birthday
blood status
Halfblood
sexual orientation
Heterosexual
occupation
Journalism Professor at Lufkin | Spell Invention Professor at Lufkin | Author
general appearance
Hiram always looks tired. Baggy circles under his eyes look like the product from many sleepless nights. His hair has long since grown out from a dapper buzz cut, and is now long and straggly. Untamed, it falls to his shoulders, nearly. He can often be found with five-o'clock shadow or some variation of a beard. Sometimes, it looks as if he's hiding behind his facial hair. As a professor, he prefers to wear more casual clothing, opting for jeans and sweaters in lieu of suits and ties. He doesn't particularly like to wear shoes or use desks in his classroom, instead opting for an open-air classroom with large bean bags and pillows for seating...call it the product of Summers with The Wanderers. 

former school
Hogwarts
former house
Gryffindor
achievements
Played Quidditch, Founding Father of The Advocate (and is the one credited with coming up with the magically hidden centerfold for students to really speak their mind)

university
Lufkin University
university major(s)
Journalism, Spell Invention
years attended
1977-81 (Double Major)

skills
PHOTO JOURNALISM: A long time ago, Hiram used to be a photo journalist for Wizarding International, a magazine primarily containing articles about magic, geography, history, and wizarding world culture. As the lead photographer for the magazine, Hiram used to venture into unknown lands and situations to get the perfect scoop, seeking truth and never-before-seen stories...even if it means putting himself in danger.

COURAGE: When he used to work for Wizarding International, Hiram would put himself in harm's way just to score a one-of-a-kind scoop. Whether it meant going into an accent ruin with an archeologist and curse breaker, or entering a war zone with political emissaries, Hiram was always up for an adventure of a lifetime.

MEDICINAL MAGIC: During his time with the тэнүүчлүүлэгчид (tenüüchlüülegchid - english: Wanderers, as I will refer to them from now on), a magical, highly secretive, nomadic people of Siberia, Hiram was able to pick up basic medical magic to help those in need. He delivered a few babies, saved some appendages after particularly brutal winters, and offered last rites to those who were unable to be saved.

SPELL INVENTION: Hiram has always had a knack for creating new magic and crafting spells. He can twist magic to his will and craft new spells from nothing. He's credited as the inventor of the Freeze Frame Spell (Frigidus artus), a difficult, near impossible incantation that freezes time for three seconds allowing a few extra moments to decipher a fatal glyph or snap the perfect photo.

TEACHING: He's a man that's seen a lot of the world - he's seen a lot of the good and a lot of the bad. He's got knowledge to share - both in terms of journalism (and what it takes to be a true journalist) and spell invention. He's eager to pass his knowledge on to the next generation, because he doesn't have an heir to teach (at least, not that he knows about).

WRITING: Through everything that Hiram has been through, he still manages to find time to write. Little articles here and there, usually, but he's been working on a book about his experiences over the past twenty-four years. What he's seen...what he's done...what he's experienced. It's supposed to make the bestseller's list when it's released. So far he's done a few speaking engagements promoting it and the turnout has been phenomenal.
weaknesses
SOCIAL SITUATIONS: Hiram's been out of the loop for some time. A (willing?) captive of the Wanderers in Siberia, he's only recently returned to England (and what a time, too...holy moly!). He doesn't quite know how to handle himself around people who ask too many questions about where he's been or what he's been doing. Instead, he likes to deflect and turn the topic of conversation back to journalism or spell invention. After all, those are much easier to talk about than how you were kidnapped, enslaved, un-enslaved, and basically joined a nomadic tribe in Siberia, right?

SNAKES: Listen, he just doesn't like them. He doesn't want to talk about it, but it has something to do with a dig site that he visited with a couple of curse breakers back nearly thirty years ago. Fell into a cavern full of snakes. Scarred (and scared) him for life, apparently. The Wanderers tried to feed him snake once. It didn't go over well. (This also has to do with Charity, but he doesn't want to admit it, I guess.)

BLEEDING HEART: Despite everything that has happened to Hiram over the years, he is a bleeding heart and often dangerously soft-hearted. It was the reason that he stayed with the Wanderers for so long - the reason that he assimilated into their society. It was only when they abandoned him in a village in Mongolia that he actually decided to return to England and to the world that he had once been a part of.

CHARITY: She was his first love...he didn't know what happened to her until he returned to England earlier this year. Sort of broke his heart, but he tried not to dwell on it for too long. At least, that was what he told himself. It was twenty five years ago. They were only just dating...it wasn't anything serious, right? (Poor guy's actually really really torn up about this).

TALKING ABOUT HIMSELF: Honestly, Hiram used to have a pretty kick-ass job. As the lead photojournalist for Wizarding International, he would travel the globe and take on adventures that even the boldest of men might not try. But these days, he's just trying to figure out how to assimilate back into society. He has a hard time talking about himself and his past and can come across as pretty closed off to others.
positive traits
ADVENTUROUS (at least, he used to be...these days, he's much more comfortable in a classroom) - ALERT - CONTEMPLATIVE - COURAGEOUS - CULTURED - DUTIFUL - GALLANT - HELPFUL - HONEST - INCISIVE - KNOWLEDGEABLE - MODEST - RATIONAL - RESOURCEFUL - SUAVE (just a little bit, I think. He's got some swagger down there somewhere, just gotta break his shell, first) - UNDERSTANDING
negative traits
CALCULATING (do what it takes to survive) - CHALLENGING (his classes are nowhere near easy!) - CALLOUS - EMOTIONALLY UNAVAILABLE - FEARFUL (he will not admit this) - GLOOMY - IMPATIENT - INSECURE - PARANOID - MILDLY PESSIMISTIC - SECRETIVE
hobbies/interests
Running - Taking pictures (mostly these days, he prefers still lives and nature photos, sometimes those of animals if he's feeling adventurous. One day he hopes to put out a photography book from all his years working at Wizarding International) - Writing - Journaling - Helping people when he can - Learning about other cultures - Drinking his coffee with cinnamon and a little bit of nutmeg - Spell Invention - Nature and exploring, though he doesn't get too far from home these days - After returning from Siberia, he saw one episode of Keeping Up with the Kardashians, and is rather hooked, though he won't admit this to anyone EVER - Gin and tonics - Fireplaces - S'mores (surprise, surprise, add a dash of cinnamon for an excellent little kick and surprise) - Lakes - Fresh Air - Camping - Cold Weather - Probably eventually getting to know Blake...
accomplishments
Lead Photojournalist for Wizarding International Magazine. Creator of the Freeze Frame Spell, a life saver for photographers all over the world! Returned after presumed dead for 25 years after being kidnapped, enslaved, un-enslaved, and sort of employed by a nomadic tribe in Siberia known as the Wanderers. Worst dad in the whole wide world because he doesn't even know that he has a daughter?

character history
It's been a long time since I've had to talk about this. Fortunately, the book I'm writing ("The Wanderers," in case you're looking for something to pick up and read this coming Holiday), just covers what happened after I went missing. There was no need for me to get into the nitty-gritty in that one.

But here? Yeah, here I guess you'll be needing that, won't you?

Alright. Name, first off, then. That's an easy one. Hiram Ulysses Fitzgerald. First son of the Fitzgeralds, second to none. One sister, Shiloh. A few years younger than me. Parents? Yeah, yeah I've got 'em. Or...I did. Allis MacGuffin, pureblood. And James Fitzgerald, halfblood.

That's all the easy stuff. (This is why we hire editors, Hiram. This is exactly why we hire editors.)

Now that you've got the basics, we can dive in a little deeper. Growing up, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do "when I was an adult." My da worked for the Ministry of Magic's Spirit Divison, my mum, Allis, was from a pureblood family and took great pains to raise a happy home and family for my father. With two kids and not enough money to go around, we were lucky if we got more than porridge and bread for our meals. My mother was a pureblood, you see, but by marrying my da, she had lowered her station, meaning her parents refused to pay any more into helping her. So there we were, barely struggling to make end's meet. But somehow, we survived.

Fitzgeralds are strong - they keep after things like that. No matter what happens, you keep fighting, tooth and nail. You keep fighting until there's nothing worth fighting for and when that happens...well, we just pray that never happens.

Shiloh and I were close growing up, both in age and in temperament. We were sorted into Gryffindor two years apart. I set quite the bar for her. I wanted to go into journalism - read a lot of the Daily Prophet at home - and even started my own newspaper at Hogwarts, The Advocate. Rumor has it, they've still got it circulating...and that secret page? Still in use. That was my first try at manipulating a spell. It was a protego charm that I used to keep prying eyes (looking at you Dumbledore) away from official Advocate business. It was a way for us to say how we really felt...no holding back. Guess kids still find it useful.

Anyway, graduated a few years later and went on to Lufkin Uni where I studied Journalism and Spell Invention. It was about that time I met Charity Burbage. Muggleborn girl with a knack for History. She was in a few of my classes, trying to make her way through school, but she taught me more than classes ever could.

Charity was the one who always said to follow my heart. It didn't matter if my head was pulling me one way and my feet another...all that mattered was that I needed to follow my heart and be true to myself. A few years later, I scored a job with Wizarding International Magazine as their lead photojournalist. I had Char to thank. For a few years, I traveled on and off, sending her letters and postcards from Merlin only knew where. Africa, Asia, Australia, the United States...where ever my stories carried me, I sent small pieces of my heart back to Charity.

I was going to ask her to marry me twenty-five years ago. Right before I was shipped off to Siberia to run a piece on a nomadic tribe called The Wanderers that had been spotted up near Mongolia, but the ring had fallen through and things weren't great, but I promised her we'd talk when I got back.

Of course, that never happened.

Turns out the nomadic tribe wasn't quite as friendly as the sources had let on. They killed my partner, taking me hostage and deep into the mountains nearby. For a few years, I was enslaved...desperate for my freedom, until I realized that I had to earn it. I began helping them - showing them the advances of magic that they didn't have (they were untrained magic users, desperate for every bit of knowledge they could soak up). In exchange for my teachings, they would allow me to walk freely among them.

I grew to be a part of the tribe, much like any other. We easily conversed in their native tongue and I taught them English as best I could. Their magic advanced over the next twenty years...until the chief passed away and a new chief took the Wanderers. I was exiled shortly thereafter - left alone in the cold winter months to find my way back to civilization. It's a miracle that I made it, but somehow...here I am. After months of interrogation, I arrived back in England, hoping to start fresh.

A lot of people want to know about what happened to the photojournalist that had been gone so many years...so it's the perfect chance for me to write it all down. Tell the world about the Wanderers and what wonderful people they are if we only give ourselves the chance to understand them.

I have returned home, but I'm still unsure of the world around me. Charity is gone.

But sometimes, I swear I can feel her nearby.

parents
James Fitzgerald - Father, Deceased
Allis Fitzgerald (nee MacGuffin) - Mother, Deceased
siblings
Shiloh Fitzgerald - 57, Sister, Retired Ministry Auror
children
@blake - 24, Daughter, Personal Assistant to the Dean of Bangor University, Gossip for Vexed Magazine, Herbologist
partner
Charity Burbage - Girlfriend, Deceased
other family
Related to the MacGuffin family tree.
family history
The MacGuffin family was a prominent Irish pureblood family in the early days, but they slowly fell toward the bottom of the ranks as the modern age took hold of the wizarding world.

Allis MacGuffin, daughter of Niamh and Colm MacGuffin, was the youngest of the three MacGuffin children. Her older brother went on to marry a pureblood (Declan into the Sacred 28 by marrying Saorise Macmillan) and her older sister married into a Greek pureblood family in Athens. Allis, on the other hand, had different ideas on what she wanted to do with her life.

James Fitzgerald wasn't a pureblood. A military man from South London, he had a bit of a chip on his shoulder. After retiring from the Queen's Royal Navy, he took odd jobs as a security officer around the UK. A muggle man with a strange sense of curiosity, he met Allis while he was stationed as a security detail at a local bank.

Immediately fascinated with one another, it didn't take long before they had eloped, therey severing the pureblood lineage of Allis' line (and whatever relationship she once had with her parents) and bought a tiny apartment in London.Their marriage resulted in one halfblood son, Hiram. And a halfblood daughter, Shiloh.

other
Please meet Sean Beandiana Jones
face claim
Sean Bean
status of application
complete
have you read the rules?
Nope
how did you hear about us?
Nope
roleplay sample

Admin Morgan