Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jan 25, 2019 19:35:08 GMT -5

Show me you love me
by the look in your eyes
These are the little things, I need the most in my life

Olivia was glad to be back at work, but that didn’t mean that she wasn’t as anxious as ever for eleven o’clock to roll around, and she apparated straight out of her office to her mother’s living room. It wasn’t that she hadn’t left her. She had left her with Beckett, and she had left her with Lyla. But leaving her and going to work was completely different. In a way that she couldn’t even explain. She didn’t know what it was that was so different about it, but it was like some part of her brain thought that she was being a bad mother because she had gone back to work so soon.

It wasn’t even that soon. It had been nine weeks. She was not going to sit around longer than that, that was silly. Not when there was so much to do. Perhaps if the world had been calmer, she would have taken more time. But Olivia didn’t think that there had ever really been a time when she had had a baby and the world was calm. Cal had been born right after the war, and Lyla had followed. Things were nowhere close to settled when they had arrived, and Anderson had been right after Durant’s questioning had started.

All in all, she had rather poor timing. Of course, with Cordelia no one had expected the epidemic. That was something that they hadn’t seen coming. Or if they had, the public hadn’t been told. She was smart enough to know that there was always someone that knew what was going on. There was always someone that had more information than someone else. And she thought that that applied to all aspects of their lives. Still, she had fed the baby, and then with a kiss to her mother’s cheek, and a reminder that Anderson was getting out early for something or another, she headed back to the Ministry.

Instead of going directly to her office she headed for Level Seven, and her husband. There had been a time when finding her in Beckett’s office had had to look like something else, but that had been decades ago. They had been together, publicly, since ’98. He had already been the Head of Games and Sports, and she had been a hot shot lawyer. Now he was still the Head of this Department. Having ridden the waves of every Minister that had come their way since Fudge. But so, had she. They had always been able to make it through all of this. They were the most qualified. They were the smartest. They deserved to be where they were, not because of who they knew, but by work ethic. Because they had earned it.

That was why she knew that she could get the predictions for Sunday by coming down here. No one stopped her as she made her way towards Beckett’s office, and she knocked on the frame with a smirk before she let herself the rest of the way in. “I have a question for the Head of the Department… Have you seen him around? Tall, dark hair. Smile that makes all of his female staff members annoyed he’s married… I’ve heard his wife is kind of a bitch though, so we better not go there…”

She knew that she had a lot to make up for, and she knew that she should probably have been serious in the office, but she just wanted to see him smile. And she really did have a question about the projections when it came to the European Cup. Without UK participation they had had to forfeit the rights to use their stadiums, and it had lost them revenue. They had had to break contracts that had been written years previous, and she had the formal statements about the breach of contract, and what the IQA wanted to do about the renegotiations. Without any word on when the borders were going to open again though, they were going to have to get creative with the wording.

MADE BY VEL OF GS + ADOX 2.0
Beckett Archibald Graves
Beckett Archibald Graves Avatar
Slytherin
141 posts
55 years old
Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports
Owner of the Tutshill Tornados
Death Eater
played by Morgan
"'Cause there's nothing like your love to get me high."
options

Post by Beckett Archibald Graves on Feb 8, 2019 16:48:45 GMT -5

[nospaces]

[attr="class","cbg"]
[attr="class","cbgtop"]
[attr="class","cimg"]
[attr="class","clbox"]
[attr="class","ctopline"]Buy me a rose,
[attr="class","cscriptde"]call me from work
[attr="class","cline"]
[attr="class","clyrics"]Open a door for me,[break]
what would it hurt

[break][break]
[attr="class","cbody"]For weeks, he had been trying to figure this out.
[break][break]
He had been trying to figure out what the hell they were going to do about Quidditch. In some ways, he knew that it wasn’t exactly a top priority to a lot of people. The Ministry’s focus was obviously on keeping the essentials running, but his entire department lived and breathed Quidditch. Sure, there were technically other sports that they regulated but there was nothing as big as Quidditch in the United Kingdom.
[break][break]
If they didn’t get it up and running again, then he didn’t know what they were going to do. He didn’t know what the future of this department was going to look like. And it was about more than just that—though obviously, it was a top concern. There was a distinct possibility that the Minister might decide to allocate funds toward their department elsewhere and fire or reassign staff to where they were needed. If they weren’t doing anything, if there was no sign of Quidditch starting back up again, then that was certainly a possibility. They had to focus on what was necessary during this admittedly difficult time. Because, even if most people were free of their symptoms, this was far from over. Without a cure, they were going to struggle.
[break][break]
And he thought that Quidditch would help with that. It was something that would bring about a sense of normalcy. Something that would give the public some good morale, something else to focus on. Of course, he also just knew how Quidditch players were. They wanted to play. That was who they were. They were going to continue to go stir-crazy without matches, and teams also couldn’t continue to pay salary to players that couldn’t actually play.
[break][break]
Something had to be done about all of this, and they could only wait so long to figure that out. There were ideas swirling around in his mind, he just had to get the right ones on paper and figure out what they were going to do. What he was going to do—because in the end, he was the one that made that decision. Well, and he’d have to talk to the Minister too, but he thought that she had more on her mind than Quidditch. If he believed the season could resume, she’d likely just take his word for it and put her attention elsewhere immediately afterwards.
[break][break]
He knew that if he had a whole Ministry to run, he would probably let them do their own thing too. There was just so much to focus on. It had been easy to just cancel Quidditch for them, and not even think about it. For him, it had been harder, and it had been harder still not to come up with a further solution. But they were weeks away now, from when the pre-season would normally begin. A decision needed to be made, and it needed to be made soon.
[break][break]
After all, teams needed to have time to take stock of what players needed replaced and with whom. With so many people sick, that was not going to be easy at all. They were likely looking at players that never would have gotten signed to a team in a normal season getting a chance to play with the professionals, but it was better than nothing. He just had to get his thoughts down and figure out where to go from here.
[break][break]
He glanced up when he heard a knock at the door, and an amused grin formed on his lips at her words. All of his female staff members think that, do they?” He asked, raising his eyebrows.
[break][break]
[attr="class","cnotes"]611 ● @ liv ● outfit
[attr="class","cred"]MADE BY VEL OF WW + ADOX 2.0

[googlefont=Dancing Script]
[newclass=.cbg]width:400px;background:#262626;padding:30px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cbgtop]width:400px;height:120px;text-align:left;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cimg]float:left;width:100px;height:100px;padding:10px;border:1px #aaa solid;[/newclass]
[newclass=.clbox]float:right;height:100px;margin:15px 5px auto auto;text-align:justify;width:257px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.ctopline]font-size:9px;letter-spacing:2px;text-transform:uppercase;font-family:verdana;color:#aaa;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cscriptde]font-size:23px;margin-top:-3px;font-family:Dancing Script;color:#125235;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cscriptde span]color:#ccc;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cline]height:1px;background-color:#888;margin:3px auto;[/newclass]
[newclass=.clyrics]font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;text-transform:uppercase;text-align:justify;font-family:verdana;color:#999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cbody]font-family:verdana;color:#999;font-size:10px;text-align:justify;line-height:14px;letter-spacing:0.5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cnotes]font-size:9px;letter-spacing:1px;text-align:center;opacity:0.8;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:6pt;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:6pt;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Feb 10, 2019 23:08:46 GMT -5

SHOW ME YOU LOVE ME
BY THE LOOK IN YOUR EYES
THESE ARE THE LITTLE THINGS, I NEED THE MOST IN MY LIFE

She hadn’t realized just how much she had missed the Ministry until she had gotten here this morning. And she hadn’t realized how much she was going to miss Cordelia until she hadn’t seen her in several hours. But that was just part of being a working mother. And right now, worrying about Cordelia was the least of her problems. Her mother was more than capable of watching the baby while they were at work. And if she had a conflict Olivia knew that they had other options. She knew that Penelope would be willing to help too. And Olivia thought that if they got desperate, she could pull out all of the stops, and her godson could baby sit.

Without magic LJ wasn’t working, and Olivia knew that Beckett was driving himself mad over what to do about the league. What to do about all of it, and she wanted to help. She didn’t really know how, ultimately it was his decision, and she would support him, no matter what it was that he picked, but she knew what they needed to do. And she knew that he knew, what they needed to do. They couldn’t go on with no quidditch. Somehow, some way, they had to get the league back up and running. And soon enough they were going to have to start pushing for the borders to reopen.

Not just for quidditch, but for the economy of the countries as a whole. They needed to do something, and it seemed that every report on Olivia’s desk was saying that in some way. Everything that she had come back to seemed to revolve around this Epidemic, and she wasn’t surprised. That had been what they were talking about before she had had Cordelia, and it was what they were talking about now. It was the only thing that they couldn’t control, and it was controlling everything. At this point she really didn’t know how they were still keeping their heads above water. It was almost miraculous, really, that they weren’t buried so far under that Lucius Malfoy wasn’t having a conniption fit.

That had been what Olivia was prepared for. She had been prepared to come back this morning and be summoned to the Head of the Treasury Department’s office, like some petulant child that had misbehaved, for having a child of her own. But so far, she hadn’t seen Malfoy, and she knew that she was going to have to. Over all, Olivia’s department dabbled in everyone else’s far more than any other crossover in the building. They all had to get along with her, they all had to deal with her, and she knew that she had kept her position over the years by being exceptionally good at getting along with everyone. She could go from Malfoy to Shacklebolt with the same smile, and she could get her way.

Making sure that the country was running, was her job. She was not the Minister, and she didn’t want to be, but government did not run without the law. And in the United Kingdom, Olivia Graves was the law. She was the one that had to okay everything. She was the one that found the edges of the line and butted Minister’s toes right up to them, but never let them cross. She was the one that made sure that all of the funding that they were deterring to other areas of the government was sanctioned and accounted for legally. She was the one that made sure that breach of contracts with the International Quidditch Association were going to be taken care of in ways that meant the least amount of legal trouble for all of them now.

Everything fell onto Olivia’s desk. And she wouldn’t have changed that for anything. This was her world. She was Olivia Graves. And she handled things.

Still, seeing the grin on her husband’s face was enough to lift her mood, and she closed the door behind her as she came the rest of the way into the room. “Maybe not all of them. I think Ireland’s pretty immune at this point. But the rest of them…”

@ handsome • 696 • olivia's outfit

Beckett Archibald Graves
Slytherin
141 posts
55 years old
Death Eater
played by Morgan
options

Post by Beckett Archibald Graves on Feb 25, 2019 21:18:24 GMT -5

[nospaces]

[attr="class","cbg"]
[attr="class","cbgtop"]
[attr="class","cimg"]
[attr="class","clbox"]
[attr="class","ctopline"]BUY ME A ROSE,
[attr="class","cline"]
[attr="class","clyrics"]OPEN A DOOR FOR ME,[break]
WHAT WOULD IT HURT

[break][break]
[attr="class","cbody"]Beckett had known that the decision to cancel the remainder of the league season had not been taken while by Quidditch players, but it had been necessary. And he also just knew how Quidditch players were—he’d worked with them in this position, and as the owner of the Tornados, enough to know how they were. They could be fanatical about times… both able to be upset that the season was cancelled while also physically not being able to fly. They knew that they couldn’t play, but it hadn’t stopped them from being upset that the season had been cancelled.
[break][break]
He didn’t regret that, because it truly hadn’t been feasible. There was just no way they could have finished the season. And there was no way that attempted to would have been the right thing to do. First and foremost, he thought it would shine a light on the Ministry’s priorities—everyone sick around them, but them still keeping an entertainment like a Quidditch match going. It was just tactless, in his opinion.
[break][break]
But it was also just impossible. With so many people sick, there weren’t teams to play. There hadn’t been a single team in the league that had enough players to get through a match, even with reserve players. Cancelling had been the only move to make, and since then, he had been trying to figure out what to do next.
[break][break]
Keeping the league season cancelled was not something that he could do indefinitely. They would have to figure something out eventually and he also knew that the players who had gotten sick had to be taken into consideration as well. He didn’t want any teams just sacking anybody right off of the bat. It wasn’t their fault that they had gotten sick, and he didn’t think that it sent the right message to just to unceremoniously boot them all out of the chosen professions. But he also knew that teams couldn’t continue to pay people that couldn’t do the job they were being paid for. That didn’t make any sense at all. Of course, most teams were well enough to get by--to more than get by, actually. Even the lower division teams had steady fan followings that had kept their stadiums full throughout matches. But they still couldn’t pay people that couldn’t do the job. Not forever.
[break][break]
It was something that he would need to figure out soon, and he would. Getting that figured out and getting Quidditch started again would boost morale and, after months with no cure, that was something that they could all use. He didn’t have that much time to put such a plan into action. The pre-season would be on them before they knew it, and teams would expect an answer by then. It couldn’t be put off, and teams also needed time to get everything in order.
[break][break]
“Don’t let him hear you saying that,” he answered, with a laugh. “From what I hear of this Department Head, he’s got quite the ego.”
[break][break]
[attr="class","cnotes"]502 ● @ liv ● outfit

[newclass=.cimg]float:left;width:100px;height:100px;padding:10px;border:1px #aaa solid;[/newclass]
[newclass=.clbox]float:right;height:100px;margin:15px 5px auto auto;text-align:justify;width:257px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.ctopline]font-size:9px;letter-spacing:2px;text-transform:uppercase;font-family:verdana;color:#aaa;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cscriptde]font-size:23px;margin-top:-3px;font-family:Dancing Script;color:#125235;[/newclass]
[newclass=.clyrics]font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;text-transform:uppercase;text-align:justify;font-family:verdana;color:#999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cbody]font-family:verdana;color:#999;font-size:10px;text-align:justify;line-height:14px;letter-spacing:0.5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cnotes]font-size:9px;letter-spacing:1px;text-align:center;opacity:0.8;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:6pt;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:6pt;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Mar 26, 2019 18:44:26 GMT -5

SHOW ME YOU LOVE ME
BY THE LOOK IN YOUR EYES

Olivia knew that Beckett had to try and muddle through much of this quidditch thing on his own. She could help a little bit. She could give him the legal perspective on what it could mean for the country, the league, and the owners and players themselves, if he sanctioned the restart of the season, and they weren’t ready. She could tell him why it was a good idea – personally she thought that it was – and she could tell him why it could have been a bad idea. But ultimately the decision was his. He was the one that made that call. He had made the call to cancel. He was the one that made the call to start again.

And she knew that that was a lot. She knew that there was more pressure on him now than there was, even when they were hosting a World Cup. And that meant a tremendous amount of pressure. But she knew him. She knew who he was, and she knew what it was that he needed, and how he operated. If she could make him smile, laugh, just for a minute, it would help clear his head. It would help him think about something else, and when he went back to the problem at hand, he might find a different perspective than he had had before.

Of course, Olivia knew that she had to do so with care. She could come down here in more than one capacity, and today she had come as not only his wife, but an avid quidditch fan. She wanted to try and bribe the predictions for Sunday’s matches out of him. But she knew that she had more serious questions too. The kind that could come after she had talked to him about the fun things. The things that they could take lightly, and joke about. When it came to the IQA and everything that they were going to have to deal with pulling out of the deals that they had made for stadium usage. They always had at least one, and more often than not two, teams qualify for the European Cup.

Even if they hadn’t, the usage of stadiums for the playoff portions were delegated years in advance. That was just how it worked, and they had had to pull out of a couple of long-term contracts, with the borders being shut down. There was no way to get those players, and fans, back out of the country once they had come in. And they were risking exposure to something that could have potentially taken away their magic. The rate of infection seemed to have slowed.

Olivia was sure that she had read a report to that effect somewhere, but she didn’t know what that meant exactly. Slowed was not stopped, and there were some people that were continuing to come into the country regardless. They could import, but they couldn’t export, and that was going to get to them faster than anything. Treasury and Commerce were going to be at each other’s throats trying to save the economy, and Olivia thought that they were just trying to all keep the government’s head above water right now.

There were too many problems. They had to tackle them one at a time, while somehow tackling as many as they could at once. It was a complicated solution. But it was working about as well as shoveling water out of a boat peppered with bullet holes. Still. They hadn’t sunk yet. They were just going to have to figure it out. Today, right now, in this moment, she was going to nip a problem in the bud before it started. She wanted to get ahead of the IQA when they started coming after them, and she knew that that meant keeping Beckett informed, and telling him what was going on. What exactly had happened.

“I heard he wears it quite well. And it can be quite attractive if a man knows what he’s doing with it, you know?” There was a soft undertone to her voice, and no doubt that she was flirting with him. She had closed the door, and so instead of moving to sit across from him, she moved to sit on the edge of his desk next to his chair. The same spot she would have put herself if they were at home.

@ how big's that ego? • 732 • olivia's outfit

Beckett Archibald Graves
Slytherin
141 posts
55 years old
Death Eater
played by Morgan
options

Post by Beckett Archibald Graves on Apr 24, 2019 16:15:46 GMT -5

[nospaces]

[attr="class","cbg"]
[attr="class","cbgtop"]
[attr="class","cimg"]
[attr="class","clbox"]
[attr="class","ctopline"]BUY ME A ROSE,
[attr="class","cline"]
[attr="class","clyrics"]OPEN A DOOR FOR ME,[break]
WHAT WOULD IT HURT

[break][break]
[attr="class","cbody"]This was a situation that no one really knew how to deal with. It was something that he had never expected. For as long as he had been involved in the Ministry, he’d had ambitions to end up as the head of the department. Every action that he’d taken over the years had been with that goal in mind. And it had happened. He knew that he owed a great deal of that to Olivia—if she hadn’t been able to cover his tracks and he had been outted as a Death Eater after the last war, he would not have managed to keep his position as long as he had. He wouldn’t have been able to keep it through Durant’s rule, and he would have been in the work camp like so many other Death Eaters had.
[break][break]
But that hadn’t happened. Their lives had not been uprooted by Durant, and he had been successfully running this department for quite some time. He could just honestly say that he had never expected something like this to happen. Not in the slightest. He had never thought an epidemic would come around and nearly make Quidditch an impossibility. He hadn’t thought that he would have to figure out how to even start the league season up again. It was just nothing that he could have expected.
[break][break]
Yes, there had been times that the league season hadn’t happened throughout history. It wasn’t the first time that it had ever happened. But it was certainly not something that had happened all that often and it was not a decision that he had ever thought he would be making. But it had been a necessary one. There was really no choice there. Most teams didn’t have enough players that still had their magic to finish the season—even including their reserves. With so many people sick, stadiums would have likely been empty even if they had the post-season matches. Even if they somehow figured out how to play the matches. It was just not something that had made any sense.
[break][break]
Now that the initial outbreak was over though, now that people were at least back to good health, albeit without magic, it was something they could start to consider again. Beckett knew that it was going to be a challenge. He knew that there were going to be players finding their way onto league teams that never would have been considered good enough before—it was harsh, but it was true. There were plenty of hopefuls that tried out every year that were just not skilled enough to play on a professional level. He was sure that plenty of those players would find themselves on lower division teams if the league started up again. Beckett was just as certain that higher division teams would be trying to scout players from any team that they could. It would definitely be an interesting season, if they managed to figure this out.
[break][break]
It would take some work, but he thought it was possible. And he thought that Quidditch was something that they needed. It was a distraction. Something that was good for morale, good for the public to see that things were going back to normal. In his mind, it was a good next step.
[break][break]
His wife’s appearance in his office was a surprise, but not a bad one. It wasn’t all that uncommon for them to visit each other when they had a spare few minutes. It was the benefit of only working a few floors away from each other. “I’ll have to take your word for it,” he said, with an amused smile. “I don’t normally find men attractive.” Beckett added, his tone joking, but really, her wording had completely opened her up for him making that joke.
[break][break]
[attr="class","cnotes"]632 ● @ liv ● outfit

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jun 23, 2019 12:58:30 GMT -5

SHOW ME YOU LOVE ME
BY THE LOOK IN YOUR EYES

Everything had changed since people started getting sick. Their niece had been first, and then Beckett and Callahan had fallen sick as well. Olivia hadn’t known what to expect. She didn’t know anything about medicine, she had never thought to learn. Never thought that it was going to be relevant. And yet, there was a part of her that saw the irony of having a disease sweep the nation, the year that a world-renowned healer became the Minister. England had been at the forefront of the magical community for years. And now they were cut off. They were practically shut down. And that wasn’t doing anyone any good.

Every department was having their own issues, and yet, each of their issues became Olivia’s problem. There was no department in the building that she didn’t have her fingers in. She was Head of the Justice Department, and that meant that everything that happened in the entire country, was her problem. It had been for years, but dealing with the Death Eaters, and dealing with Durant, and dealing with Fudge, and Shacklebolt, and even Lestrange, it was nothing compared to dealing with all of this now. Olivia didn’t have answers; she didn’t know how to keep things running. But they had to figure something out.

It was her job to figure something out. And it was Beckett’s job to figure out how to get the Quidditch world back up and running. Quidditch had been developed in England. Puddlemere United was the oldest Quidditch team in history. They couldn’t just not have quidditch. But after what had happened last fall… She didn’t know how he was going to manage that. They had enough issues on her end of the Quidditch world. The legal end. The end that was dealing with them breaching contracts and cancelling long term deals. They were in violation of several policies that they had signed years previously, and there was really nothing that they could do about it.

Getting the IQA to some leniency was the only thing that they were going to be able to hope for. And she was going to have to try and get them to talk to her via some muggle means so that she could actually make their case. She was Olivia Graves. She could Handle It. But she couldn’t handle it if she couldn’t talk to them. And she wasn’t going to go around making large scale quidditch decisions without consulting the Head of Magical Games and Sports. And it just so happened that getting to come down here and talk to her husband in the middle of the work day was an added advantage to that.

She knew that he was anxious to get the league back up and running in England, but she also thought that there was more to it than that. He had been the one that had cancelled it, and giving it back was an economic booster. It was something that people were going to be willing to go out and spend money on. Because they needed money moving in the country. People were starting to pull in a little bit, and they weren’t going to survive if they didn’t find ways to stimulate the economic crisis. The fact that Olivia had actually read the entirety of Malfoy’s report on the subject, showed just how worried that she was about the whole thing.

“I’m honestly kind of relieved to hear it.” Her smiled widened for just a second before she nodded to the chairs in front of his desk, “May I? Unfortunately, I didn’t just come down here to flirt with you…” She knew that while it was fun to banter in the middle of the day, they were actually both very busy people, and she had come down here to talk about something that really mattered. Aside from his preseason predictions, which she would have to work on getting out of him.

@ back to business, sadly • 656 • olivia's outfit