played by Eve
""
options

Post by Gioconda Corvini on Apr 20, 2017 7:48:26 GMT -5

Gioconda Corvini
28 - Female - Half-blood - 04/08/1989
Unemployed

Appearance and Personality
General Appearance: Gioconda is rather small, she's tanned with dark hair and dark eyes. Formerly, she was athletic but due to illness is now rather emaciated.
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Skills: Quidditch, Tranfiguration
Weaknesses: easily unsettled and all in all very unaware of what's happening in the world
Positive Personality Traits: generally helpful, enthusiastic, open and tolerant
Negative Personality Traits: moody and pessimistic (due to recent events), irrascible, stubborn, naive
Hobbies and Interests: Quidditch, Quidditch, Quidditch
Character History:
Gioconda, daughter of an Italian wizard and an English witch, grew up in a wizarding village in the Apennines, knowing little about foreign countries or prejudices (there were several Muggles living in the village who had moved there for the education of their magical offspring). Soon, it became clear that she was as mad about Quidditch as the majority of her family and reasonably talented as a Chaser.
Though generally a rather skilled witch, she didn't have much interest in anything beyond flying. She toyed with the idea of becoming an Animagus as she was fond of Transfiguration, but quickly gave up on it again when realizing that it would take away too much time from Quidditch practice.
She succeeded in joining a professional team soon after the completion of her education and everything went smoothly for many years - repeated injuries not counted. This life met an abrupt end about a month before her twenty-eighth birthday when she suffered a severe blow to the head by a Bludger and fell many yards from her broom. The injuries proved too severe to make it safe for her to ever play Quidditch again. The sport having been her life, Gioconda had a severe mental crisis at the end of which she decided to start completely new. To achieve this, she wanted to leave everything behind, her home reminding her too much of her shattered dreams, setting her mind on moving to her mother's native country, completely unaware of the political turmoils as she had never payed attention to anything in Britain apart from the Quidditch results.
Being very much unsettled by what had happened before, it is very much open to chance how Gioconda will finally react to the political situation once she gains any awareness of it.

Plots and Politics
What is your character’s stance on the recent takeover of the Ministry by Death Eaters? Gioconda has no idea about what is going on but would be terrified, especially as she had grown up in the firm belief that Death Eaters were a thing from the most distant past.

Where did your character stand in the treatment of Death Eaters and their families under the late Minister Durant's rule? Not much reliable information reached Italy, and what was heard was generally depicted in a positive light. In general, Gioconda was positive as her family, especially her mother, thought only the worst of Death Eaters.

How was your character and their family affected by the reign and death of Voldemort? Gioconda was too young and not in England during the time and therefore not personally involved. Nevertheless, Gioconda grew up hating Voldemort and his followers due to the fact that her mother's beloved little sister died fighting Voldemort.

Family
Parents: Letitia Corvini-Dennyston (1962); Alessandro Corvini (1960)
Siblings: Gaetano Corvini (1991)
Children: None
Partner: None
Other Relevant Family: Serena Dennyston (aunt, 1973-1998)
Family History:
Gioconda's father was from an old Italian wizarding family and - after a career as Quidditch player - served in the Italian Ministery of Magic, Department of Magical Sports.
Her maternal great-grandfather, Felix Dennyston, was a Muggleborn who had an impressive Quidditch carrier during which he met his later wife Ambrosia Nott, a member of a very strict pure-blood family that broke with her after her marriage. The couple had two children, Hillary (who ended up marrying the Beater who ruined her Quidditch carrier) and Beatus, Gioconda's grandfather and also skilled Quidditch player. He married a Muggle and the couple had two children, Gioconda's mother Letitia and the much younger Serena. Letitia went to Hogwarts and was sorted into Ravenclaw, having a successful time at school, both scholarly and in Quidditch terms though she didn't share the rest of her family's extreme obsession with the sport. At the time when Letitia had finished her education, it seemed only a question of time until Voldemort would totally take over, causing her grandfather to leave the country and taking his grand-daughter with him. While traveling in Italy she met her later husband and soon settled down, her grand-parents eventually joining them.
Of Voldemort's second rise to power, there was very little awareness in Italy and Letitia would have completely overlooked it had it not been for her little sister. Playing at Puddlemere United and befriending Oliver Wood, Serena was diverted enough from Quidditch to decide to join the Battle of Hogwarts what resulted in her death.
In the wake, Gioconda's grandparents moved to Italy too, leaving Britain behind and living near their elder daughter and her two children. Gioconda's brother grew up to become a well-known broom-designer and Quidditch referee.

Other:

Eve
None

What is the status of this application?
Complete

Have you read the site plot, rules, and timeline?
Yes

How did you hear about Insurrection?
Morgan PMed me on fanfiction.net

Play-By:
Danae Dörken

Roleplay Sample
Gioconda closed her eyes and tried to feel as calm as she had assured her mother she was feeling. The old kettle on Signora Gozzi's desk would bring her to England in five minutes. In five minutes she would be in her mother's patria – Gioconda stumbled mentally. 'That's wrong,' she scolded herself. 'Think English! It's not that difficult, really.' Gioconda had indeed spent the last month speaking English to her mother, trying to feel familiar in what should be her maternal language. Nevertheless, the wrong words popped up in her mind far too often and every single time she began to doubt her decision.
She had no family in England anymore, at least none she was familiar with. She had only visited Britain on holidays as a very young child and she remembered nearly nothing apart from horrid weather and food. And she would never have dreamt of leaving Italy were it not of its all too great familiarity, reminding her continually of how her plans had all gone wrong.
She tightened her grip around her broomstick. Yes, the Healers had forbidden her ever to play Quidditch again but she couldn't leave her broom. It was hard enough to abandon her career, to place her health over her ambition. But she wouldn't stay behind to watch what had - little more than a month ago - been her team flying to success while she was tied to the stands. She'd have a new life, in a new country, among strangers.
Gioconda opened her eyes again and forced herself to smile at the employee of the Ufficio del Trasporto Magico. Turning from Signora Gozzi, she embraced her mother who had been eyeing her full of doubt. 'Don't worry, I'll be fine.' She straightened the rucksack on her back and took her trunk in one hand, stowing her broom under her arm. With her free hand she reached out to touch the kettle.
'Be careful,' said her mother suddenly. 'Strange news have been reported of late.'
Gioconda half turned her head in surprise but just then the kettle under her hand sprang to life, she felt a jerk somewhere behind her navel and the office dissolved around her.

Admin Morgan
Admin Morgan Avatar
staff
8,041 posts
26 years old
Administrator
played by Morgan
"Life ain't all blueberries and paper airplanes, you know what I mean."
options

Post by Admin Morgan on Apr 21, 2017 20:01:04 GMT -5

Hey , checking in! This app looks done but it still says Work-In-Progress so I can't sort :D make sure to change it when it's done! Wouldn't want to sort it if you're still working on it!
Gioconda Corvini
Gioconda Corvini Avatar
113 posts
30 years old
Lufkin University
Third Year English Student

Employee at Flourish and Blotts
University Student
played by Eve
""
options

Post by Gioconda Corvini on Apr 22, 2017 8:03:37 GMT -5

Ups, my mistake, I didn't really know whether you'd consider it complete as it is now.
Sorry, I'm so clumsy...
Admin Morgan
Admin Morgan Avatar
staff
8,041 posts
26 years old
Administrator
played by Morgan
options

Post by Admin Morgan on Apr 24, 2017 18:55:10 GMT -5

PENDING

Just a few changes to make before we can sort!

1) Since pureblood families are in the minority in the wizarding world, we try to keep original families to a minimum. We have a registry where you can apply to create a character, but new members are not eligible for it for their first character! So she will need to be changed to a halfblood!

2) Former Quidditch player isn't actually a job, so she will be put as Unemployed unless you pick another career for her! Of course, that's totally fine if you wanted her to be Unemployed but I just thought I'd make sure!

3) In her history you mention her Quidditch career coming to an end right before her twenty-ninth birthday, but she actually just would have turned twenty-eight so I assume you meant that if you just want to change it!

4) We actually already have a Nott on site, and since you'll have to change her to a halfblood, I recommend just changing the surname of Ambrosia to sort that out!

Once that's sorted out, I can accept your character!
Gioconda Corvini
Gioconda Corvini Avatar
113 posts
30 years old
Lufkin University

University Student
played by Eve
""
options

Post by Gioconda Corvini on Apr 25, 2017 8:48:44 GMT -5

Okay, I've still got some questions (sorry, I'm afraid I'm rubbish at this):
1) Em, I hesitate where to change the family tree. I suppose I could change her father into a half-blood, but that would still leave the character as pure-blood? I don't know whether you've got anything about the Griffiths, Glynnis is mentioned in Quidditch Through the Ages, so she's kind of canon. Probably I should replace her with a Muggle? Would probably be more convenient?
2) Thanks for pointing it out.
3) Argh, thanks, I payed so much attention to dates and then that…
4) I don't think the name Nott would be a big problem as this person would have been born around 1910, 1920, so there would be enough time to erase her from any family tree / make her compliant with it? (Dunno how complex you constructed the family trees). It'd be quite a minor detail to any other member of the family so… And the long ago conflict is rather important for the family history… I'm chewing my fingernails…
Admin Morgan
Admin Morgan Avatar
staff
8,041 posts
26 years old
Administrator
played by Morgan
options

Post by Admin Morgan on Apr 25, 2017 14:33:27 GMT -5

PENDING!

Hey, never apologize for questions!! I'm at work so let me answer as best I can while looking over my shoulder and being paranoid that someone is going to notice me slacking!

1. If you changed her father to a halfblood, she wouldn't be a pureblood. She would be a halfblood, since we deem a pureblood as being families with no Muggles in their family tree (or so they claim, in some cases!) So if you changed one parent to a halfblood, then she could be changed to a halfblood and that would sort that out!

2. And sorry I misread where Nott was in the family tree! Yes, that far back it's totally fine!!

3. And I should have mentioned before but yes, Dabae Dorken is perfect. She is allowed - it's any celebrity really!
Gioconda Corvini
Gioconda Corvini Avatar
113 posts
30 years old
Lufkin University

University Student
played by Eve
""
options

Post by Gioconda Corvini on Apr 26, 2017 4:15:50 GMT -5

Phew, I hope I made all the necessary changes. Thank you!
Admin Morgan
Admin Morgan Avatar
staff
8,041 posts
26 years old
Administrator
played by Morgan
options

Post by Admin Morgan on Apr 26, 2017 15:19:25 GMT -5

ACCEPTED!