Samira Avani Chaudhari
Samira Avani Chaudhari Avatar
Kurma
23 posts
36 years old
Medical Researcher
Immunologist
Magical Bugs and Diseases Healer

Indian Institute of Science Bangalore and The John Hopkins University School of Medicine Alum
ICW
played by Morgan
""
options

Post by Samira Avani Chaudhari on Mar 26, 2019 22:54:28 GMT -5

Samira Avani Chaudhari, M.D., Ph.D.
by Morgan
birthday
blood status
Halfblood
sexual orientation
Bisexual
epidemic x status
Not Immune, Not Infected
occupation
International Confederation of Wizards, Medical Researcher
Immunologist
Magical Bugs and Diseases Healer

“I’m in talks to guest lecture while I’m in the United Kingdom, but we’re not going to count my chickens before they hatch. And I don’t want to fully commit until I’m able to get the full scope of the work that needs to be done.”

Former Guest Lecturer at the University of Sydney, School of Medicine
Former Medical Researcher at the Altmann Institute in Sydney, Australia
Former Immunologist at the Altmann Institute in Sydney, Australia
general appearance
“I suppose I can just put it this way—after my awkward stage ended at around age sixteen, I did all right for myself. I’m not the kind of person that is lacking in confidence in any way. I take care to look good, but it’s also far from the most important thing to me.

If there was one thing that I was always self-conscious about back then, it was my height. While I’m average by the world’s standards, maybe even bordering on short, being five feet, five inches tall in Jaipur was tall. You would not see me in heels back then, even if my ma would have allowed me to wear them. However, my self-consciousness about my height went away eventually and now that my work has me traveling, I’ve gotten used to the idea that most cultures would see me as average height.

I’ve got dark hair and dark eyes, an olive complexion. That’s really all there is to it, honestly. If I bother much with makeup, it’s just for kohl for my eyes and lipstick. When my pappa passed away, I got my first and only tattoo on my wrist.”

former school
agastya school of magic
former house
Kurma
achievements
❧ Received top marks in Herbology, Potions, Transfiguration, Charms, Purficiation Magic, History of Magical India, Astronomy, Meditation, Hinduism, World Religion
❧ Prefect in her 5th, 6th, and 7th years
❧ Member of the Debate Club, Herbology Club, Charms Club, Purification Magic Club, World Religion Club
❧ Leader of the Purification Magic Club and World Religion Club in her fifth, sixth, and seventh years
❧ Forward on Kurma's football team for six years, Captain in her sixth and seventh years
❧ Avid Quidditch watcher

university
Indian Institute of Science Bangalore — 2000-2005
     ❧ Undergraduate Program, four-year Bachelor of Science Program — 2000-2004
     ❧ Master of Science Degree — 2004-2005

The John Hopkins University School of Medicine — 2005-2012
     ❧ Combined Degree Program, M.D/Ph.D
     ❧ Ph.D Specialization in Immunology

McGilliguddy Medical Center — 2009-2012
     ❧ Healer Training Program 

Charité Universitatsmedizin Berlin — 2012-2015
     ❧ Medical Residency
university major(s)
See above
years attended
See above

skills
BRILLIANT MIND ❧ An article written about her may have included the phrase ‘one of the most brilliant minds in the medical field this generation.’ Her ma may or may not have framed the article. She did.
TALKING TO PEOPLE ❧ She is a very easy person to talk to. She can find something to talk about with just about anybody and she’s the type of person who has never met a stranger. She’s grateful for that—she got her job at the University of Sydney just because she’d started up a conversation with someone who had been waiting for a coffee next to her.
BODY POSITIVITY ❧ I’m not sure why this fits on here, but she’s insistent. Being confident in her own skin and with who she is is something that she’s very proud of. She’s also very open about sex and pleasure. There’s a reason why she put sex in her hobbies and interests down there. That doesn’t mean she’s going to start talking about sex to some stranger on the street, there’s a time and place, but body positivity, confidence, and good orgasms — all very important to her. If she wrote an article about this, her ma would not frame it.
PUBLIC SPEAKING ❧ This is not something that she thought she would have been good at back when she was a teenager. In that awkward stage of life, public speaking was terrifying. It was really only when she realized how interested she was in medicine and while she was at university that she got over that fear, since she was able to talk about something she was incredibly passionate about. Now, public speaking comes naturally to her and she can lecture at universities without so much as breaking a sweat.
DOES WELL UNDER PRESSURE ❧ She isn’t sure if this was something that she began to excel at during medical school or afterwards, but she has never been one to crack under pressure. Whether that was while she was balancing John Hopkins with the healer training program at McGilliguddy, moving to yet another foreign country for her residency, or dealing with rare and contagious diseases that require isolation wards and protective-wear, she is always the picture of calm.
weaknesses
RELATIONSHIPS ❧ Is she great at them? Not necessarily, but she does try. When she first started her residency, she would always prioritize work over relationships, which meant that a lot of relationships just fell to the wayside when they got tired of her cancelling dates. By the time she finished her residency, she had gotten a little bit better at that balance. She did have a successful marriage, after all. Well, the beginning of it, anyway. Not so much the end, but we’re going to decidedly blame that on Mason. But with how focused she is on work, relationships can definitely be a challenge sometimes.
HAVING A FAMILY ❧ She and Mason had difficulty conceiving and for a time, she wondered if it was possible for her to get pregnant at all—or if she had prioritized her career for so long that she’d lost her chance. It was in early 2017 that she had an ectopic pregnancy, without her knowledge until her fallopian tube ruptured. She needed emergency surgery and her fallopian tube needed to be removed. Getting pregnant with only one fallopian tube is still possible but having a past ectopic pregnancy also raises her chance of having another one. So, really, her future and having a family is all a big question mark to her right now. “I think you said far more about this than you needed to.”
THE LOSS OF HER PAPPA ❧ Her pappa was a member of the International Wizarding Police, which is obviously a hard job at times. When Samira was growing up, he had to travel a lot, which meant that they moved a lot. That stopped when she was old enough to go to school, and it was at that time that her ma and brothers stayed back in Jaipur. Seeing him could be hard at times just because she was either at school or he was off on assignment. When the news broke that he had been killed on an assignment in Tibet, she had just started medical school at John Hopkins. Though it’s been over a decade since he’s died, he’s still on her mind every day.
EMPATHY ❧ It’s an important trait for a doctor to have, but it can also be her Achilles’ heel at times. She will do anything to help people and if she can’t, it haunts her. She is the type of person who would give a homeless person her last galleon if they needed it.
THE EX-HUSBAND ❧ He cheated on her only a few months after her surgery. He’s now happily married to that very witch and they’re expecting their second child. So, that’s a touchy subject.
positive traits
ADAPTABLE CALM COMPASSIONATE CULTURED INNOVATIVE ELOQUENT PASSIONATE
negative traits
NONCOMMITTAL OUTSPOKEN SECRETIVE SELF-CRITICAL STUBBORN UNPREDICTABLE WAYFARING
hobbies/interests
WORKING TRAVEL LEARNING LANGUAGES FOOTBALL MEDIATION & YOGA  RUNNING & SWIMMING SEX DARK CHOCOLATE GOOD WINE  GARDENING HER MA’S AAM PANNA
accomplishments
Published Articles include:
      Case 29-2013: Twins and the Immune System
      Case 2-2017: Virulent Cerebrumous Spattergroit
      Next Generation in Ecological Immunology        

character history
“We might as well get this started, since there’s a lot to do. The last thing I really want to do is talk about myself when we have far bigger problems to deal with. Everything that needs done in the United Kingdom—well, we’re going to have our work cut out for us, there’s no doubt about that.

But I suppose there will be plenty of time for that. I’ll talk about myself for a bit. You’ll find that I’m pretty much an open book.

I was born to Inayat and Vijaya Chaudhari in Jaipur, where I was born and raised. I don’t remember a time in my life when my brothers weren’t apart of it. Anand is only a year younger than me, and Darshan came along a few years after that. We have always been close. Growing up, we spent most of our time playing football together in our yard and entertaining ourselves by telling wild stories of what our pappa was doing when he was off on his adventures.

As excited as I was to go off to school, I did miss my brothers when I left. I was sorted into Kurma, which didn’t surprise me. It was about what I had expected when I stepped into the shallows with the conch shell in my hands.

My time at school was productive. I’m not going to spend an unnecessary amount of time explaining it. I made friends, I helped my brother to make good choices and threatened more than a few girlfriends in my time — as is my right as an older sister, thank you very much.

I was involved in a lot of clubs while at school. Most notable were definitely World Religion club and Purification Magic club. I was in those clubs my entire time at school and led both of them in my last couple of years at school. It was because of Purification Club and that class that I decided that I wanted to be a healer and a doctor. I should also note that I was a stellar forward on Kurma’s football team. It was a very good way of staying in shape and a healthy way of getting out some competitiveness.

By the time I was in my seventh year, I knew what my next steps were. I knew that I wanted to go to the Indian Institute of Science Bangalore and with some help from the Indian Ministry, I was able to apply with credentials to get accepted — my marks at Agastya were at a good enough level to help me get into such a good school, thankfully.

I spent five years in Bangalore working on that degree, and learned more about science along the way. I knew that I could have just been a healer, and I could have just gone that route, but I wanted to be able to do both. I wanted to be able to treat people by both Muggle and magical means, and to me, the logical start was starting with an undergraduate and masters program.

Med school was next after that, since it made sense for me to continue on the Muggle route until completion. John Hopkins was definitely a change of pace. It was my first time in the United States, and culture shock is definitely a real thing. Soon after I started there, my pappa died on a mission. It was something we always worried about… but he always came back. Until he didn’t.

I tried to push on, and kept going, but it was definitely hard for a while. Probably the only way that I did get through was by having med school to focus on. I was at John Hopkins for seven years, formed good relationships and it was honestly probably one of the best times of my life. While I was there, I did decide to apply to the healer training program at McGilliguddy Medical Center, so that I could work in the magical world as well. I got my phD specialization in Immunology at John Hopkins and the obvious choice after that was Charité Universitatsmedizin Berlin.

I know, I’m talking a lot about my schooling, but it’s an important part of my life. Getting my degrees and achieving those goals were my utmost priority back then. I kept in contact with my family of course. They will always be the most important part of my life. I went home during summers when I could, and my mom visited me a lot in Berlin as well — not just because she met a certain someone there. Or so she says, anyway. I teasingly disagree but that’s just not really the point.

After my residency, I enjoyed traveling but most of the time I was stationed in Sydney, Australia, working at the Altmann Institute. It was there that I met Mason, and we fell in love.

Look, I could go into details about this if you really want me to, but let’s be honest… it did not have a good ending and I’d rather not talk all that much about it. We got married, it was fast. My mom didn’t necessarily agree with that decision, and my brothers never really liked him, but I was head over heels. Working as much as I did and maintaining a relationship was not easy, but we worked together and seeing each other helped them too.

I found out I was pregnant, and I was ecstatic. As much as I love my job, I was always sure that I wanted a family too. I knew that it would be difficult to manage, but I was excited. Mason was too. I still think that he was, despite everything that happened.

Long story short, my fallopian tube ruptured. I’d had an ectopic pregnancy and I should have noticed the symptoms but I hadn’t. I had to get surgery, my fallopian tube had to be removed, and had to take four weeks off of work — doctor’s orders. I don’t know for sure when Mason started sleeping with someone else, but I definitely found out the hard way. We were divorced another month later, and he is still in Sydney with his new wife.

I joined the ICW as a medical researcher, and now I’m on my way to the United Kingdom to hopefully help out with the cure effort. Other people are coming to deal with the political problems, which I will certainly help with if I can, but my main focus is most certainly on this epidemic. With my Immunology specialization, I certainly hope I can do something to help.

parents
Inayat Chaudhari - father; deceased, former International Wizarding Police

Vijaya Siegbert - mother; fifty-eight years old, herbologist
Dietrich Siegbert - stepfather; sixty-six years old, Spell Damage Healer at Berlin Medical Center
siblings
Anand Chaudhari - brother, thirty-five years old, International Wizarding Police
Darshan Chaudhari - brother, thirty-two years old, International Economist
children
-
partner
Mason Krause - ex-husband, forty-two years old, Geneticist for the Altmann Institute in Sydney, Australia
other family
-
family history
Inayat and Vijaya were both born in the same city of Jaipur, though with it being a city of over three million people, it is really much of a surprise that they didn’t meet until they both made it to Agastya School of Magic?

Inayat was a few years older than Vijava, and as such made it to school first. He was sorted into Narasimha, and he had adjusted well to life at Agastya. As you can imagine, it was quite a change from life in Jaipur. With India being such a massive country with different states and cultures, there are plenty of people that choose to homeschool their children as opposed to sending them down to the south India state of Tamil Nadu. There are smaller schools in the different states but it’s Agastya School of Magic that has the best reputation, so it was off he went.

He would credit how well he fit into the school with the numerous different activities that he’d been able to join up with. He was a forward on his house’s football team, as well as being on the Quidditch team. He participated in many clubs, but he met Vijaya in his third year, when she joined Herbology club.

They were inseparable from that moment on, though only as friends until his last year in school, and Vijava was in her fifth. That was when their relationship moved from friendship into more than that, and they dated until she graduated from school as well.

He went on to work in law enforcement in the Indian Ministry, with his goals much higher than that. He wanted to work for the ICW, a goal that his family had mixed opinions on.

Vijava eventually graduated and they took the next step to get married. She went to magical university to get her degree in herbology. She found out she was pregnant in her last year of university, though she did get her degree.

She and Inayat ended up having three children — Samira, Anand, Darshan.

Inayat did reach his goal of working for the ICW, specifically as an International Wizarding police. But he died in 2005, on a mission in Tibet.

Vijaya eventually remarried to Dietrich Siegbert, a healer in Berlin. They met while she was visiting Samira during her residency at Charité Universitatsmedizin Berlin. They have been living in Berlin ever since.

other
-
face claim
Priyanka Chopra
status of application
Complete
have you read the rules?
Yes, of course!
how did you hear about us?
"I assure you, we've all heard."
roleplay sample

Admin Morgan