by Morgan
birthday
blood status
Muggleborn
sexual orientation
Bisexual
occupation
Maid for the Parkinson Household

former Chief Operating Officer of Lucent Electronics and Senior Electronic Engineer
(“And don’t you dare say I got where I was because I’m a Carmody. That’s Fionn. He gets the familial perks. Just look at any Vexed issue and you’ll wonder how he’s CEO.”)
general appearance
The first thing you notice when you look at Nora are her eyes. They have always been her best feature.

“Well, them and my lips. What, it’s true!”

Okay yes, fine, between the eyes and the lips, you definitely wouldn’t be wrong to call her attractive. Normally, she doesn’t find the need to play it up that much. She owns about two shades of lipstick and she thinks that’s pretty much all she needs. Most of the time, she doesn’t bother with makeup at all. Especially these days. She’s got dark hair that was usually in a ponytail when doing engineering work at Lucent, but now is most often found in a bun —

“Can I cut you off? I really don’t think we need to say any more about my appearance.”

Fine. Also, she’s five foot, four and a half inches, if we’re being specific. But that’s all we’re going to say, apparently.

former school
Hogwarts
former house
Ravenclaw
achievements
Ravenclaw Prefect (1999-2002)
Transfiguration Club member (1994-2002; minus the 1997-1998 school year, where she was not in attendance)
Arithmancy Club member (1995-1999, 2001-2002), Arithmancy Club leader (1999-2001)
Dueling Club Member (1998-2002; joined when she arrived back at Hogwarts after the war)

university
Gráinneog Institute
university major(s)
Engineering
years attended
2002-2006

skills
ANALYTICAL THINKING ☙ She will credit everything she knows to her parents, especially her father, since he is an engineer himself and taught her everything that she knows. But she also just has a quick mind and when it's put to the test, she proves that she's excellent at looking at data and information and drawing not only the natural conclusion from them but also alternative solutions.
POKER FACE ☙ If she doesn't want you to know what she's thinking or how she is feeling, you're not going to know. That has come especially in handy in the past couple of years. Exception if you are a Malfoy and your name starts with a D. Then you might be all right at figuring out if there's something on her mind.
NATURAL LEADER ☙ There's a reason that she was named the COO of Lucent Electronics once she turned thirty. She is good with people, a fair leader, and someone that people turn to for answers. Her aunt and uncle believed in her then, and the board has always supported her decisions as well. "See the board likes some of us, Fionn..."
THE BEST DEVIL’S ADVOCATE ☙ She wholeheartedly believes that sometimes people just need to really argue their point by being presented with the other side of things. She is the best devil's advocate around. She considers it to be a great way of helping people validate their points or come to the conclusion that they just might be wrong.
EXPERT RESEARCHER ☙ Very useful skill to have in her line of work, and is one of the reasons why she could almost always be found in the lab or doing research somewhere in Lucent Electronics.
SURVIVAL INSTINCT ☙ Being a Muggleborn and not having a survival instinct is a good way of getting yourself killed and she had no plans of that happening. Most of the time, she knows how to keep her mouth shut these days to stay out of trouble. Most of the time.
PRO AT COMPARTMENTALIZING ☙ Put the memories in a mental box, lock box, throw away key. "There, problem solved."
weaknesses
AMBITION ☙ Look, she's a Ravenclaw, but don't think she wouldn't have made a good Slytherin if she wasn't a Muggleborn, because she could have been. She's ambitious and there's a lot she's willing to do to reach her goals. And if that means some day replacing her cousin as CEO of Lucent Electronics, she would do it. "I feel like you're going to keep bringing this up, and I'm just going to say: if it's for the good of the company, then it is the right thing to do. Fionn knows that. Deep down. Somewhere."
HER CURRENT PREDICAMENT ☙ She has a brilliant mind and endless potential, and she spends her days cleaning the Parkinson household or being sent off to clean Lady Parkinson's separate residence. All day cleaning. Seriously. She used to be a COO, could you see how that would be a weakness?
HATER OF SURPRISES ☙ She likes knowing things, okay? "There's nothing wrong with that."
A CERTAIN MALFOY ☙ "Ancient history. So far in the past, I couldn't see it if I looked back with a telescope. I'm over it." And that is why you are not an actress, Nora, because no one's buying it.
HER PHILANDERING COUSIN ☙ She loves Fionn. He's family and she has always been close to them, since her own parents are Muggles. But the amount of times he has ended up in the tabloids is laughable. And now he's the CEO and she's not sure he can take the job seriously enough. "He's too busy shagging entire European Quidditch teams when they come into the city for matches. Likely at the same time, no matter what he says."
and when it comes down to it FAMILY, FAMILY, FAMILY ☙ She loves her parents, but she hasn't been able to see them. They're also Muggles, which means they can't entirely be apart of her world. She was incredibly close to her aunt and uncle and them dying was devastating. There's just a fair share of reasons why family can be a tough subject.

And she hates white chocolate, red roses, romantic clichés, and when fiancés cheat with their exes.
positive traits
BRILLIANT DEDICATED ELOQUENT EMPATHETIC FOCUSED FORCEFUL HARDWORKING INNOVATIVE ORGANIZED PASSIONATE
negative traits
AMBITIOUS (You have to be to be willing to take over as CEO when your own cousin gets ousted. “Hey, that hasn’t happened yet and if it did, it wouldn’t be my fault that the board thought I was the right person for the job.”) INTENSE (Don’t interrupt her when she’s working. Seriously, don’t) SARCASTIC SENTIMENTAL (“What is that supposed to mean?”)
hobbies/interests
READING  RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH  ENGINEERING ON THE BRAIN 24/7  DRINKING BEER AND WATCHING FOOTBALL WITH HER DAD  PLAYING FOOTBALL WITH HER NEPHEWS  COOKING WITH HER MUM  yes, she really likes spending time with her family, but obviously she has not seen them in a while 
accomplishments
Optimized the circuit boards for cell phones, so that they could be used in the magical world without interference

character history
“Let’s get this started then, shall we?

I was born at the end of March in 1983, while my parents were engaged but not yet married. Scandalous, right? No, not really. People can have opinions about that all they like, but they’ve been married thirty-four years now, so clearly their negative opinions would be wrong.

Suppose that’s not really the point, so we’ll keep going. My father is a bit of a workaholic. Not in a bad way but if I remember anything from when I was little, it was him with his reading glasses on while pouring over data and research late into the night. There was a time when I was maybe six or seven where I was so rebellious and only pretended to go to sleep, and then snuck out of my bed to watch him work from the top of the stairs.

That sounds a little creepy, doesn’t it? I guess I was just curious how long he really stayed up working after I went to bed. The answer to that question? Well, six year old me doesn’t know, because I fell asleep at the top of the stairs probably around midnight.

But Engineer Honora? She thinks he probably could stay up until the sun rose, because Merlin knows I’ve done that on more than a few occasions in my life.

That’s skipping ahead though, isn’t it?

It was around that time that strange things started happening around me, and that was when I started spending a lot more time with my aunt and uncle. They told me that my Aunt Isibéal was a witch to which my response was “Like I Dream of Jeannie?”

Merlin, no, Honora. That was a show about a genie and misogyny. My parents love that story—my aunt and uncle did too actually, but I think it probably goes down in history as one of the most embarrassing things that I’ve ever said.

I started spending more time with my aunt and uncle as they tried to teach me about the wizarding world. I think that was probably one of the most selfless things my parents ever did, because they didn’t get to see nearly as much of me. It wasn’t like I spent every waking hour over there, but still.

My cousin was born when I was eight so I grew up with him too. We have a… complicated relationship but again, I’m trying not to skip ahead here.

I went to Hogwarts and it was so much more than I could have ever imagined. The Sorting Hat needed to deliberate a bit before it put me into Ravenclaw.

My years at Hogwarts were not what anyone would call uneventful. After all, the Tri-Wizard Tournament was being hosted my first year. Then there was Umbridge, and well, everyone knows that it all went downhill after that.

I didn’t go to school my fourth year. The registration started and my aunt and uncle had decided that they were going into hiding. Registering wasn’t an option for them and my parents were unsure of the severity of the situation. So when my aunt and uncle told them that I needed to come with them to stay safe, they believed them.

We’re not going to go into how difficult that year was. I was only fourteen years old at the time, and was left wondering what was going to happen to me if Death Eaters or Snatchers found me.

The rest of Hogwarts after the war was, comparatively, uneventful. They were focused on rebuilding and I was focused on my education, more than ever. I was made prefect, I joined dueling club (after that year, I wanted to be able to defend myself more than ever) and I graduated with enough O’s to have my pick of universities.

I went to Gráinneog after graduation, for engineering much to my father’s pleasure. I was happy to be able to focus on my work again, without worrying about impending danger. It was good. Being able to just focus on what I wanted to do for a living — being able to talk to my dad and my aunt and uncle about engineering (which bored my mother and brother to tears but so be it).

When I finally left university, starting to work at Lucent Electronics was really a no-brainer. It was my aunt and uncle’s company and their work had always fascinated me. I became an electrical engineer there and let’s be honest, I became a bit of a workaholic like my father.

It was there that I meant him. Oh, don’t look at me like that. Can’t I go this entire history without saying his name?”

No, actually. Well, you could. But I’m not going to let you, so you might as well rip off the bandage and get over it.

“I met Draco at Lucent Electronics. There, happy? We dated for quite some time, and I can honestly say that I didn’t know that I could feel love like that. I had been so focused on my work for so long that every other fleeting relationship I’d been in paled by comparison. We talked about everything under the sun, traveled wherever we wanted — no, don’t ask about Rio, went to Muggle movies, he met my parents. My dad showed him several episodes of I Dream of Jeannie after that favorite anecdote came out.

I was… enamored. To say the least. I don’t think there’s a word that probably explained how absolutely in love with that man I was. I could ignore the fact that we were destined to fail — with who his family was, with what they believed, how could I ever think that it was going to turn out well?

Somehow I did believe, though. He proposed, and I said yes, and I thought that it was going to work out. I was pretty convinced that we could have faced anything together.

And then I walked in on him in bed with the ex. The first love. It was like… Merlin, how does a person even being to explain that feeling? It was like the earth came crashing to a halt. It was like I had been living in some naive fog where I believed that happily ever afters existed, and in moments, everything came into heartbreaking clarity.

I didn’t yell. The crying didn’t come until later — but there was a lot of drinking.

I ended up giving the engagement ring to Fionn. He was working at Lucent Electronics too, by that point, and I didn’t want to return it myself. I could have just mailed it back I suppose, but Fionn offered and to be honest, I don’t really know how that went. If there was a conversation or if Fionn punched him (with my cousin, I would never be surprised).

After that, I threw myself even more into work. I tried not to care when Draco had to leave Lucent Electronics to go to the work camp. I was named COO of Lucent Electronics. I was moving up in my family’s company and focusing on that helped.

But politics has its way of being fickle, doesn’t it? The Ministry changed hands again and this time around, it was not in our favor. The work camp went down and after a while, a new registration came in its place.

This time, I was an adult. I wasn’t a fourteen year old kid that had to run because it was what her family was doing. And that’s nothing against my aunt and uncle, at all. I just mean that this time around, I needed to make my own decision.

In the end, I couldn’t imagine staying. I couldn’t imagine leaving my job, turning in my wand, and doing whatever I was told to do. So I went with my aunt and uncle on the run.

And when the Death Eaters came, they took us by surprise. My uncle fended them off the best that he could — I think that took them by surprise, the longer the duel went on. But eventually, he fell, and a flash of green light moments later and they had disposed of my aunt too. Their words, not mine. By that point, I was pinned to the ground by one, his foot stepping down on my back so hard I had a bruise for month, and I thought for sure I was next.

I don’t know why they took me to the Ministry instead. By that point, my aunt and uncle were dead, I’m pretty sure I was sobbing, and so in shock that I know they were having a conversation about what to do with me and I couldn’t hear a word of it.

Regardless of the reasoning, they took me to the Ministry. My wand was broken, I was sent to work for the Parkinsons. All things considered, I know that it could be worse. There are worse families — I’ve heard stories. But I’m not about to be grateful that my captors are nice. Nice captors are still captors.

The epidemic hit and more than half of the country was sick, but for some reason, I didn’t get sick. I don’t know if I’m going to or if I’m somehow safe from it —if so, that’ll be the first good luck I’ve had in a while…”

parents
Aidan Carmody - father, Muggle, 61, Mechanical Engineer
Melissa Carmody (née Nathans) - mother, Muggle, 56, Primary School teacher
siblings
Nolan Carmody - brother, Muggle, 31, Neurologist
children
-
partner
“Absolutely nobody worth noting, past or present.”

Liar.

"Fine. Yes, I'm that Muggleborn that dated for three years. No, I'm not signing autographs."

Okay, sarcasm.  You're done.
other family
Fionn Delaney - cousin, halfblood, 27, CEO of Lucent Electronics

And the late and great Gallagher and Maeve Delaney, her aunt and uncle. Since her parents were both Muggles, both Gallagher and Maeve were absolute lifesavers to her. They helped her with anything she needed in the magical world and made her feel included when she was wide-eyed and unsure if she belonged.

Her brother is also married to Glenda Carmody, and they have two sons: Hugo (10) and Jace (8)
family history
Aidan Carmody and Melissa Westborough could have gone their entire lives without meeting. They weren’t each other’s first loves, they hadn’t known each other since they were in diapers. In fact, they didn’t even meet until their mid-twenties.

There was a pretty simple reason for that. Aidan was born and raised in Dublin, and Melissa spent her entire life in Hampstead. Different schools, different countries, different friends, different circles of life — simple as that.

When they finally met, it was a complete fluke (“Hence the ‘they could have gone their whole life without meeting’ comment.”). Melissa had been visiting a friend of hers in Dublin, and her car broke down on the side of the road. Lo and behold, Aidan came along and the rest was history.

They were engaged after a year of dating, and found out that Melissa was expecting while they were planning their wedding. Because of that, they had a slightly long engagement by most people’s standards. They ended up getting married shortly after Honora’s first birthday.

Only a few years after that, they had their second child, Nolan, and settled into a perfectly normal and happy life. Aidan was a mechanical engineer and as such his work kept him very busy, but he began teaching Honora about his job from the moment he could tell that she had an interest.

When they started noticing strange things happening around Honora though, they knew what to expect. Aidan’s sister had been accepted to a school of witchcraft, as strange as that had been to get used to growing up, immediately that was where his mind had gone.

After talking to his sister, it had been decided. Honora started spending more time with her aunt and uncle to get accustomed to the wizarding world, and learn more about it before her eleventh birthday came along.

There are certainly times when Aidan and Melissa feel a little unattached from what is going on in their daughter’s life, since there are some things that they just can’t know. She, along with her aunt and uncle, tried to explain the best that she could about Voldemort and why she couldn’t go back to school that year.

It was a tiring time for them, but they all made it through it and life got better. They got to be apart of their daughter’s life more after graduation, even learning more about her engineering work which was incredibly interesting for Aidan (she still went to him with problems even if he might not fully understand some of the magical components).

Life has gotten worse again recently. They lost both Gallagher and Maevel in June of 2017 and have only heard from Honora from letters delivered by Fionn.

other
-
face claim
Poppy Corby-Tuech
status of application
Complete
have you read the rules?
No
how did you hear about us?
I got electrocuted by a circuit board and as my life flashed before my eyes, the URL appeared in my head. Not funny?
roleplay sample

Admin Morgan
Admin Morgan Avatar
staff
8,041 posts
26 years old
Administrator
played by Morgan
"Life ain't all blueberries and paper airplanes, you know what I mean."
options

Post by Admin Morgan on Nov 29, 2018 1:54:41 GMT -5

Accepted