sexual orientation
Heterosexual
epidemic x status
Infected!
occupation
Magic Teacher at Peverell Children's Academy
Magizoologist
general appearance
Clarissa has always been a sensible woman. In perhaps both the best and worst ways. Her light red hair, usually curled and tucked behind her ears, is practical for a woman her age. Her eyes - bright pools of blue - are usually accented with perfectly practical makeup for someone in her career field (whether its in the classroom, or out in the safari zones of Africa). Usually, she prefers to wear a pair of high waisted trousers and a sensible pair of shoes - rarely ever heels (she's much too fond of walking over difficult terrain for heels). Standing only at 160 cm tall, Clarissa is a petite woman, though she has a rather loud voice when she's passionate about something. Her hands show signs of many years of hard work - remnants from her days cataloguing species in the African deserts and Amazonian rainforests. Rarely ever seen is a tattoo of a blue turtledove on her lower back, with the name Amara written in script.

former school
Hogwarts
former house
Ravenclaw
achievements
Magic Creatures Club ☼ 1991-1998
Herbology Club ☼ 1991-1998
Mock Wizengamot ☼ 1991-1998
Charms ☼ 1991-1998
Made questionable decisions with @magnus for years.

university
Lufkin University + Tafadhdhal University
university major(s)
Education + Magizoology
years attended
1998-2002 + 2002-2006

skills
KINDNESS ☼ Clarissa is, and always has been, a bleeding heart. It doesn't matter if the matter at hand has to deal with humans, plants, animals, or magical creatures, she'll do anything in her power to help when she can. She's always had a big heart and has a lot of love to give...though, sometimes, it's misplaced in the wrong people.

CARE OF MAGICAL CREATURES ☼ Clarissa is incredibly good with animals and magical creatures. It's like she has a sixth sense for what they are feeling and what they need. She attributes this in-tuned nature to her time spent with Magnus. He taught her so much about how to read animals and adjust to the way that they express themselves. She owes a lot to him, actually, though she'd rather not talk about it.

TEACHING ☼ With a degree in education, Clarissa is well-adapted to teaching the youth. She could've gone on to teach at Hogwarts, which was once her dream, but recently decided that she would rather work with younger students...teaching them about the joy magic can bring from such a young age. She's recently started her position as Magic Teacher at Peverell.

MATERNAL INSTINCTS ☼ Clarissa's two daughters have taught her that the animalistic nature of maternal instincts isn't just something that's passed along through the animal kingdom, but through human nature, as well. When her daughters were born, she felt it. Extraordinary protective, she would do anything for them and pays close attention to their needs. Though they've taken to calling her a "broomstick parent," as of late. Teenagers...

OBSERVING ☼ Clarissa can easily sit back and observe a situation from afar and make decisions (and notes) about it before she approaches. She likes to see how her students - and the animals she once studied - resolve conflict before getting involved herself. Parents of Peverell students often enjoy reading through Clarissa's notes about their students. They find them very insightful.
weaknesses
CONFLICT ☼ Clarissa has never been that interested in getting in the middle of conflict. In fact, she actively shies away from it. Even as a child, it made her grossly uncomfortable. It's part of the reason she decided to run away from Magnus and the life that she'd been living. Sometimes, it's just easier to pick up and run from your problems than it is to actually face them.

MAGNUS EVERLIGHT ☼ The boy from her past that she's never quite been able to forget about. Although Clarissa isn't sure that she feels romantically about him any longer - after all, she is happily married, thanks for asking - she knows that she owes him an explanation for what happened all those years ago. Perhaps that's the reason she's been so adamant about avoiding him since she's returned to England.

THE PAST ☼ Clarissa really doesn't like to talk about what happened. At ten years old, she lost the one person in the world that she never thought she would have to live without: Amara. Her little sister still haunts her to this day. Bring it up and Clarissa will brush it off as something unimportant, but in truth, it still cuts deep, even to this day.

OVER-PROTECTIVE ☼ Clarissa's little sister Amara died when she was eight years old and she's has never quite gotten over it. She holds those she loves very near and dear to her heart, especially her daughters, Amara and Clover. She'd do anything in the world to protect them.

STANDING IN THE SPOTLIGHT ☼ Although Clarissa Knight should have been credited for the discovery of the last known Phoenix Nest in Africa, she chose to instead give the credit to her ex-husband Demetrius. She doesn't like being in the spotlight and instantly shies away from it. Part of this is due to her dislike of being the center of attention and the other part is because she doesn't want Magnus Everlight to see her name (or picture) in the papers.
positive traits
BENEVOLENT CALM CARING COMPASSIONATE CONSCIENTIOUS CONSIDERATE COOPERATIVE DEDICATED DISCIPLINED DISCREET EARNEST EDUCATED ELOQUENT EMPATHETIC GENTLE GRACIOUS HARDWORKING MODEST OBSERVANT ORGANIZED PATIENT POLISHED PRUDENT PUNCTUAL SELFLESS SENTIMENTAL
negative traits
ANXIOUS AVOIDS CONFRONTATION/CONFLICT DEFENSIVE EASILY BURNS OUT EMOTIONAL EXTREMELY PRIVATE LONELY NONCOMMITTAL ORDINARY OVER-PROTECTIVE OVERLY POLITE PERFECTIONIST PRIVATE RESERVED SELF-CRITICAL SENSITIVE SHY STUBBORN
hobbies/interests
Spending time outdoors Teaching students the fundamentals of magic Looking after her daughters Naturalism Care of Magical Creatures Clarissa really likes studying and cataloging XXXXX Creatures, despite the danger associated with that classification Taking detailed notes Imparting wisdom to Clover and Amara Travelling Book restoration Drawing - her sketches of magical creatures are particularly divine, though there are portraits of her daughters hanging in her foyer done by her, though she refuses to claim them out of modesty Animal keeping and pets (she pretty much lets Amara and Clover pick out whatever pet they want and has a small(ish) magical zoo on her upper level Hiking Bird watching Tracking magical and non-magical creatures She's an advocate for animal's rights She enjoys caring for a small bonsai tree that she keeps at Peverell Yoga Sailing Falling in love with unfortunate men She's quite a Cricket player
accomplishments
Discovered last Phoenix Nest in Africa, Uncredited
Rehabilitated Murtlaps on the Coast of Nungwi, Zanzibar, Uncredited
Tracked largest known herd of Nunduses through Eastern Africa, Uncredited
Her two very beautiful daughters are her biggest accomplishments, to date

character history
Amelia and Wyatt Gladen always wanted a big family. That's what they always told me, anyways. They talked about having five or six kids and moving up the coast when they were older. They talked about family legacy.

It was...a lot to swallow as a kid. I was the first born - the oldest - and I wasn't sure that I wanted to share. At least, not until Amara came around. She was perfect in every way. Even as a baby, I swore that she was the best thing this world had ever produced. She was quiet and cooed when we would talk to her. I figured if every kid my parents birthed were going to be quite so delightful, maybe things wouldn't be that bad, after all.

But Mum got sick after she gave birth to Mara. She didn't like to talk about it, but my first memory was age three...standing at the foot of her bed as she slowly took off the wig and set it on her bedside table. She beckoned to me and I...panicked.

She beat the cancer. Mum's strong like that, but it left a profound impact on her. Without the ability to have anymore children, my mother put stock in making sure that Amara and I knew how special we were. She retired from her job at Madame Malkin's in Diagon Alley and became a stay-at-home mother. My father - the History Professor - kept money coming in with his textbooks.

I was ten when it happened. Amara, Mum, and I were on our way to the park for a playdate when the drunk driver ran a light in the city. No one could have predicted someone would be so entirely and utterly trashed so early in the morning....but the car slammed right into Amara's side of the car, crushing her completely.

They had to pull me away from her body.

I almost didn't go to Hogwarts after that. Losing my sister was the worst thing that could have ever happened to me...or my parents. They were devastated and I? Well, I was in shock.

I almost can't even remember the train ride or being sorted. All I know was that when the hat shouted out my house, the table of blue and bronze erupted into gleeful cheers and for a second - just for a moment - I thought I could be happy again.

Dedicated to my studies, the next few years were tumultuous. With the changing tides of Harry Potter and Voldemort - their shifting planets and plans - I tried even harder to throw myself into my studies. I rarely even looked up from my textbooks long enough to get a glimpse of what was truly going on...at least, until my seventh year when Magnus Everlight asked me on a date.

It was strange, really. I'd never considered myself pretty or worthy of the attention of one of the most popular Ravenclaws in our year...but, standing under a cherry blossom, he told me that I had beautiful eyes. He told me that he'd admired me for a long time. Magnus was...a charmer like that, but without fail, I fell for him.

We graduated and enrolled in Lufkin, Magnus studying Magizoology and me, Education.

There was a lot of pressure to get married and have kids and I…fell in for a little while. I mean, my parents had lost everything when they lost Amara. I wasn’t sure if they wanted grandchildren to fill the gap or what…but before long, Magnus was proposing and I was saying yes, even though my stomach felt like it was on fire.

Truth is, I just wanted more out of life. I wanted to be able to go my own way and explore the world as it was. I wanted…something more. Magnus thought I was pushing him into a family and children, but it was just the residual pressure from my parents. I guess…well, at the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter how it happened. He felt the way he felt and I felt the way I did.

But curse all, I’d never been good at confrontation. I was a coward. A bloody coward and I knew it. So I ran. I did the only thing I could think of and threw all my stuff in a bag and ran. Took the first Portkey out of London and straight to Morocco. I told my parents where I'd gone...asked them to say nothing to Magnus. When the authorities questioned them, they assured them that I would come to my senses and return. But I never did.

I'd heard they had quite the Magizoology program and I was intrigued by Magnus' major. A part of me felt bad...horrible, even, for what I'd done. But I couldn't marry him. Not yet, at least.

I wanted to live out my dreams, first. The program was rigorous. Full of expeditions into the deep jungles of Africa. I spent hours on end observing and documenting species like I'd never seen before. At night, I would lay awake in my tent, dreaming of the life that would've been mine: a stay-at-home wife with three kids by then...

I met Demetrius during my third year. He was a Fourth Year Teaching Assistant for the Magizoology class I was taking on Dragons and XXXXX Creatures. We hit it off instantly and may or may not have spent a few drunken nights together (what can I say, years without Magnus hadn't been easy). And, a few missed cycles later, I realized what we had done. I was pregnant.

I gave birth to Amara in 2005, right at the beginning of term. Demetrius and I decided to marry when I graduated and spent our next few years traveling across Africa, cataloging creatures that had never been seen before. I was on the hunt for one of the last known Phoenix nests in the world and he was along for the ride. If we found them, we would be ranked among the most famous Magizoologists to have ever walked the world.

But that would also mean that Magnus would see my names in all the papers. It was the reason I let Demetrius take the credit for what we found that summer. Clover was born in 2007, right as Deme and I began our second trek across the country. Two Magizoologists and their babies...it was like something out of a movie. But we made it work.

Growing up Amara and Clover learned what it meant to work hard and fast. Be quick and observant. But over the next few years, things changed. Deme grew hungrier to discover and research. He began taking more and more credit, even for their small discoveries, taking advantage of my unwillingness to be featured in the local media.

We divorced shortly after January of 2013.

I left Morocco and Africa behind after that, taking the children with me and returning to London. Amara attended Hogwarts in 2016 and was sorted into Gryffindor. Brave little one - she takes after her father in more ways than she'll ever know. My sweet little Clover joined her this year and was sorted into Hufflepuff.

And me? Well, a mother's work is never done, is it? Protective as I was, I wanted to be close to them. I considered a position at Hogwarts, but Amara insisted she would be fine. So instead, I took a job at Peverell, teaching the young ones about magic. It brings me back to the old days...the old Clarissa. The young girl struggling with who she wanted to be, majoring in Education because she thought it what she should do.

But I love my students more than anything. And for once in my life, I feel fulfilled. There's no Deme looking over my shoulder trying to steal the credit. I can be anonymous here...no worry of Magnus showing up on my doorstep asking for an explanation. At least, I hope.

parents
Mother: Amelia Calytrix Gladen (nee Figg) - 57, halfblood, Retired, Ravenclaw Alum
Father: Wyatt Jasper Gladen - 58, halfblood, Retired, Ravenclaw Alum
siblings
Younger Sister: Amara Gladen - deceased age 8
children
Daughter: Amara Jasper Knight - 13, halfblood, 3rd Year Gryffindor student
Daughter: Clover Olivia Knight - 11, halfblood, 1st Year Hufflepuff student
partner
Ex-Husband: Demetrius Theodore Knight - 43, halfblood, Professor of Magizoologist at Lufkin, Magizoologist, Uagdaou Alum, Tafadhdhal University Alum
Ex-Fiance: @magnus - 38, halfblood, Magizoologist, Beast Division + Being Division in the department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures
other family
Great Grandmother: Matilda Figg (nee Barnes) - 104, halfblood, Retired, Hufflepuff Alum
Great Grandfather: Maxwell Figg - Deceased, Squib, Retired, Oxford University Alum

Grandfather: Marshall Figg - 87, Squib, Cat Breeder
Grandmother: Margot Figg (nee Riley) - 84, halfblood, Loving wife of a cat breeder, Retired Auror

Uncle: Samuel Figg - 59, halfblood, Owner of the Hogsmeade Post Office, Hufflepuff Alum
Aunt: Claudia Figg (nee Gill) - 58, halfblood, Hogwarts Librarian, Hufflepuff Alum

Second Cousin: @rose - 34, halfblood, Year One Teacher at Peverell Children's Academy, Auror, Hufflepuff Alum
family history
The Figgs (thanks Tori!):

Maxwell Figg was born in 1900, the son of a muggle farmer and a wixen seamstress. He was the eldest of three, and his younger sisters both married, and went on to raise families of their own. Of the three of them, only he and his elder younger sister had magic. The baby had been a squib. But they had loved her just the same. No one worried too much about things like that in their family. His mother had been cast out by her magical family for marrying a muggle in the first place.

Maxwell married Matilda Barnes in 1922, and their first child, a boy that they named Jasper, was born in 1924. Jasper went on to marry the Figg that most people know by name. Arabella. She was two years younger than he was, and a squib, just like Jasper's younger brother, Marshall. Maxwell and Matilda had a third, and final child, a girl that they named Clementine in 1937.

Marshall and Clementine both went on to have families of their own. Marshall married Margot Riley in 1956 and had a son named Samuel in 1959. They had a daughter, Amelia, two years later, and their little family was complete. Clementine married a man by the name of Francis Zeller in 1956, just a couple of months after her brother married, and they had two children of their own, Jonah, the older of the two, and Eden.

The Gladens:

The Gladen Family can trace their halfblood roots all the way to the great Roman Empire, according to Grandfather and Patriarch Silas Gladen. Long ago, they were said to be descended from great warriors and conquerers, but the Gladens have since learned that they were the robe makers of long ago.

Silas Gladen married Ava Charles in 1939 and had one son, Wyatt Jasper Gladen. Sorted into Ravenclaw as a child at Hogwarts, Wyatt met Amelia Figg for the first time in their house. They wed shortly after Hogwarts and had two children: Clarissa and Amara.

other
Myers-Briggs Personality: INFJ, -A/-T, "The Advocate"

The Advocate personality type is very rare, making up less than one percent of the population, but they nonetheless leave their mark on the world. As members of the Diplomat Role group, Advocates have an inborn sense of idealism and morality, but what sets them apart is that they are not idle dreamers, but people capable of taking concrete steps to realize their goals and make a lasting positive impact.

Advocates tend to see helping others as their purpose in life, but while people with this personality type can be found engaging rescue efforts and doing charity work, their real passion is to get to the heart of the issue so that people need not be rescued at all.

Enneagram Number: The Nine, "The Peacemaker"

Peacemakers are receptive, good-natured, and supportive. They seek union with others and the world around them.

How to get along with A Nine: If you want me to do something, how you ask is important. I especially don't like expectations or pressure. I like to listen and to be of service, but don't take advantage of this. I like a good discussion but not a confrontation.

What's difficult about being A Nine: Being critical of myself for lacking initiative and discipline. Being too sensitive to criticism; taking every raised eyebrow and twitch of the mouth personally. Caring too much about what others will think of me.

Nines as a parents: Supportive, kind, and warm, but sometimes overly permissive or non-directive.
face claim
Emma Stone
status of application
complete
have you read the rules?
NO
how did you hear about us?
HOWLER
roleplay sample

Admin Morgan
Admin Morgan Avatar
staff