Death Eater
University of Bangor and Gráinneog Institute Alum
Occlumens
Hogwarts
played by Jade
"let the monsters see you smile"
options

Post by Draco Malfoy on May 2, 2019 12:21:18 GMT -5

Hi, first, I love you, because that is the kind of day this is: a happy, love filled day. And two, I would like to suggest that the common room boards be made like all the other boards. I have missed/forgotten threads and replies for threads in those areas because of not being able to see them. Example of a thread very recently like that was missing the one Rhea started for Oralie...and the one with Emanuel and Sasha was forgotten until it got to purgatory, which is SADNESS! And part of that is me sucking to update my list, but part of it is legitimate!

I know that the idea of having the common room password protected is fun and is a call back to the books, but in practice, I feel it is actually a detriment to RPing. Plus, everyone should get to read the cuteness that is Devin taunting Sasha in the common room with Witch Weekly. :-*
Admin Morgan
Admin Morgan Avatar
staff
8,041 posts
26 years old
Administrator
played by Morgan
"Life ain't all blueberries and paper airplanes, you know what I mean."
options

Post by Admin Morgan on May 2, 2019 18:05:57 GMT -5

Updated

Fineeee, removing passwords!
Amelia Aziza Travers
Amelia Aziza Travers Avatar
Slytherin
780 posts
Eighteen years old
Assistant to the Head of the Department of International Cooperation
First Year Alchemy Student
First Year Political Science Student at Lufkin University
Ministry
played by Steph
"you should see me in a crown"
options

Post by Amelia Aziza Travers on May 3, 2019 16:06:50 GMT -5

Hi, I figured this would be the best place to put it/I wasn't sure where else to put this!

I would like to request a CW for disordered eating, and a CW for body image issues?

(and on that note, I think it would be a good idea to have a board/post where people can comment asking for CWs if they're comfortable letting people know. if there is one, I couldn't find one!)
Admin Morgan
Admin Morgan Avatar
staff
8,041 posts
26 years old
Administrator
played by Morgan
options

Post by Admin Morgan on May 6, 2019 22:01:19 GMT -5

Updated

Those are already on the list! If anything is missing that anyone wants added, they only need to let me know! It's on the rule page!
Amelia Aziza Travers
Amelia Aziza Travers Avatar
Slytherin
780 posts
Eighteen years old
Assistant to the Head of the Department of International Cooperation
First Year Alchemy Student
First Year Political Science Student at Lufkin University
Ministry
played by Steph
"you should see me in a crown"
options

Post by Amelia Aziza Travers on Jun 4, 2019 16:12:42 GMT -5

Helllo!!

1) For another development challenge, making stimboards for characters! They're a bit more challenging than moodboards or pintrest boards, and they're a good way to show other sides of characters! They're mostly GIF imagery, and the images are mostly sensations-based. here are some examples!

2) For money in the bank-- making a YouTube advertisement for Insur? I remember that was once a suggestion for a challenge, but not many people tried their hands at it.
One minute-long advertisement, one galleon.
To make it more inclusive, maybe some extra money (ie, 1 sickle, 5 knuts or 10 knuts) could be added for each character shown. That could be incentive to not just hold it to a few people, and show the rich cast of characters we have!

3) A small page with short descriptions of magical universities in other countries we might have characters going to? definitely not on the level of the magical schools roster
Name of university, location of university, age of university, specialities in the university
That way, it could help create some cohesion, provide another tidy list, and if people are making characters or registering close NPCs from that region, they could have places where their characters could have gone!

4) Not every character in Insurrection goes by "male" or "female" and there's no certainty that all future characters will as well! While it might be strange to create a whole new category from a small pool (as the winners would be from a small cyle) and putting a third person up on the banner, what if there were simply two Characters of the Month, with notes that the nominations  had to be different genders? (And if the winners are both the same gender.  . .then so be it, really!)
    - If there should be a split, what about something like "Adult" and "Child/Hogwarts Student"? The latter would definitely have people be more active on their student accounts!
Adaline Lily Potter
Adaline Lily Potter Avatar
Gryffindor
154 posts
17 years old
Junior Assistant to the Minister for Magic
Reserve Seeker for Puddlemere United
Ministry
played by Jade
"rise and rise again like the phoenix from the ashes"
options

Post by Adaline Lily Potter on Jun 4, 2019 16:47:51 GMT -5

Suggestion regarding NPCs:

I think it would be reasonable to set some limits on NPC claims. For example maybe limit claims to only immediate family members. Or/and require a character have a number of posts before claims are permitted.

Further, unless a played character is heavily reliant on a plot point where an NPC has a role/job/etc, played characters should be able to pursue fulfilling that role. The owner of the NPC should be able to defend their NPC's appointment to the role/job. But to retain the job, they must have plot and post justifications.

For example:
Say two characters wanted to be Civil Divison Lawyers: Currently one of those positions is held by an NPC. However, it is not imperative for any played character that Jarred Rookwood be a Civil Division Lawyer. Amaryllis thinks about her son rarely in any form. Rhea and Saffron have not referenced his job explicitly. So, there are no posts the reference his job as a key plot point. So, played characters should be able to have that job.

Alternatively, say a character wanted to be the Director of Avalon.
Isidore Slughorn as Director of the Avalon School of Ballet has been referenced by multiplied characters and writers. Her status as an NPC in that role should be retained, since Constance, Melanie, and Oralie have all had posts that discuss the woman in the role and because it is truly defining of an element of Oralie's character.
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jun 6, 2019 12:24:58 GMT -5

1. to branch off of what steph said: characters of the month instead of a binary divide. it's both more inclusive, more logical, and sometimes there aren't any guys i wanna nominate. or the other way around. still doing two, obviously, but it'll save you from having four characters of the month.

2. thread of the month. obviously, there are threads we all stalk and are attached to. i know we did thread of the year, but this could take the place of the secondary character of the month.

3. pronouns in apps! from a coding standpoint it really isn't too hard? and it would be nice & inclusive. :)
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jul 1, 2019 21:52:52 GMT -5

Hello!

So thirding what Fai and Steph said I think that returning to non-binary noms is a good way to keep inclusive to characters who aren't strictly one way or another. It also gives off a baller vibe of us being inclusive to members who might relate to that? Coming out of pride month I feel like this deserves a refresh 😎👉👉

Also a suggestion about Writing Challenges. Maybe a poem month? For whatever reason I was feeling very poetic last month and I was like this would be a cool challenge to write a poem about your character or how your character is feeling or their vibe. Even if its a haiku like I was throwing around in gen chat the other day haha Just thought that would be real fun to read!
Admin Morgan
Admin Morgan Avatar
staff
8,041 posts
26 years old
Administrator
played by Morgan
options

Post by Admin Morgan on Jul 2, 2019 0:19:24 GMT -5

I want it noted that we did not change it back to male and female characters of the month to not be inclusive. We did it because it gives us a chance to highlight more amazing characters on site, and give more people a chance to win awards. This month, for instance, we had six winners between ties in male and female characters of the month, giving tons of characters that deserved it a chance to be nominated and win. With character, we will be showcasing half as many lovely characters each month, which is a shame in my opinion.

However, because it is being requested, we are returning to character of the month. You can still only nominate once per category.