Off Kilter|| James

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jul 5, 2015 20:25:13 GMT -5

The head of house knew that not all wizards played Quidditch it was a stereotype that everyone subscribed to however. He had seen it with boys in his own house, some of them had other interest like Chess or gobstones. “That’s fair enough. Is there a league over in the states?” asked Samuel curiously since he genuinely had no idea of how the game was structured outside of Europe. “I played for Gryffindor as did my sister, nowadays I just go to the games at school however I don’t have much opportunity to see any of the professional matches” he informed James. “Maybe I’ll surprise my NEWT students next year with that assignment” the blonde professor laughed as he tried to picture the reactions the kids’ faces.

The question that James had put forward hadn’t been one Samuel had been asked before. Before this he could have answered it without any hesitation. Though he wasn’t sure why he was cautious in answering it now, he wasn’t in relationship with anyone outside or inside of Hogwarts. Well not yet anyhow. “Most of Hogwarts staff are single too” Well as far as he was aware anyway. “Professors are definitely entitled to have personal lives but it’s not something that should be brought into the school, ever” he could easily imagined what would have followed that information being revealed at James’s previous school. He didn’t see that happening with him, as he only had his eye on one witch and he knew that Ti wouldn’t resort to something like that either. “I don’t think McGonagall would be too impressed with something like happening here” he went on to say.

“Was it a serious incident? “ Samuel asked curiously. “Well if any Gryffindors leave your class send them my way, as their head of house I’ll be speaking with them” he advised the other wizard. That was something he would need to work on over summer.

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jul 5, 2015 22:15:37 GMT -5

The brown haired man smiled. "We don't have Quidditch in the school the way Hogwarts does. We don't have houses. The students are separated in classes by a lottery done by the Headmaster. We have club teams, though it isn't the same thing." He had attempted to start a more competitive program only to have it fail. The students were interested in fun and an escape from the stresses of school, not about adding more stress of competition.

James couldn't hold back the laugh. "I can just picture her face if it did. I saw the look I imagine her having directed at a few of my classmates back when we were students. I honestly couldn't believe it happened there. I don't want to talk down as that is the only time something of that nature occurred to my knowledge." He truly felt badly about painting the American Wizarding Institute as anything less than the prestigious school it was, but after experiencing something of the sort he simply wanted to be prepared for whatever he was walking into.

"The incident in my classroom was not serious and the student willing served detention with me for the next two nights. I was understanding, though made sure to make clear it was unacceptable behavior. No hexes were sent, the young lady just didn't want to cry in public and so she fled. I will be sure to let you know, though, in regards to Gryffindors." His time of teaching in America had been work, but had also been fun. His pupils had respected him and he was a teacher they were willing to talk to, a positive thing in his mind. Too often he had come across professors who were unapproachable and, as such, struggled to connect or motivate their students to study outside of class. He was pleased to see a different attitude here.
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jul 6, 2015 7:00:21 GMT -5

Samuel listened as the muggle studies professor explained the set up of the school and the lack of Quidditch in schools. From what he knew the three big European magical schools played the game a fair bit at school though only Hogwarts had houses to his knowledge. He found the lottery system rather peculiar too. “A lottery system?” he questioned with an arched brow, that method seemed a bit risky. “Are the kids divided by their year and age group still?” he asked further, thinking it would confronting for first years to be placed with older years if that were the case. “What do you mean club teams?.......Sorry for all the questions it’s just all very fascinating” which honestly it was.

Let me tell you now, she still has that same look which is good as it works amazingly well on the students” Samuel informed James smiling. Merlin help the staff of Hogwarts if any of them were caught up in a similar situation in the Great Hall but he really didn’t such a thing coming to fruition up a the castle. “I highly doubt you’ll be seeing anything of such nature at Hogwarts” the former Gryffindor added. The faculty of school prided themselves on being professional; something Samuel was sure wouldn’t waiver if he and Daisy did start dating, but was still a while off and he tried his hardest not to think about it.

Well that’s not too bad. The students of Hogwarts nowadays do tend to get physical with each other, I come across it in time to time in the tower from time to time” he was referring to many times he went to check on his lions only to find some of the boys fighting, it was always about egos with Gryffindors and was something that wasn’t going to change fast. “If you don’t mind me asking what brought you back to England or rather Scotland?” he asked, laughing as he corrected himself.

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jul 6, 2015 12:45:11 GMT -5

James couldn't help but understand the questions. He had thought it odd when he had first started as an apprentice. "They are separated by year. The only time the lottery system comes into effect is for rooming decisions and the division of classes. We have four to a room, divided by year and by sex. The lottery changes each year, so your roommates change. Each age group is split in half randomly for classes to keep the student - teacher ratio down," he explained. The system had its advantages, but there also wasn't the commradre among the students as the house system created.

"For Quidditch we attempted to create a similar system. We had students sign up and then randomly drafted them onto teams. They played for fun, but it was never as competitive as the House teams here. Anyone could sign up so you had varying skill levels competing as well. They still have the club system, but I fear it will never be competitive," James said looking over at his colleague.
"I honestly was surprised when it happened there, but with McGonagall in charge I can't see anyone being daring enough to cause a commotion in the Great Hall so I would agree."

James took a sip of his drink, slightly taken aback by the question. It wasn't that he minded, but it would provide more background than he was used to having to give. "My father took ill and so I moved back to be closer to the family," he finally settled on, deciding that would be the easiest and the safest answer.
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jul 6, 2015 18:59:56 GMT -5

Samuel understood and envisioned the lottery system as James explained it. He wasn’t sure that institution would employ such a flawed system, well to Samuel that system appeared flawed. But who was he to Judge just like Muggle schools magical ones too had their down points, heck even to an outsider he knew they could find problems with Hogwarts. But he supposed that for centuries people had been finding problems with the school and he didn’t see that ceasing any time soon. “I suppose one benefit of changing every year is you get to meet new people but still the keeps the kids from forming solid friendships” Samuel shrugged. He didn’t have a problem with the student to teacher ratio as it currently was at Hogwarts, apart from a the odd troublemaker he was able to teach Charms relatively smoothly.

The way that the other wizard explained the way in which his previous school had conducted Quidditch matches and certainly seemed more relaxed than the registering and trying out for the team and those try outs could be very gruelling. “The Quidditch try outs the kids go through here are tough that I can confirm. The captains and the teams in general take their sport very seriously, I wouldn’t be surprised if they train profusely over the summer” the head of house stated before taking another sip of his butterbeer. “Most definitely not, we all hold the headmistress in very high regard and would never dream of doing such a thing” he nodded in affirmation.

“I’m sorry to hear that mate” he smiled at James sympathetically. He felt a little guilty for not knowing anything about his father after his parent’s divorced. Maybe that was a smaller reason why his sister resented him too, he wasn’t sure. “How is he fairing now?”

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jul 6, 2015 20:31:57 GMT -5

Taking a sip of his drink James took a moment before responding. "They do meet a whole lot of folks and it teaches the students how to cope with changing situations and a vast amount of people. That being said, you don't see the tight knit relationships as I had in my days of Hogwarts and as I am sure still happen." That was about the best way he could sum it up. They were different systems, but if he was honest he preferred Hogwarts. He was very much excited to be returning to the school.

"My sister went through the Quidditch process here. I remember the hours she spent practicing in the summer just to keep her spot," the Muggle Studies professor stated. He had helped her with the sport until he had left for the States. She hadn't gotten over that, but there wasn't much for it. He had taken the apprenticeship which led to his dream job. It wasn't his fault he was older than her.

James nodded, appreciative of the sympathy. It wasn't something he was thrilled with, though his father was doing much better. The surgery had taken care of most of the problem. Now he was continuing the treatment and, at the end, they would repeat the tests and see where to go from there. "He's doing alright. There are good days and bad days, though he is much better than before. He will require more care and I saw the job opening so it just seemed to fit. What about you? Anything exciting going on in your life?"
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jul 7, 2015 6:51:30 GMT -5

The Charms professor thought over what James was saying. Like everything it was all about perspective. “I suppose it also stops cliques from forming” he commented . Of course didn’t really exist at Hogwarts either. Samuel also wondered if prejudice against certain blood statues existed over in the states, especially since they seemed to escape relatively unscathed from the reign of Voldemort. But he wasn’t going to bring it up, he had only just met James and this was meant to be like an introductory drink between two professors. “Yeah I can verify the close-knit relationships still exist at Hogwarts, I’m sure the class of 2015 will probably continue to hang with each other even if they've just graduated”  he nodded.

“Oh is your sister younger or older?”
he asked wondering. “Sometimes I think the girls work harder than the boys in training” Samuel laughed, of course he knew that both genders worked the same amount when it came to training or working out different Quidditch plays. “By the way in case you’re wondering Slytherin won the house cup this past year” he told James still not knowing what house the other bloke had been in when he had studied at Hogwarts.

“That’s always the case” stated Samuel in regards to James talking about his father having good and bad days. “But I hope all goes well with him” he spoke honestly. Exciting? Well he could think of a few things that may be classed as exciting. Samuel cleared his throat and scratched his neck as he racked his brain trying to work out how to answer James since he had just brought up faculty relationships. “Not really mate, I’m just enjoying my summer, catching up with my mum and I had lunch with a co-worker but we’re not together, well not yet……” he trailed off as he picked up his drink and finished if off before looking towards the bar and gestured for another to be sent over.

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jul 7, 2015 19:45:05 GMT -5

James nodded and finished his drink, pondering Samuel's comments. He was correct, in a way the students weren't as close, though he supposed there were a few groups that could be classified as cliques now that he thought about it. He didn't classify them as such due to the fact the groups didn't match the stereotypical image of a clique. "There are still several groups who meet up now that they are graduated, but there aren't as many groups as Hogwarts. Hogwarts really is like gaining a second family."

"My sister is younger. She was a first year Gryffindor during the Battle of Hogwarts," he replied. They weren't as close as he would like. He hadn't been around for much of her childhood having accepted the apprenticeship, though he wasn't about to openly admit any of that to his colleague, at least not yet. They were just meeting and he wanted to keep it friendly. "Good for Slytherin, though I must admit, as an alumni, I hope to see Ravenclaw capture the cup this year," James said with a lightness to his voice that hadn't been present in several months.

James nodded in understanding. He wasn't sure what to say. It sounded like the man truly cared for someone, but he wasn't going to pry. It wasn't in his nature to do so, not to mention the fact he didn't want to have to explain his current loveless situation. "Thank you," he finally said, thanking the man for his well wishes.
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jul 7, 2015 20:28:00 GMT -5

The charms professor nodded his head. He wholeheartedly agreed with James’s comment about Hogwarts being like a second family. That was definitely true. “Very well said mate, after all for seven years of our lives we spend more time at school with the other students and professors than we do with our actual families” he remarked . Even if in Samuel’s case some that time hadn’t been very pleasant.

"Was she now? I was in my second year during the battle. If you don’t mind me asking, what’s her name?” asked Samuel curiously he could have known James’s sister if she was only a year younger than him. Heck he may have even dated her. That’s where the wizard stopped in his in thoughts he didn’t want to think about that in the presence of her older brother, it was way too awkward. “You were in Ravenclaw too?” he asked rhetorically. “The new Arithmancy professor is also a former eagle” he informed James. Just that mention alone brought thoughts back of Daisy back into his head.

"Have you been back in England long?” Samuel went on to ask, since he was glad that the other hadn’t asked anything about who this woman was that he fancied. He was enjoying the conversation it was nice to be able to relax in this setting.

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jul 7, 2015 20:57:39 GMT -5

"My sister is Veronica Williams, though she has always gone by Nikki," he said. James was at a loss of what else to say. They looked similar enough, though he really didn't know much about his sister's time in school. He knew she had enjoyed herself from his mum's letters, but that was the extent of it. The professor refused to let his mind carry his thoughts any further in that direction.

The Muggle Studies professor couldn't help but smile at hearing another Ravenclaw was on staff. "I hadn't realized. McGonagall went through the rundown so quickly I barely had time to wrap my head around who is who on staff," he mentioned more to himself. He made a mental note to review the staff list a bit more closely when he got home. It wouldn't do to walk in on the first day and be stumbling for names.

James shook his head. "I've only been back just shy of a month. This is the first moment I have had to venture out." The three weeks had really been spent in the hospital with his father or trying to set up his apartment. He also had been attempting to replace some furniture do to leaving many pieces with his now ex, though he refused to dwell on that.