birthday
blood status
Squib
sexual orientation
Heterosexual
occupation
Virologist and Microbiologist
general appearance
Wendy has never much cared for her appearance. To her, it always came secondary: she's always been more concerned with studying the mechanics of viruses than she was with what she wears. For years, it was simply lab coats and safety glasses. For years, it was jeans and t-shirts as she slaved away at the workbench. For years, it was always putting herself second...second to everyone and everything. Second class citizen...that was what they called her, wasn't it? But no more.

She's the one responsible for all of this. Now, she wears a smile. A dangerously knowing grin. Wendy also recently started wearing makeup...what can we say, she's feeling a little overly-confident, okay?

Her skin is a light chocolate brown and her dark eyes (when not shrouded by lab goggles) are piercing and dangerously cool. Almost as if she has a secret that she just won't share. Maybe she does...

former school
Institut La Gruyère
former house
N/A
achievements
Nonmagical boarding school in Switzerland, Top Marks, Learned Fluent French, Successfully harbored resentment for her magical siblings, except Art

university
University of Cambridge
university major(s)
Biology + Chemistry (Undergraduate), Microbiology and Virology (Graduate), Virology (PhD)
years attended
1991-1996 (Undergraduate), 1996-1998 (Graduate), 2002 (Finally completed her Doctoral Program)

skills
VIROLOGY: One of the muggle worlds foremost Virologists and Microbiologists, Wendy is most known for her research on unknown viral structures through ex-ray crystallography. She will be infamous and credited with co-creating the Squib Flu...if she and Art ever get caught.

TWIN POWERS: I don't know how else to phrase this. Being around Art seems to give her confidence and inspiration. Together, her and her brother can quite literally accomplish everything (like creating a disease that takes away magic...are you sensing a theme yet?)

ADVISE: Sometimes, it seems like Wendy has been through it all. She gives the best advice because she's been through it all. Helena values her mother's advice, especially. It seems like she always has a little nugget of wisdom that she's willing to share. Like how to get those awful bullies to stop pulling at her hair or making fun of the fact that her mum and dad are 'science nerds.'

LEADERSHIP: Wendy is a leader in the scientific community, and she's managed her fair share of labs over the years. She's a good boss and she considers herself to be an inspiring leader. Others listen to her...at least, people that aren't her immediately family do.

CURIOSITY: Problems with unknown solutions, things that have yet to be explored...Wendy likes diving into the unexplored and the uncharted. She likes taking things to new heights and escalating them. Sometimes, she can get a little out of hand, but curiosity is the mother of invention, isn't it?
weaknesses
BITTERNESS: Growing up, Wendy was looked down upon because she was nonmagical. She's never quite gotten over being born a Squib and it's viable that she never will. Wendy even constructed a virus that would wipe out magic expression in the magical community so everyone would need suffer as she had.

MAGIC: As a Squib, Wendy obviously struggles with magic. She cannot cast and cannot perform spells. She cannot fly on a broom. But she doesn't view this as a weakness...not anymore. Not when the entire world will soon be just like her.

TEMPER: Wendy has suffered so much at the hands of her own family (Art excluded). There are moments when she looses her temper, or lashes out at those around her. It's the reason that she disappeared after the first test subject died - anger because of her own failure (once again) and fear in her brother's involvement.

PLANTS: While Wendy is incredible working with genes, gene expression, and viruses, she has a hell of a knack for killing plants. She managed to kill the only cactus in her lab a few years ago, but leaves it on the windowsill as a reminder that even the deadest of things can sometimes be worth looking after.

HER BROTHER: The only magical human being that has ever treated her with kindness. Wendy would do anything for her brother...including disappearing to pin their first test subject's death on herself. Now that the disease is out, it's time she talked with him about what they'll do next.

SELF-CONTROL: Wendy and Art went a little overboard creating a virus that would quite literally destroy magic. That's not a little overboard, is it?

FORGIVENESS: "As my good friend Mr. Darcy once said, 'My good opinion once lost is lost for ever.'" Wendy quickly makes up her mind about people and about what they have done to her. Treat her wrong and she has a difficult time forgiving you. Unless you're Art. After all, the fact that he got magic and she did not wasn't his fault. It was simple genetic expression.
positive traits
ADAPTABLE - ARTICULATE - BIG-THINKING - BRILLIANT - CONFIDENT - COURAGEOUS - DEDICATED - FOCUSED - INTUITIVE - LOGICAL - LOYAL - PASSIONATE (about taking away magic...) - MATERNAL - PERFECTIONIST - PRINCIPLED (to her own set of moral codes and ethics) - SELF-SUFFICIENT
negative traits
AMBITIOUS - BITTER - COMPETITIVE - CYNICAL - DECEPTIVE - FIERY - HATEFUL - INDULGENT - INTENSE - PERFECTIONIST (this is on both positive and negative!) - JUDGMENTAL - MEDDLESOME - SELF-CRITICAL - UNETHICAL (c'mon, she's trying to take away magic...it's just a little immoral) - VINDICTIVE
hobbies/interests
Virology - Spending time with her husband and her daughter - Running experiments that could possibly bring about the end of magic as we know it - Merlot - Origami (it's a very satisfying stress reliever) - Painting (she actually has quite the creative side and is excellent at "Wine and Designs") - Kickboxing - Playing Cards with Helena - Studying - Muggle Football - Avoiding her siblings and parents - Research - Experimentation - Discovering something new
accomplishments
Young Virologist of the Year, granted by the Foundation for Research on Viral Diseases (1999) - for her work on investigating unknown viral structures through X-ray crystallography | Created the Squib Flu....is this an accomplishment?

character history
I will never understand it.

I've tried my whole life. Why...why did Art's genes express and not mine? Why was he the one gifted with magic? Why were all of them gifted with magic?

My name is Wednesday Buchanan and I was born twelve minutes after my brother. And how different we were. I didn't know it at first. None of us did. For a few years, I was just like every other Buchanan in the world. There was happiness, then. I remember it well - like a distant memory. Happiness. Smiles from my father...and my mother. New siblings that I was...excited for. My, how things have changed.

For a few years, I convinced myself that the love my family felt for me would make my magic appear. I convinced myself that because I believed, I would be a witch. Unfortunately, it didn't take long for my inability to shine through. Art sparked with tiny hints of magic from a young age...but me? Well, I never did. We waited and we waited. They looked and they looked. But every time Art would do something extraordinary, I was simply ordinary.

I thought that perhaps they had all been wrong. After all, a Buchanan had never in the history of our family tree been born without magic. It was impossible. It should have been impossible.

But my worst fears came true the day that one lone Hogwarts letter arrived via owl shortly before Art's first year at Hogwarts. I resented him that day. White hot resentment. How did he deserve this when I didn't? What made him special? What made me ordinary? A rage grew in me at age eleven. One that I wasn't proud of, but one that festered just the same.

My father treated me differently after that. I couldn't look at him for fear that I would see that same expression on his face: hatred. He hated me. His first daughter...his second child. How could someone who had loved me so heartedly change his mind because I didn't receive a letter? A stupid piece of parchment that invited me to an overrated school?!

My mother shipped me off after that. I imagine that just looking on me made my father sick to his stomach or something dramatic like that. My mother had little to offer in terms of reassurance, except to tell me that the Institute La Gruyère would be the best place for me while my father "adjusted to the news."

It was a wonderful school - offering education unlike any in England. I quickly rose to the top of my class, taking my anger out on my studies. I would go for hours, days even, without eating or sleeping as I crammed as much information into my brain as possible. I didn't get along with most of the other students, though there were a few that managed to bring me out of my shell. But everyone compared to the other half of me that I had lost. I often wrote to Art, though it was difficult to bridge the gap between the muggle world and the magical while I was in Switzerland. But sometimes, I would receive letters from him. Or small chocolate frogs that hopped around my bedroom. Little secrets I held close to my heart for as much as I hated the world that had shunned me...a part of myself would never quite get over magic and all its splendor.

Art and I graduated at about the same time. My parents allowed me to come with them to Hogwarts for his matriculation ceremony. It was the first and only time I saw the school and all its splendor. Years spent telling myself I "wasn't missing out" seemed to go down the drain. I had to bury myself further after that, picking up a double major at Cambridge. Art and I often took weekends to spend time together or study, but the travel between our two universities was taxing...especially given that I was restricted to travel by train.

My relationship with Art waxed and waned over the next few years. I was separated by my studies and a seemingly magical barrier that kept us apart. While he dealt with the tumultuous politics of the Wizarding World, I pursued my graduate degrees in Microbiology and Virology. The study of diseases...the study of genes...the study of magical expression.

It was around that time that I met Gabriel Reese. An aspiring doctor that crossed my path in a medical lab in 1998, we instantly hit it off. His love of learning and appreciation for research made me feel as if we were destined to be together. He didn't mind that I was different. After all, how could he? He didn't even know that witches and wizards existed. Perhaps that was what I loved most about him. He saw me for what I was: a brilliant virologist on the cusp of something...not what I had failed to be.

My brother and I kept in touch. He came to the wedding, bringing his children and his wife. I always liked them the most. Aunt Wendy, Aunt Wendy! It felt good to have someone in the family not look at me as a total disappointment. In 2003, we welcomed Helena into the world. My only daughter. And, just like me, she didn't and continues not to express magic. That was when I caught on....what if it was genetic?

I tried not to think about it...I worked hard, gained notoriety in the scientific communities, and soon the entire world had their eyes on me. What would she discover next? How would Wendy Buchanan change the world? It didn't matter that I lacked magic. I had science.

But I wanted more. It started out as a joke. Wouldn't it be hilarious if they all had a taste of their own medicine? Wouldn't father think it funny. But the more Art and I tossed around the ideas, the more feasible it became. I stayed busy working in every lab that I could get my finger into but keeping my own little side projects. Exploring the differences between my DNA and that of my siblings. Exploring the reason that I was different.

October 2016 wasn't pretty. I knew what had happened - Art told me. He told me how giddy all of them were. But I could have never expected...never expected that they would have treated me that way. I should have seen it coming. They couldn't let me exist in peace. I was a sham...a disappointment. I was a blemish on their pureblood legacy. Art took me away, but not before I had made up my mind. This wasn't a joke. Taking away their magic...making all of them see what it was like. It wasn't a joke. It was going to be their reality.

Art spurred me on with his own fever. Together, we pushed one another to the brink each and every day. We stayed in the lab for hours, locking ourselves away as we worked. The creation was easy once I understood. Years of study had prepared me for this moment. And finally, after a year, we were ready for trials.

But of course, finding subjects willing to relinquish their magic proved difficult, as expected.

It wasn't pretty. The death, I mean. It ate through him like a plague, pulling apart his cells and destroying him from the inside out. A pureblood man. We had killed a pureblood man.

I disappeared after that. It was easier than explaining why my brother had been involved. I could be the scapegoat. I could run into the muggle world and never look back. But just as Gabriel and Helena and I were to take the train to Paris, I saw it. Plastered on the front page of an abandoned piece of parchment in the train station, I recognized the paper from my childhood. THE DAILY PROPHET. The cover story? MYSTERIOUS DISEASE SPREADS THROUGH ENGLAND, DISAPPEARING MAGIC.

He had done it. My god, he'd done it.

In truth, I will never be one of them.

But now, they will be one of me.

parents
Father: Pierce Jordan Buchanan - pureblood, age 73, Slytherin alum, Alchemist, Lufkin Alum, Wizengamot Member (Buchanan Family Head), Death Eater
Mother: Juliette Cressida Buchanan (nee Shacklebolt) - pureblood, age 67, Slytherin alum, Owner of JC Ales and Spirits, Brewer, Distiller
siblings
Twin Brother: - pureblood, age 45, Magical Bugs and Diseases Healer, Potioneer, Alchemist
Younger Sister: Liza Malvina Proctor (nee Buchanan) - pureblood, age 43, Slytherin alum, Metal Charmer, Necromancer, Death Eater
Younger Brother: Kyle Tybalt Buchanan - pureblood, age 40, Slytherin alum, Lufkin University Librarian, Magical Historian, Lufkin Alum, Death Eater
children
Daughter: Helena Reese - 15, Muggle, Student at Institut La Gruyère
partner
Husband: Gabriel Reese - 46, Muggle Neurologist
other family
Celestina has a beautiful family tree (WITH SOME ADOPTABLES) you can look at if you'd like!
family history
Lifted from Art's app:

George Buchanan was a bitter man. The oldest son of John Buchanan and Mary Proctor, George was proud of his pureblood heritage. And he was more than willing to abide by his father's law when John Buchanan demanded that the rest of his children - all eleven of them - cut off all ties with their Squib sibling, Angus. The rest of his siblings, however, did not see things quite the same way. The result was... a rather bitter and proud pureblooded George Buchanan.

Fast forward a few generations to Pierce Buchanan, George's great-grandson. The Buchanan name is still pureblood, and Pierce is a proud Slytherin. Born in 1945, Pierce missed the Global Wizarding War but was around to support Lord Voldemort in both of his wars, surely. A powerful Alchemist with a creative mind, he carried the same stringent beliefs as his great-grandfather, grandfather, father... purebloods are superior. Muggleborns are thieves. Squibs are traitors. But Pierce was just a little smarter about exactly how vocal he would be, so these were not opinions that people knew all that well. They were his own, and he came out of the First Wizarding War unscathed; the second, he only suffered a short year in Azkaban.

Juliette Shacklebolt was a blood traitor. An ambitious woman, without a doubt. A pureblood, certainly. But a blood traitor. She had been a Slytherin as well, but six years below Pierce, so Hogwarts had not been their first encounter. No, it was at nineteen years old when Juliette was ambitiously working away at opening her own brewery and distillery business that she first met Pierce Buchanan. Out of the context of magic and of familial obligation, Pierce was drawn in and Juliette felt enchanted. And when they went back to the magical world, it was all just too perfect that she was a pureblood. But for Juliette... it meant abandoning a lifetime of believing in equality. But anything for love, right?

They were married in the summer of 1970 and were welcoming their first children just three years later, Artaxerxes and Wednesday. After them came Liza, two years later, and then Kyle, another three years later. One big happy Buchanan family.

other
Hello, yes, Q here again...
face claim
Taraji P. Henson
status of application
complete
have you read the rules?
No way
how did you hear about us?
Floo Network
roleplay sample

Deleted