staff
8,041 posts
26 years old
Administrator
played by Morgan
"Life ain't all blueberries and paper airplanes, you know what I mean."
options

Post by Admin Morgan on Oct 3, 2018 15:42:15 GMT -5

Happy October! Are you all excited for the best month of the year? Or at least one of the best months of the year, okay. Your staff team is feeling very spooky and festive, which you can probably tell already. There’s a lot to talk about, so let’s get started, shall we?!

I. October Birthdays
II. October Events
III. October Free Character Group + Needs/Bans
IV. The Squib Flu
V. 31 Days of Halloween
VI. Lumos
VII. Creative Teams
VIII. Word Minimum
IX. Writing Challenge
X. Fun Facts

I. OCTOBER BIRTHDAYS

1st → @belinda
1st →
1st → @maddie
2nd → @logan
3rd → @georgina
5th → @danny
5th → @regulus
5th →
6th → @darius
8th → @pieter
12th →
14th → @lincoln
15th → @alfie
16th → @freya
17th →
17th → @liam
18th → @jared
21st → @ladywatson
21st → @zoee
23rd → @hiro
24th → @donna
25th → @asher
25th → @cheyenne
25th → @imogen
26th →
28th →
29th → @camille
30th →
31st → @calliope
31st → @cas

II. OCTOBER EVENTS

As you all know, Epidemic X has done some damage in September. Both Lufkin University and University of Bangor suspended classes, Hogwarts had suspended the internship program and cancelled the year’s first Hogsmeade weekend, the rest of the Quidditch season was cancelled… you get the picture.

So, we don’t have a lot to give you event-wise. In Hogwarts, however, there is a little bit that you need to know! :D

20 October - Hogsmeade Trip (for the time being, this trip is technically still cancelled, But by the end of the month, who knows?)
27 October - Halloween Ball at 8:00 PM
31 October - Halloween Feast at 6:00 PM

III. OCTOBER FREE CHARACTER GROUP + NEEDS/BANS

If you did not read about it in updates on Discord, you might have missed that our free character group for the month is WEREWOLVES! That seemed sufficiently festive, am I right?

Our needs have not changed! We are still looking for FIRST YEAR HOGWARTS STUDENTS, HOGWARTS STAFF, and VEELA!

One other thing to note. We have officially lifted our partial pureblood ban for the time being, however this is on a temporary basis. I’m a little worried we’re about to be hit with a huge number of purebloods now that it is lifted. So be wary! If I find myself sorting a zillion pureblood apps, it’s going to bump our numbers right back up and the ban will be right back in place the second we get above 30%!

Also keep it in mind for making your own percent unmanageable if the ban comes back in the future!

You can look at the full information RIGHT HERE as always!

IV. THE SQUIB FLU

Last month, we told you everything that you need to know about the Squib Flu. And I personally think it has been an amazingly fun month and we are just getting started!

Now that people are finally getting better from the actual flu-like symptoms, they are going to start going back to their daily lives. We recently posted an update saying that people are being released from Pyxis as their symptoms fade away.

There’s just some very quick bits of information that I want to go over for this month! Some quick potential questions, and some job things! Let’s start with the questions, shall we?

Can my character apparate?
No!

Can my character side-along apparate?
Yes!

Can my character use a portkey?
Yes!

Can my character Floo?
Yes, it’s the Floo powder and linked fireplaces that has the magic.

Can my character fly on a broom?
No! While the broom does have magic, your character needs to channel their own to operate it.

Can my character fly on a broom with another person?
If someone with magic is controlling the broom, then your magicless person could be riding on the broom with them!

Can my character brew potions?
No! Potion-making might not appear to have a great deal of magical input, but at some point there is wandwork involved to add magic to the ingredients. With assistance, however, they could!

Can they still see charmed areas?
Yes! They can still see Hogwarts, the Leaky Cauldron, and everywhere else that is charmed for Muggles to not be able to see it. Just like Squibs can still see it!

Can they get into Diagon Alley, though?
Yes. The brickway to enter Diagon Alley through the Leaky Cauldron was charmed to stay open to make it easier for those who had lost magic to go to and from, especially if they live there.

Now let’s talk jobs! No one is just fired because they don’t have magic. There are definitely some people who are in a pickle (obliviators is a big one, little hard to do that without magic!) and those people can either be reassigned to a different job preferably within the department or they can choose to be assigned to desk duty!

But for jobs that do not necessarily require magic, they will be trained to do their jobs without magic. Specifically, what comes to mind would be like… aurors, hit-wizards, healers. You can enforce the law without magic, they will just need to focus more on physical training, just like police officer training or FBI training, etc. Healers would be trained in other methods of healing, you get the picture!

Please let us know if you have any questions at all that aren’t answered here!

V. 31 DAYS OF HALLOWEEN

It’s officially our second annual 31 Days of Halloween — or as I like to call it, the month where I die and have no time to post because there are so many fun things going on!

But that is fine, BECAUSE IT’S THE SPOOKIEST MONTH OF THE YEAR! And we love it. So keep your eyeballs on our 31 Days of Halloween board which will have events posted every day!

So far, we have our pumpkin patch, a whodunit mystery, and a graphics challenge!

VI. LUMOS

We’re back around to Lumos on our monthly activity and you guys are slaying already!

I’m talking, we already have three winners and it’s the third day of the month. But it’s not too late to play, people! Remember that the big money still comes for 4th and 5th place, and you get an entire galleon for clearing your board! So don’t be daunted by our speedy winners!

There is still a lot of game left to play!

Go sign up RIGHT HERE!

VII. CREATIVE TEAMS

It’s officially time for Team Incendio to do its thing! They have the reigns for some fun events in the next couple of months!

Remember you can sign up to be a part of creative teams RIGHT HERE!

VIII. WORD MINIMUM

You all likely have heard this by now and it did get posted about in updates but I like making sure that we all know what’s going on!

So, the poll last month was nearly unanimous. Our site word minimum has moved up to 250 words a post! :D

IX. WRITING CHALLENGE

You all know that we have been rotating between writing challenges and development challenges every month. This one is very spooky and fun!

There are even two choices for prompts this month and remember that every entry is worth one sickle! And isn’t it fun getting to know your character more through writing prompts?

I think so. So, go write away RIGHT HERE!

X. FUN FACTS

-When hippos are upset, their sweat turns red!
-We have a disproportionate number of left-handed staff members!
-Jenna is conversational in five languages, including sarcasm!
-Tori learned how to hang cabinets yesterday!