Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Oct 24, 2018 21:13:22 GMT -5

24 October 2018

@karel ,

I hope this finds you well. How has everything at Hogwarts been going? Anything exciting going in your classes, Quidditch? Fifth year is an important time, I hope you know to make the best of it.

I hate to bring it up, after everything that has happened, but have you been feeling sick at all? This sickness that has been going around, the one I caught, doesn't look like it has affected anyone young... but you can never be too careful. So keep an eye out for any symptoms, and make sure to get that checked if you have even the slightest cough.

This has been very dangerous, for all of us. A magical world without magic sounds ridiculous. The Ministry is trying to pick itself up now, but some departments aren't faring as well. Mine has been lucky, depending so little on magic, but I also get to see that there is a number to the damage this epidemic has caused. It's been keeping me rather busy, unfortunately. Sometimes I honestly forget I've lost my magic--I ended up driving all the way to Galway today, just to clear my head. Unsurprisingly, driving only reminded me more how much things he changed as of late. No one could have seen this coming, and part of me worries that we'll never recover.

But these shouldn't be your worries. Focus on school. On being prefect. Let me know how things are going, or if you need anything from me. I'm always just an owl away, nephew.

Uncle Nik
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Oct 25, 2018 11:00:36 GMT -5

Uncle @nikolaj ,

As usual your owls are prompt in their deliveries.

Hogwarts is Hogwarts, I'm studying well and my... business we spoke of is going well, I'm starting to work on expanding it a little for my last few years. It will however take a lot of thorough planning. I'm tired of 'helping' people with pointless issues like relationships and failed tests. I'm trying to minimise that and focus on more valuable deals.

Classes are... interesting, half of them are having to focus on written work because of the sickness you're speaking of, I'll get back to that though. Quidditch is the same, training is in full swing. There's a chaser who is quite skilled on the broom but she loathes me; it provides endless hours of amusement to see her get angry at me.

I am making the best of my fifth year, or I like to think I am. I am focusing on my studies, but I'm not like those insufferable Ravenclaw's who do nothing but study, it comes in a full circle to focusing on business arrangements; something I will discuss with you in more detail when I next see you. I'm assuming you'll still be visiting me at the next Hogsmeade weekend? I'll keep you updated on that, I don't know whether the trips will continue to be cancelled because of this sickness going around.

No, Uncle I assure you I've not been feeling unwell; it's unusual none of the students are showing any sign of sickness. I was expecting at least a few to get sick, but it doesn't seem that way; or if it is they're keeping it very quiet. I can't speak for the teachers though, a few of them were sick with the flu and when they came back they had no magic.

How have you been faring with the sickness? I've been worried about you, are you managing without your magic? How many of your department are sick? I can imagine the auror's are struggling. What about mother and father? Are they unwell do you know, I've not heard from them for a while so I'm slightly worried, especially considering mother usually owls me at least once a week.

Galway? That's quite a distance isn't it? How long did you have to drive for? I can agree that the changes in our world are astounding; you alone for example, I could never imagine you willingly driving once upon a time. I'm sure we will recover, if not then that could mean we'll potentially become extinct; for lack of better words. I hope we can recover soon, it will just take time unfortunately.

Uncle Nik, you know I always worry about my family. I will focus on my studies though so don't worry too much about me. I'll keep you updated on everything here, but please Uncle Nik; keep me updated on the wellbeing of all of you.

Karel
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Oct 31, 2018 12:27:38 GMT -5

27 October 2018

Karel,

I'm glad to hear things are going well with your studies. And your little business. Connections are always important, of course. Even the most trivial ones should not be dismissed too quickly. But I trust that you know what you're doing in that respect. You might be a Higgs by name, but you have Kopitar blood running through your veins--and we Kopitars know how to talk to just the right people. Keep up your studies and tread your way carefully enough, I might be seeing you in the Ministry as an intern in the next year.

Yes, you should have your first game of the season coming up soon, no? Let me know how that goes. A Chaser that loathes you, is that so? Amusing as it must be, I can't help but ask if there's any particular reason behind this so-called loathing? Either way, never forget that Beaters don't just hit bludgers. They protect Chasers. Call it advice from someone that has been in your shoes.

That is good to hear. Your OWL exams are this year, after all, and I assume you are striving to excel. Yes, I should be able to see you next Hogsmeade weekend. Just let me know when Hogwarts reinstates them and I'll find my way over. I am excited to hear everything you've been up to. I surely hope they will not be cancelled indefinitely. I think your mother might just pick a fight with someone if that happens.

Good--I am happy to hear you are not sick. You have an education and a future to pursue, and that is all that matters. I hope, at least, you are still managing to learn things despite the professors losing their magic. But if things are bad, we can try to set up some tutors for you over the break. I know studying over the break is the last thing you would want, but it is something worth considering.

I have been struggling, I will admit. Using the Floo to get everywhere is an utter nightmare, but at least I can still do my job without magic, and the department is surviving. We are a bit short of Arithmancers, but otherwise we are... surviving. The same cannot be said for the Auror Office and the Obliviator Headquarters, unfortunately, and that shows in the numbers. It is a work in progress, though. I can only hope that time will fix things. Your parents are doing well enough--I'll let them know to send you an owl soon. We have all been busy, especially your mother with everything going on at St. Mungo's.

It was quite the drive--a whole three hours, but it did help clear my head a bit. Strange how so many things are changing, I agree. But hopefully things will return to normal soon.

That is what I like to hear, Karel. Being a student is a full-time job, after all. Hopefully I will see you soon.

Uncle Nik
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Nov 3, 2018 14:37:57 GMT -5

29th October 2018

Uncle,

Connections are surprisingly easy to make for me, as long as you know the right things to say to each students they become putty in your hands. It’s far too easy to find out things I want to know or in some cases need to know. Naturally, I use some of these things to my advantage. I attend my classes and make sure I do well. I’ll admit, subjects like Divination and Muggle Studies are a bit of a waste of my time, but I attend them and I do well. I guess Muggle Studies is important right now though, especially with people losing their magic. The teachers here are certainly something. I feel a majority know what I’m doing but overlook it. Either I don’t cause enough trouble and use my words properly so they don’t feel they need to worry. Or my ties to you and mother; I feel like it’s probably the latter though. After all, I know I still have a long way to go before I can be classed as overly successful. I look forward to interning at the Ministry, after all I’m giving people no reason not to. Prefect, Quidditch player and consistently good grades; I know the game to play and it’s a long game. Although that’s not to say I don’t actually want t a job at the Ministry because I do; I just know an internship isn’t necessary to get me there.

My first game is the November third, we go against Ravenclaw. I feel confident that our training is going well though, it’s just unfortunate that it’s a game of chance when it comes to Quidditch. As for the chaser? It’s clear, she cannot handle my incredible good looks when I’m near her on the broom. I joke of course, she doesn’t like people looking after her and ‘saving’ her. And it’s like you said, as a Beater I protect her and she doesn’t like it. It’s admirable really. She’s a fiery one and got spunk, I’ll give her that.

There was supposed to be a Hogsmeade weekend this month, when it came to the sickness though it got cancelled, as you know, although none of the student body found out until the day it was supposed to be. There should be one in November though, when I find out dates and if we can actually go that time, I’ll tell you immediately. It would be nice to see at least one family member. Mother would probably win a fight like that though, she’d probably make Hogsmeade happen every weekend given half the chance; I could get on board with that though if I’m being honest.

I’d prefer not to have any tutors, but if I do find myself struggling, I’ll tell you just before I come home for Christmas so that we can arrange something. At least books can’t get sick; I have the library to help when necessary here at least. Not ideal, but I manage to squeeze everything in somehow.

That’s unfortunate about the lack of Arithmancers, but you have some outstanding employees in your section. I think in the areas that you lack, you could probably pick up the slack easily enough. After all, you always chose employees with such precision. Is there no hint of potions being worked on or anything even remotely like that? We need magic to survive, our kind should be trying harder than they already are to fix this epidemic.

I look forward to seeing or hearing from you soon.

Karel
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Nov 23, 2018 11:47:50 GMT -5

1 November 2018

Karel,

Good--connections are always important. That is a good habit to work on. Whether or not your professors overlook anything, it's always better to err on the side of caution. Ambition is good, but so is self-preservation. There's value in everything, whether we see it or not. I would suspect it is useful to be a Higgs, in these times, and your mother's work at St. Mungo's certainly hasn't gone unnoticed. Change is inevitable, though, and we don't always see it coming. Building your own reputation is also good. Being an expert with your words is a great skill. You might find yourself in politics like that--something to consider, once you start applying for internships. It wouldn't be necessary to get you to where you want to be, but it will certainly help. One of my International Trade Administration employees did one here for two years, and it just made him an even better addition to the department once he graduated. You can start those after your fifth year, correct? Have you given much thought to what you would like to pursue?

Ah, Quidditch is always a fine balance between chance and skill. You just have to get used to tipping the scales. Best of luck with your game, Karel. Let me know how it goes.

Incredible good looks? Careful with that ego, it's a Kopitar curse. Sounds to me like you rather enjoying being the Beater, in this situation. Whether or not you want my advice... the independent ones that take the most work are usually most worth it, too. Don't reach for low-hanging fruit.

Hopefully, the next trip will happen. I will be there for sure, and I'm sure your parents will want to see you, as well. And then there will be the holidays. You are right, though. If Hogwarts keeps cancelling these trips, it's your mother's wrath they'll have to face, and I'm not sure anyone is stupid enough to risk that.

Things are slowly picking up at work, at least, and we do have hard-working employees. Being in this department, though, gives me a rather bleak outlook on how the rest of the magical world is doing. Unsurprisingly, the economy took a hit. Healers are hard at work for a cure, last I heard, but progress has been slow and unproductive. Nothing is consistent, from what your mother has told me. Magic is at our core, though. I can only hope that we will get it back. This all makes you think quite hard, though, about its nature.

Take care,

Uncle Nik
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Dec 20, 2018 13:41:21 GMT -5

6th November 2018

Uncle Nik,

Firstly I wanted to apologise for taking so long to reply to you. Training for Quidditch became much more intense as we drew closer to the match and then my patrols heightened a lot too.

Anyway, you taught me that from a very young age and it’s something I hold dear to me, your advise has never led me astray after all, you’re one of the reliable people to give me guidance. You, mother and father. Everyone else I’m suitably sceptical of. I assure you, I don’t get too arrogant, just enough confidence to earn me respect, but not too much to stir trouble. I know how to play the game, and I try to play it as close to the rules as possible, but not too much. My name does certainly seem to carry something about it; I wouldn’t be even remotely surprised if people admitted that it’s only because of my name that people turn a blind eye. Alas, we’ll never know; whatever the case though, I intend to use it to my advantage.

Politics? That is something to think about, it could be a potential career path, but I’m not sure if that would be my strong point. You never know though, I guess I have enough time left at school to grow and learn. We’ll see where I stand when I graduate. You’re right about internships, I haven’t really given it too much thought but I’ve done a fair amount of research. I actually was wondering if maybe I could join you at work one day during the holidays. See first hand what things are like at the Ministry, maybe it could help me decide. Also I wouldn’t turn any guidance you might choose to offer me, Uncle.

We won our match, but only just. It was a close game, our team are still a little rough around the edges. Oralie Slughorn is trying her best but she’s understandably doubting herself. We’re going to train tomorrow so we can talk a little more, we’ll just have to see how that goes.

Mother is rather terrifying when mad, why do you think I never cross her path? The school would be fools, although admittedly it’d be quite funny to see mother lose her temper with the teachers… maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad idea for her to get angry.

How bad a hit did the economy take? Is it possible to work around it and sort it out sooner rather than later or do you believe it may continue to deteriorate as our lack of magic continues? I’ll have to ask mother for more details, I can imagine it’s stressing her a lot; maybe hearing from her ‘darling boy’ will help give her a boost.

Regards,
Karel