her side, crossing his arms and leaning on the wall. Oralie was slightly more relaxed when it came to shirking their responsibilities for a bit and just taking time to talk. He wasn't sure he'd call her a friend, but he had some level or care for her that he liked to know how she was doing. It took a lot to make Karel feel that way, but he'd known Oralie for a few years now and it had taken them that long to get to the point where he'd willingly have conversations with her, without being passive aggressive towards her. Something that only a handful of people were ever privileged enough to receive from him; and anyone who knew him, knew that if he was nice to you, then you were doing something right. "You played really well the other day Oralie, it's been a while since we've had a game that good." He said to her with another genuine smile, compliments were another thing that was almost impossible for people to receive and he thought again about how Oralie should appreciate that he didn't hate her guts like he did most other people, of course he wouldn't say that out loud to her; not tonight at least, he wasn't in the mood for arguments and his recent conversations with his Uncle had been preoccupying him. 

Karel didn't talk about his family to anyone, but he didn't have to. He didn't hide when he got over protective of them or concerned for their well being and with the constant updates related to this flu and the knowledge that his family were still unwell were causing great concern for him and it was evident on his face whenever he thought about it. Like right now, he could feel himself frowning and his brows furrowing. He shrugged it off though and turned back to Oralie, "You ready for the next match? I was thinking of doing a little extra training tomorrow actually." He informed her with a smile, he wanted to have the Slytherin's win this season but Quidditch was usually game of luck and tact and whilst their team had a lot of tact, there was still the 'luck' essence in play.
Oralie Slughorn
Oralie Slughorn Avatar
Slytherin
116 posts
17 years old
7th Year
Head Girl
Captain
Seeker

Avalon School of Ballet Apprentice
Aura Reading
Slytherin
played by Jade
"I did everything he did but backwards and in high heels."
options

Post by Oralie Slughorn on Nov 8, 2018 17:22:12 GMT -5

Union of the snake
prefect patrol

Oralie loved patrols. Really, it was more that she loved being out in the castle when it was still and quiet. No first years or Gryffindors making loads of ruckus. Just stone and shadow and the cool of the night. It was easier to forget her disappointments at still being at Hogwarts when she was wandering these halls--especially with a Slytherin companion. Oralie had acquaintances across the school, but she tended to favor the company of those from Ravenclaw or Slytherin. Cunning and intelligence, she could relate to much more easily than bravery, rash recklessness or patient dedication to hard work. She might appreciate a bit of chivalry or support justice, but in the end, she was Slughorn--and that made her value self-preservation above all else. 

The Slughorns were a neutral family not because they were indecisive or secretly aligned to the shadows or light. They were neutral to survive--to protect their fortune--to protect their influence. They had survived Voldemort, Durant, and now this new purist Ministry. They would continue their position in the aristocratic realms of both the magical and muggle worlds. Their diversified holdings across nations and wixen-muggle financial markets protected them against changing administrations and governments. She did not necessarily believe she was above all law or oversight, but Oralie did  believe that  in many ways her family was outside of it. They did not try to change the world--to dictate what regimes rose and fell--they just made to survive it all. To 'friends' to all, but honestly were friends to none. 

That was why, even out of her teammates, Oralie had only acquaintances.  Some who she liked more than others--those who were interesting with depth and shadow to them. Like Karel. They had been reserves together before moving up to starting roles for Slytherin. He, like her, seemed to not necessarily buy into the purist propaganda--using the hateful language only when it suited him. She appreciated that cunning and ambition. It mirrored her own heart and mind. It made her like him more, but trust him less--for he was surely a dangerous snake in the grass. He could be friend, but could easily be foe if she crossed him...or if it simply suited his needs. 

Still, patrols with Karel were something to be enjoyed. He could be counted on for conversation that went beyond purist babble or mundane school gossip; neither of which she had use for or interest in. He suggested they pause and she gave him one of her practiced smiles. It was not meant to be a plastic gesture. It was just instinct to the witch--one ingrained into her by her mother. "I have no objection to that," Oralie confirmed, watching Karel as he took a peak over the stone railing. Though not afraid of heights, she did not join him, choosing instead to recline against the stone wall--enjoying the chill of it against her back. She had no desire to interrupt what was otherwise a quiet and pleasant evening with misbehaving Gryffindors. Perhaps if they gave the lions a bit more time, they'd creep back to their den and they would not be bothered with them. 

Karel brought up the Quidditch match and she laughed. "You and I had a good match, yes--" she could agree with that much certainly. As for the rest of their team, it had been a disaster. "But I'm not sure our keeper and chasers were even on the pitch. That score cut it a bit close for comfort for me. I was relieved to catch the snitch when I did...much longer and I fear the Ravenclaw chasers would have run up the score so high, my efforts would not have been able to secure us the victory." The final tally had been 180 to 140. Fourteen times the Ravenclaw chasers had been able to score on the snake's keeper. It was an embarrassment. This was a rebuilding year, though. Five of last year's seven starters had been seventh years. It was to be expected that they would struggle some this season, no matter how much she hated it.

Still, she found herself questioning herself. Yes, she had been a member of the Slytherin Quidditch team longer than anyone else on it now...this was her first starting season. U-Jin must have trusted her to carry the team forward, but she was unsure if she had done right by him and the legacy he and Kallisto had placed on her shoulders. "Maybe I have made poor decision with who I've placed guarding the hoops." The witch confessed the small bit of doubt aloud...immediately wondering if she should have done that. Maybe Karel already resented her for being chosen to lead the team, as he had started last year. She thought it was possible that Powell was bitter, as well, to not have the honor of leading the team considering she had started for several seasons now despite only being a year below Oralie in school. She had not spoken to either of them about it. She did not plan to. She had not chosen this. Odelia Graves had chosen her, likely with input from some of the departing members of the team. Ultimately, who knew for certain why she had been chosen. It was best to not discuss it. Pushing the conversation in a slightly different direction, the witch asked: "How are you and coming along? I know, it is different than the dynamic you shared with Weaver." 

At his question about her being ready for the next match and his suggestion to train tomorrow, her smile widened a bit. She had mandated what she thought was a reasonable required training regiment for the team--one that matched that of the Gryffindor and Ravenclaw teams, but was still training more herself when her duties as prefect and at Panacea allowed it. She was glad to see that others on the team were doing extra, as well. "I should be, but extra training can never hurt. Are you in need of a quick target to try to hit bludgers at?" The question was delivered as an amused offer. She liked the risk of the game. It was a rush to her--one of the few she got in her life. Her mother did not really approve of a lady playing Quidditch, but Oralie loved flying and her brothers would not deny her anything. So, in the end, Lady Slughorn had been out-ruled...and Oralie got to have her fun. She let her hair down more on the pitch than she did anywhere else. If she was already breaking the rules of what a lady should be, why not just let them all fall down for the time she was there?
@karel | uniform | 1100

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Nov 9, 2018 9:44:49 GMT -5

Anyone who knew Karel knew that friends weren’t his thing, not in the slightest. He didn’t like to make attachments to people, it could end up being risky at a later date, he had plenty of connections and clients, but none of them knew him. They only knew the Karel who listen and helped them with things around the school, spiked drinks, alcohol, cigarettes; you named it he had connections outside of the school walls that could get them for him. It was a shady business, a black market almost and sometimes what he asked in return was a little… extreme, but he had to be thorough to make sure that no one ratted him out. Only those who really wanted what they were asking for would pay the price and those were the clients he built working relationships with. Ones that he knew he could trust and in turn they knew that they could rely on him to provide them whatever they wished… within reason; obviously.

What few people knew was why Karel was so dedicated to his ‘business’, people assumed he just wanted money, credit, prestige; in fact it was much more simpler but also far more complex. He wanted to make his family proud. He was the only child of Terence and Danijela Higgs, he had a lot to live up to and he was determined to do right by them. That wasn’t even taking into consideration that he was following in the footsteps of his Uncle Nikolaj. His Uncle lived by a simple motto, ’I make a deal, I keep a deal’ and Karel believed in that strongly, that was why he never let down his clients or asked for potentially unreasonable prices, he had to be sure and precise.

Depending on who Karel was patrolling with, he normally planned the things whilst out. He was only somewhat friendly with the Slytherin’s that he patrolled with, the other houses got minimal responses and conversation, maybe a ‘good evening, how are you?’ But the rest of it was spent in silence and he preferred that. Having a clear mind and no conversation made it much easier to think things threw so that whenever he needed things to be brought in to him, he planned intricately the ways to get them smuggled in and so far, it had yet to fail him. Tonight though was different, speaking with Oralie was far less painful than most others. He knew that they weren’t friends but they had a mutual understanding, a mutual respect and that was all that was needed. He found it easy to talk to her, her family was similar to his in their beliefs and his parents spoke of the Slughorn’s respectfully and that always spoke volumes for him. The Higgs and the Kopitars didn’t fake their feelings, if they didn’t like you; you knew about it. The only person who had to somewhat feign his feelings towards people was his Uncle Nikolaj and that was where Karel learnt the best way to approach potential clients and partners. To pretend, plain and simple.

Karel glanced over his shoulder ever so slightly to see if Oralie was okay, he knew she liked to keep her distance from people, he was the same but he still felt like checking, when he saw where she was he turned back to the balcony but angled himself that he could still see her out of the corner of his eye and speak to her, he didn’t want to appear rude after all. When the conversation turned to Quidditch Karel listened to her, he could hear in the way she spoke that she was feeling some form of doubt and he turned to face her, his back resting against the railings and his arms crossed against his chest. ”I understand, the Chaser’s did seem a little… off during the match and don’t get me started on our keeper.” He wasn’t impressed, not in the slightest with how lacking they’d been but he bit his tongue, he didn’t want to ruin the team spirit, after all that was one of the only things Karel actually cared for – the Slytherin team. ”Our chasers did try their best, but their best just wasn’t enough last match.” He liked the teams chasers, even if he clashed with one in particular but he still knew they need to support each other.

Karel pushed away from the railings and strolled over to Oralie’s side, leaning beside her on the wall and looking sideways at her, this was probably the closest proximity the duo had been when they were just casually talking, but despite the facade Karel put up, he knew when people needed that little extra nudge and he was above giving it, as long as the person he was giving it to was someone he genuinely had slight care and attachment too. ”Lie, it’s our first game of the season, we’re all going to be a little rusty. But look at it this way, we won and you pretty much saved the game for us.” He told her earnestly, ”As for the keeper, there’s still plenty of training until our next game. If you really wanted to, you could observe them for another few weeks and then decide whether you want to keep them or not. They were good at the try-outs, so it seemed logical to take them on when they were the best we had. But if you continue to feel wary, you could easily switch them out. You have that chance now and I trust your decision will be what’s right for the team.” Karel was rarely sincere when it came to emotions, he never liked to risk showing the slightly kinder side to him; the side that only family saw and even then it was a rarity. When Oralie asked about how things were working out with his fellow beater, he dipped his head in a nod, ”We’re getting there. We don’t quite have a dynamic pinned down yet, but we’re working on it; hopefully by the next match we’ll have something pinned that could go in our favour and maybe knock a few chasers on the other teams off their broom.” He smirked, running his fingers through his hair as he thought about it. ”Weaver and I picked up a dynamic quite quickly, I’m sure Morgan and I can do it too.” He confirmed, offering her a smile.

When Oralie perked up at the mention of extra training, Karel chuckled a little. ”That could be handy, but I’d rather I didn’t harm our seeker.” He said, a slightly joking tone slipping into his voice. ”But if you’re confident I won’t hit you then we can go for it. Tomorrow afternoon?” He suggested, moving away from the wall and standing in front of Oralie instead.
Oralie Slughorn
Oralie Slughorn Avatar
Slytherin
116 posts
17 years old
7th Year
Head Girl
Captain
Seeker

Aura Reading
Slytherin
played by Jade
options

Post by Oralie Slughorn on Nov 9, 2018 17:22:46 GMT -5

Union of the snake
prefect patrol

There were always rules playing over in Oralie's thoughts. Rules of etiquette had been instilled in her, made to guide every action she took and word she spoke. That noise only fell away when she on the Quidditch Pitch. She found freedom there, even if the witch was not fully aware she was searching for it. She carried burdens unnecessary for someone of her age--worries for those who had been taken away from this school, fears for what horrors might descend upon the next, and an ever present longing to be surrounded by those she felt understood her. The self-preservation instinct that guided her as Slughorn kept everyone in her life at arms length...it made her lonely, though...and prone to jealousy. Perhaps it was why she hated Brenton's intended so much. She had liked the other witch once, admired her even, when Oralie had been a first year and the witch had been leader of the Astronomy Club. She had been impressed with her, then...now, she only saw faults and shortcomings. She only saw someone who was taking away her brother....and Oralie did not want to be alone. Without Brenton and Ian, what companions did she have in her life? 

So, she clung to her brothers--to her family...because they were what she knew could be trusted, depended upon. But now things were different. They were without magic. They were bringing people like Cora under the Slughorn family banner. Soon, there would be babies and she would no longer be the apple of the brothers' eyes. Her mother would find someone to push off on...and life would be all foreign and confusing. Even the thoughts of that future twisted her stomach and spun her head. She did not want to be given away. How long would Brenton be willing to protect her from that before he was to wrapped up in his new family?

She did not like to think about that. It was easier to escape those thoughts on the Quidditch Pitch...and sometimes when she found interesting enough questions to occupy her mind. This epidemic was a good distraction from what the future might hold for her. It's origins and nature intrigued her. She wanted to understand it--and more than that, to protect herself from it. There was a battle of love and spite in her heart. She wanted to restore her brothers their magic, but she was happy that Cora was without hers. It would be more than good enough in her eyes for now to just keep herself safe. How could she do that though? What was keeping her safe now? How long would it last? These questions were better to focus on than what might come from the future within the Slughorns. Quidditch was a welcome distraction, too.

As captain for Slytherin, Oralie could pour herself into planning and plotting for how the snakes could defeat all the other houses. She needed to do much better in leading them in preparation for their next match--particularly the chaser trio and keeper. But how? Perhaps Karel would have some input to help guide them. Pride made it difficult for her to admit that she could have made a mistake with her decision for keeper. Was she setting herself up to look weak in front of one her players? Did she see Karel as just one of the players? No. That was clear. She would not have shared this conversation, or this level of honesty with just any of those who wore the Slytherin jersey. She would not have necessarily called Karel someone she trusted, but she must have to some degree--to speak of this with him. 

A wrinkle came over her nose as she bunched it up in a questioning, judging expression when the wizard said the chasers played their best. "Did they though? Really?" Judgment hung heavy in her words. "I know they have not played together before in a match. I know the team is still learning to be a team. But we need those three to fall in sync." The words: I don't know how to get them to do that were left unsaid, but were written over all over her face. She vanished them quickly enough, practiced in hiding any self-doubt or worry. Her mother had insisted ladies were never worried; they never were burdened by doubt--they ascended above such things with grace and poise. It was rubbish, of course. They did not ascend--they buried the doubt down deep where it could not be seen and would only come out in the shadows of night to gnaw at the edges of the mind when no one was there to see the vulnerability.

Karel came closer to her and she let her eyes drift up to his face. Oralie was a very petite witch, barely five feet tall; many younger students were taller than her. There were even a few really tall for their age third years she had to look up to. Not that it bothered her, she was used to being the shortest about. Stilettos helped lengthen her profile when she was outside of Hogwarts, but here in near flats, she had only her pride and poise to give her any illusion of height. 

She took a slow breath as the wizard spoke about the team. It felt better to hear him say that it made sense for play to have gone the way it did. Not immune to praise, especially when from someone she did not believe was particularly inclined to giving it out, she brightened quite a bit at the win being credited to her. She had caught the snitch, of course, but that was the seeker's job. Oralie did not have to make any modest comment, playing down her role in the victory, as the conversation moved on to the keeper. Everything that Karel had to say about that made sense. "That is all fair," Oralie reasoned. "They really were brilliant in tryouts. Maybe it was just nerves? First time being on the pitch with the crowds could be a lot to take in. Maybe some glamours and charms to recreate the noise could help?" The witch mused the suggestion aloud, as she was brainstorming ideas on what might get their keeper whipped into shape.

Oralie let out a ring of laughter when Karel said he did not want to harm Slytheirn's seeker. Her arrogance shown for just a moment as she grinned promising: "there is no need to worry about that." It was cute that he thought he could hit her. Kallisto and then U-Jin had trained her to be agile and as cunning on her broom as she was in the other aspects on her life. The Parkinson had helped her bring ballet on the pitch--and U-Jin had mentored her in martial arts and mediation. The pair of seekers who had come before her had crafted her into a wicked fast target as elusive as the golden prize she sought in each game. 

Oralie had no firm obligation for the next day. She could always go to Panacea--anytime she was free of class or other school obligation, she was able to pop off to her internship at the family business, but there was no firm expectation that she would be there tomorrow. Normally, she would have gone just to see her brothers, but getting out on the pitch seemed a much more enjoyable way to spend the afternoon than to have to see her family trying to continue on their lives sans magic. Flashing Karel an eager smile, she nodded: "Tomorrow afternoon it is then--I'll make sure the pitch is free." 
@karel | uniform | 1300

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Dec 20, 2018 9:07:34 GMT -5

Karel didn’t often put other people before himself, but there was a handful that he had some deeper respect for and because of that, he made the effort with them. He’d never admit it out loud but you could easily tell when he was interested in a person’s well-being. It was subtle but, in his opinion, should be obvious if anyone knew even remotely what he was like. Being as observant as he was, he was normally quick to pick up on small changes in people he knew past just business talks. Karel felt that he had his family to thank for the slightly more caring side. Whilst his father wasn’t overly big on affection, his mother and uncle were. It wasn’t something Karel liked, he found that caring for people was sometimes more hassle than it was worth but there was the occasion where he felt that it was necessary to show he cared. Especially when people gave off an odd… aura of wanting to be left alone. Whilst he was far more comfortable being alone and independent, some people may not handle it as well as others. He lived for keeping people a safe distance, but he knew when to act like his walls were done, for a number of reasons; usually when he could smell a good deal on the horizon though.

Oralie was different though, she was a Slughorn and whilst most people saw the Kopitar’s and Higgs’ as evil, selfish and cruel; the Slughorn’s did not. Karel didn’t think his family were evil, in fact, he believed them to be smart. Sure, being a Death Eater wasn’t ideal and then being Slytherin’s didn’t help but it meant their family was safe when they needed it. His parents and uncle had their opinions on muggleborns, but they were nowhere near as cruel as some other Death Eater’s. His uncle Nik was civil to most; he knew that he needed to keep up appearances to do well in business and that was something Karel had learnt from a very young age, the young wizard wouldn’t have as many connections as he did if he hadn’t had his uncle’s guiding hand. Even his parents played their parts. They knew how to present themselves to get what they wanted, all Karel had to do was mirror their actions in a way that was all his own.

He could tell the witch was doubting herself when it came to their team and he could understand why she was like that, their win had been close. So close, a little more time and they would have no doubt lost. As it was Oralie’s first match after being chosen to be the Captain and choosing the team, it made a lot of sense. She’d want to be the best she could, to convince herself and the team that her being chosen as the Captain was the best decision. Admittedly, he’d probably do a few things differently if he was in her position, but it wasn’t so he just kept his mouth shut. If he showed sympathy or lent her an ear, she may confide in him and he’d offer his own ideas and whilst Karel quite liked being higher up than some, when it came to his Quidditch team and his house it was different. He did things to show support, unity and house morale, he didn’t do anything associated to Slytherin as a house for himself, another thing he’d been taught by his family. Team spirit went far and Karel was confident that should the need arise and depending on the situation, he’d have the backing of those that he backed. He was showing genuine concern for Oralie when she needed it most, even if she wasn’t outwardly admitting it and he liked to think that she’d return the favour if he needed it. Not to mention, he looked at her as the closest thing to a friend right now, and isn’t that what friends did? Look out for others?

Karel gnawed on his bottom lip a little when Oralie responded to his comment about the chasers playing their best, it was a complicated situation. They had and they hadn’t. He’d seen from training that the chasers could do so much better as could their keeper, that was what gave him some confidence in admitting that they did try, but Oralie was right, she hadn’t said outright that she thought they hadn’t, but the meaning that hung from her question was obvious. ”Maybe not in this match, but you’ve seen what they’re like in training. They do so well, but what you need to consider is a majority of our team was replaced this year, we all had our tactics with one another and we had them pinned down, we’ve had to take on a few new players and that’s thrown us off a bit. If the match had been just a little later in the year, maybe the second match not the first, things would be different. We had a lot to do this time. We were one of the first houses to play and that would have probably weighed heavy on the team, especially the new players. They aren’t stupid, they know they have a lot to live up to, our team last year was great. It can’t be easy living in the shadows.” Karel explained, it was weird to hear him speak in an almost sentimental way about his team, but that was his opinion and he was going to express it to Oralie, even if it was just to provide her with some reassurance. She had some big boots to step into. Karel paced a little, furrowing his brow as he thought about the next things Oralie said, ”The only thing I can think of, to potentially help them is team building, like what the muggles do all the time. But our team our stubborn and it’s no secret a few don’t exactly approve of ‘equality’ with people that aren’t like us. But if you put a magic twist on it. It might help.” He offered, he wasn’t sure what sort of things to do, but he’d happily brainstorm with Oralie if that was what she wanted; he wanted the Slytherin’s to win this year, just as much as the others.

Karel paused his pacing when he felt Oralie’s gaze on him and he looked down at her, tilting his head and placing his knuckles under his chin, a thoughtful expression crossing his features. Nerves? That seemed likely, he wasn’t nervous but this wasn’t his first game ever. He thought back to his first game when he’d been a terrified fourth year. He was almost certain he’d performed terribly the first few times until he got into the swing of things. ”Exactly. Glamours and charms could help. There’s no harm in trying, is there?” He said with a smile, ”You and I both know that performing to the crowds can be intimidating for the first few matches; it’ll take time and patience to get used to it. Glamours and charms are worth trying.” He agreed, leaning against the wall beside her.

The laugh made him grin, it seemed like he was breaking through her walls a little bit and it only grew as she spoke, ”But you’re so adorable and fragile.” He said, the playfulness clear, Oralie was definitely not those things; she was adorable in her own way, but now the way he was getting at with Quidditch. When the conversation shifted to them training tomorrow, he nodded. Maybe that would give them more of a chance to think, ideas sometimes came to him much quicker when he put himself somewhere related to it. ”We’ll figure out the team. Just don’t doubt yourself.” He said softly, smiling at her.
Oralie Slughorn
Oralie Slughorn Avatar
Slytherin
116 posts
17 years old
7th Year
Head Girl
Captain
Seeker

Aura Reading
Slytherin
played by Jade
options

Post by Oralie Slughorn on Jan 21, 2019 14:26:49 GMT -5

Oralie was frequently alone, but she did not think of herself as lonely. She had her family--and they were true allies. Slytherin tendencies for self-preservation were extended outside of only self to encompass family. She knew she could trust them, that they would never lie or intentionally hurt her. She had no such confidence about the outside world. The girl was not so much naive as wary. Truly, she had been encouraged implicitly and explicitly to keep others away--product of being unreasonably wealthy, the baby, and sister to two very protective older brothers.

Growing up a Slughorn, Oralie had been always aware of the familial wealth. It was apparent in the museum of a mansion they lived in--with its orchards, vineyards, and horse and thestral stables. It was a disturbing Slughorn tradition to bring small children to the bedsides of those nearing death so that the child would be able to see the thestrals for their entire lives. It had come to a surprise to her that other children had been unable to see the beasts pulling the school carriages when she'd first arrived at Hogwarts. Learning that made her seek out information on the creatures and a letter home had asked Ian how she come to be able to see them. Brenton had been the one to write her back---explaining the tradition as best as one could to an eleven year old. Her oldest brother was always in charge of things like that. The responsibility of conveying unpleasant news of any sort fell squarely on the one meant to ascend to become had of the family.

She wasn't just a Slughorn, though. Oralie's mother was a Burke...and while the Slughorns were known for neutrality, the Burkes were not. Many of her kin on that side of the family had Voldemort's mark. They were favored in this new government. She did not fear any of them. She did not understand their blind hate, but she did understand a commitment to tradition and a love of the old ways. The Slughorns clung to those as much as any purist family, they just tended to do so in a more pacifistic way. They fought to hold onto their wixen high society with their Gringott's vaults instead of their wands.

Her playing Quidditch was seen a pastime that could be tolerated while she was at Hogwarts, even if the family was not keen on her building teamwork skills. They wanted only leaders emerging from those of their name. Following was a dangerous choice, one that ceded control...something a Slughorn was never meant to do. They weren't supposed to flaunt aggressive dominance, either of course. They were meant to lead by example.

But what better example could she set? She rose early each morning for some form of exercise or quidditch training. She kept herself fit. She kept herself apprised of tactics that could be employed on the field. She watched other teams with a keen eye always searching for weaknesses to exploit and strengths to mitigate. She conveyed strategies to her team as best she knew how. She worked with them individually and collectively. What more could be done?

Oralie listened to the sound logic and reason offered to her by the wizard. He was right, of course. The vast majority of the team was new. They just had to adjust. It was normal for there to be some bumps in the road.

"I know I cannot expect things to simply be as they were, but it is still hard to adjust." Still, she tried to internalize everything the Higgs had said. He was being perfectly reasonable. She was a perfectionist, though...and it was not easy to separate herself from the team. She always felt a level of responsibility for their success or failure as seeker, but doubly so now that she was their captain, as well.

"Team building..." She tested the words out on her tongue when Karel made the suggestion. She was not opposed to it. The chasers, especially, needed to unify. She would have to research this. Would the library even have texts on it? Oralie wasn't sure. Likely so. Really anytime she had sought understanding on any topic, the Hogwarts library had always had adequate resources to meet her needs. Somethings were better researched in the Slughorn library--potionology and alchemy, obviously. But team building would not likely have earned any shelf space at her home.

"That is not a bad idea. I will have to look into it. I am not too proud to admit I am utterly ignorant on the topic." Oralie was not worried that Karel would think her a dunce. They had shared a number of deeply intellectual conversations on patrols already this year. Only last week, they'd spoken well into the night on the topic of the Epidemic. That chat had kept them out of the dorms well past the end of their scheduled patrol. She had not minded, though, not at all really. It had been interesting...and she was always starved for interactions of worth and merit.

She looked pleased when he agreed that conjuring crowds and noise at practice might help. Oralie delighted in affirmation--a byproduct of being the youngest and always trying to earn her brothers and parents approval.

The girl had meant no offense when she had laughed at the notion of Karel hurting her. There was the possibility of that, of course. But that was the way of Quidditch. Seekers got Bludgers blasted at them. She needed the full on practice as much as he. She had on her toes and real danger was an important element of truly giving practice her all. Thankfully, he did not seem fussed by the reaction--and was even grinning at her. The expression was quite fetching really.

He called her adorable and a hint of color crept up onto her face. She giggled, rolling her eyes. A dainty hand came out and batted at him. A brief contact came between them, her fingers resting on his arm as she said: "Oh, I am not." But she knew the defense was unnecessary. His playfulness was not lost on her. In truth, it was reciprocated. She didn't let her touch linger, becoming just the smallest bit self conscious over it as another thought of his handsomeness flashed in her mind.

Plans were made for them to practice the following day, and a little flurry of butterflies came into her stomach. She pointedly ignored the reaction. Oralie was not going to entertain the possibility just then standing there in front of Karel that she might have a crush on the boy. He spoke kindly to her and his smile was met with a genuine one of her own. The expression brightened her eyes and softened her face. Appreciation for his support reflected in her gaze. "Thank you," she half-whispered, really meaning the words. It was good to have someone on her side. Something of a moment was occurring between them...or at least, it was for her. Her heart seemed to have gained a good bit of speed as she stood there looking at the boy. Her eyes darted from his lips to his eyes--but she dared not betray her interest any further than that quick furtive glance.