Halfblood
sexual orientation
Heterosexual
epidemic x status
Immune
occupation
DragonologistProfessor at Lig-na-Paiste Institute of Dragons
general appearance
“I can give you a very brief summary, but I’m not giving extraneous details. That’s just unnecessary. Anyway — I suppose I’m above average as far as height is concerned. Five feet, seven inches, or around 170 cm. I’m by no means a stick, I have curves I guess, but I’m relatively in shape. I work with dragons, after all. You can’t be slow and work with dragons. It doesn’t end well, okay?

I’m of mixed heritage — my father is a Prewett and I’m sure you recall what most of them look like. Fair skinned, red hair. My mother is from the Dominican Republic, though she was technically adopted by the Howells. This has turned into more than a brief summary, I guess.

I have dark hair, which is textured and curly — I have relaxed my hair before, but honestly I prefer it this way.

My style is relatively casual, I suppose. When I was working with dragons firsthand, it was necessary to be in athletic wear that I could easily move in. Now that I’m teaching that’s not as necessary, I guess. That’s it.”

She does not want to talk about the burns on her back even though that is the reason that she had to officially retire and go to teaching full time. She was in New Zealand at the time, dealing with a pregnant Antipodean Opaleye who had been injured in a fight with a different breed of dragon that had gotten too close to her eggs. In trying to help heal the dragon, it was obviously already a little… upset, and resulted in burns on her back that caused nerve damage.

Day-to-day, she’s all right, but it’s too much of a risk to keep up with dragonology work.

former school
Hogwarts
former house
Ravenclaw
achievements
Herbology Club (2nd Year to 7th Year; 1998-2004)
Magical Creatures Club (2nd Year to 7th Year; 1998-2004)

university
Lig-na-Paiste Institute of Dragons
university major(s)
-
years attended
2004-2008

skills
OBVIOUSLY, HAS A WAY WITH DRAGONS △ Really all creatures, magical or muggle, but she has always loved dragons. It was really not a surprise to anyone in her family that she went to Lig-na-Paiste after graduating from Hogwarts. People who had gone to school with her but didn’t know her all that well might have been a bit more surprised about that, because she was always a little quieter and more restrained there but yes, the point is, the girl loves dragons and she’s very good with them.
SPEAKING SOLOMONARIAN △ Yes, she’s very proud of this fact. Widely considered to be the language of dragons, Guinevere learned it from @alina , when she was spending time in Romania. It’s not exactly an easy language to learn, so again, yes. We are very proud of this. It makes her work with dragons a lot easier too, that is definitely something that she’s noticed in the past years since she learned the language.
THE GREENEST THUMB THERE EVER WAS △ I swear that you could find the deadest soil, and she could find a way to make things grow there. She was in a dragon sanctuary in Oman (and they do not have a lot of arable land in the world, okay) and managed to get some gardens growing so… she’s got a way with plants. Plants and animals, are you sensing a theme here? Better with them than with most people, let’s be honest.
CLEAN EATING △ She was vegan for almost five years after graduating Hogwarts, but she did find that was a little hard to keep up in her travels and she wasn’t getting the nutrients that she needed, but she still keeps to a really clean and healthy diet. But she’s not pretentious about it, don’t worry.
GOOD DANCER △ Nothing too fancy but her mamá always liked to dance so she chucked her in some official lessons. Enough for her to get by at fancy parties ("You act like I go to a lot of fancy parties...") Okay, I know you don't, but if you did no one would kick you off the dance floor. Her mum also played a lot of Merengue and Bachata music growing up at home and of course there are dances that go along with those. Merengue is pretty much the essence of being Dominican and her mamá's culture was very important in their household growing up.
weaknesses
DOES NOT TRUST PEOPLE △ Look, her past is a little complicated. Went all the way back to her Hogwarts days where she lost her virginity to someone that was just trying to ruin her relationship with his ex. It wasn’t too difficult to put together those dots. It made it hard enough for her to trust people and had her mostly focusing on her work the past decade or so, with only a few relationships in between. And then more recently, she was cheated on, and that just really solidified to her that she can’t trust people.
RELATIONSHIP ISSUES △ Okay, it ties in with the last one, but it needs its own separate one. In general, she doesn’t get close with people and for the most part this does mean friendships too. She is the type of person that keeps next to everyone at arm’s length.
QUIET UNTIL YOU GET TO KNOW HER △ She doesn't know why this is a bad thing, but here I am, putting it here anyway. Even though she is loud and vivacious with her family (especially her mamá's side), she is definitely more reserved in public settings and around strangers/acquaintances. She opens up when you get to know her better, but yes, definitely quiet at first, that counts as a weakness, okay?
HER INJURY △ Having to officially make the decision to retire from the field was one of the hardest things that she has had to do. Getting hurt and being a dragonologist is kind of synonymous, it's just something that happens sometimes. But she never thought that she'd get hurt enough that she'd have to give it up entirely. It definitely gets to her, no matter how much she enjoys teaching. It is just in no way the same as the rush of being up close and personal with dragons. She still is, to an extent, but definitely not in the same way that she had been before.
HER FATHER'S SIDE OF THE FAMILY △ Her father is a Prewett and while he wasn't disowned for marrying a halfblood, he was disinherited and they have very little contact with his side of the family. Most of them are indifferent about her at best, so she really only has a relationship with her mamá's side of the family. Obviously she loves them, but she still has mixed feelings about the whole other part of her family that she barely knows. It's complicated, okay?
positive traits
ACTIVE ADVENTUROUS CALM FOCUSED ORGANIZED 
negative traits
PRIVATE RECKLESS RESERVED SENSITIVE UNTRUSTING 
hobbies/interests
HANGING OUT WITH DRAGONS TEACHING PEOPLE ABOUT DRAGONS READING ABOUT DRAGONS SPEAKING TO DRAGONS Wow, Gwen, do you like dragons enough?  GARDENING HERBOLOGY DRINKING SINGLE-MALT WHISKEY 
accomplishments
She learned how to speak Solomonarian, which is relatively impressive.
Had a successful career as a Dragonologist, working in reserves in Oman, Romania, Hungary, Sweden, and New Zealand.

character history
“It’s only right that I tell this part, and there’s obviously not better place to start than at the beginning.

I was born to Altair and Dahiana Prewett, in Samaná, in the Dominican Republic. Yes, that was where I was technically born. Even though my mamá decided to move to England when my dad proposed, we still spent a lot of time on the island — after I was born obviously, but also while she was pregnant.

After all, my dad’s side of the family effectively cut him off when he married a halfblood. He wasn’t disowned, nothing that dramatic, but disinherited and practically ignored doesn’t end up being much different, now does it? They had never approved of the relationship — they had always known about it. It’s a little hard to hide international trips while they were dating, but maybe they thought it was just a phase. I don’t know.

The fact of the matter is, we have never had much contact with his side of the family. There are some people that are more open-minded, some cousins that he still speaks to, but even those relationships are a little strained. Or at least, they are compared to the relationship we have with my mamá’s side of the family.

That is why I was born there. My mamá wanted support around her and that was not something that she was going to get in England.

So honestly, for the first years of my life, I was there. My father went to and from as much as he could with work, but I was there for a good couple of years or so before we decided to try to stay more in the United Kingdom. My mamá didn’t think it was far to my dad that he either had to travel internationally for work or be away from his family, so we were back in England by my third birthday.

Even if we didn’t have much contact with my dad’s side of the family, I never felt alone in England with my family around. We lived in London, which is quite a bit different than Samaná and took my mamá some getting used to. I missed hearing Merengue music on the streets, but we adjusted.

Over the years, my parents brought four more children into the world. My mamá was always used to big families in the Dominican Republic so that is really of no surprise. But every single time, when she got to a certain point in her pregnancy, she would pack up and go back home for a while. Some people might think that’s not all that healthy but my parents’ relationships was long distance for years, surviving on love letters and trips when they could make it to each other.

And I think my dad understood that she wanted her family around when she had a baby, that she wanted the support that he knew his family wasn’t getting her in England.

When my brother came around, I was seven, so I went with my mamá and we spent a year or so there, and when my next brother came, I was ten. Once again, I went with her, with the promise that I would be back in time to get my Hogwarts letter on my eleventh birthday.

Obviously, once that happened, I was not able to go on trips with my mamá to Samaná every time a baby was on the way. Instead, I went to Hogwarts.

But I was ready for that kind of adventure too. I was sorted into Ravenclaw — it was that or Gryffindor, really, and I ended up in the same house that my father had been in when he was at school. I was always quiet in England. I can’t really put my finger on why… maybe I just never fully felt comfortable there the way I did back in Samaná.

So, coming out of my shell at Hogwarts wasn’t an easy thing for me. There were some housemates that I was close with, some people in my classes that I got along with, but i wasn’t the loud and outgoing person that I was with my family at home and back in the Dominican Republic.

Of course, my first year at Hogwarts was… well, it was at the height of Voldemort’s reign, and the Headmaster was Snape, and there were Death Eaters teaching classes. It was hardly a good time to start at the school, and maybe that had something to do with it as well.

That year did end, though, and we could all focus on rebuilding. The rest of my years were not all that eventful compared to that first one. At least, until I met @kingarthur .

He was two school years ahead of me, though that was more due to my inconvenient birthday than anything else, and he was the first person at Hogwarts that I felt like I could be a fraction of myself around. I still wasn’t as loud or as vivacious as I was around my family. Those were difficult walls to break down, but I was still comfortable around him in ways that I wasn’t with other people.

Until one party, where another older boy was paying me some attention. I don’t know what came over me that night. Maybe it was the drinking. Maybe it was the fact that I had never felt truly accepted in the United Kingdom, but I ended up in bed with him.

Hell of a first time, right?

It didn’t take too long to put together those pieces. Maybe drunk I hadn’t recognized him, but when I was sober, I remembered seeing him around Arthur the year before. I remember abruptly not seeing them around each other. It made sense. He hadn’t been interested in me at all — I’m talking at all. He had been interested in ruining my relationship with Arthur because he was jealous.

But I couldn’t put all of the blame on him. I might have been drunk and a little naïve, but it takes two to tango, and I felt awful about breaking Arthur’s heart that way. The look on his face — I suppose to this day I don’t know if that was because he saw me with him, or him with me. I except I might have been a bit of a rebound, but well… that’s neither here nor there at this point.

Eventually, they both graduated and I could breathe again. I focused back on my studies. After I graduated, I went to Lig-Na-Paiste for dragonology, a fact that would likely surprise most of my classmates. I was so quiet in school, I don’t think anyone had any idea what I would do after graduation but they certainly would not have expected anything to do with dragons.

After graduation, I started traveling. That was the best part of the work. Part of me had never felt truly at home in the United Kingdom, and I was able to work in reserves in Oman, Romania, Hungary, Sweden, and New Zealand and, of course, I was able to go visit the Dominican Republic far more often.

Throughout the years, I have dated… rarely. I suppose the first go-around put a bad taste in my mouth, in more ways than one. I don’t really see what the fuss is all about when it comes to intimate relationships, but maybe I just have bad luck or bad karma where that is involved. Who knows?

Anyway — most recently, I was working in New Zealand and also in the most serious relationship that I’d been in, in a while. This was last year. Being out of the country for the Death Eater regime was an added benefit to my work. I had been in New Zealand for nearly two years, and had been dating Oscar for half of that time.

Until I walked in on him in bed with another dragonologist from the reserve.

Shoe on the other foot, am I right?

Anyway, I walked right back out again, and went back to work the next day. He was there too, of course I had to get involved with someone that I worked with because there’s a shiny example of good decision making. He kept trying to talk to me, I kept brushing him off, and eventually was called out to try to find an injured Opaleye. That was when I got hurt. Severe burns to my back and guess who found me?

Oscar. Of course he did. I have to be grateful to him for that because the injuries could have been a lot worse if I didn’t get help when I did, but… well, I couldn’t get the image of him and that blonde out of my mind. It didn’t help that he was near constantly at my bedside during my recovery and did I send him away? Nope. I didn’t. Another great decision there.

In the end, I was holed up in a hospital for the better part of a moth and then the healers told me that there was no chance I could work as a dragonologist again, not in the field anyway. The nerve damage done by the burns put me at too much of a risk.

And with that, I packed up my bags and moved back to Samaná. Didn’t tell Oscar I was leaving, which took some restraint, thank you very much. I spent some time with my family there, to try to figure out what I was going to do, and then I came back here. I started working at the same university I had attended and… well, here we are."

parents
Altair Prewett - pureblood, sixty-eight years old, Ravenclaw Alum, Head of the Child Protective Services Office
Dahiana Prewett (née Campos) - halfblood, sixty-two years old, Astronomer, Guest Lecturer at Lufkin University
siblings
Hasiel Prewett - halfblood, twenty-five years old, Gryffindor Alum, Music Teacher at Peverell Children's Academy
 Caspian Prewett - halfblood, twenty-two years old, Gryffindor Alum, Columnist at Hazard
 Reinildis Prewett - halfblood, nineteen years old, Ravenclaw Alum, Second Year Wandmaking Student at Lufkin University
Juliet Prewett - halfblood, sixteen years old, Sixth Year Ravenclaw Student
children
-
partner
-
other family
family history
Altair Prewett, son of Ignatius Prewett and Lucretia Prewett (née Black), was raised to be a proper pureblood. He was the third son, born after two brothers who certainly took their responsibilities seriously. Altair, though? Not so much… but we will get into that.

The Prewetts are a Sacred Twenty-Eight family, lest we forget, and Ignatius had always been proud of this fact. The eldest son of the inheriting line, Ignatius took his name very seriously--unlike his insolent little brother, Gawain. Always off galavanting and doing only Merlin knows what. Surprised no one that said little brother married an Abbot and had three blood traitor children--which is why this tale is about Ignatius. He went to Hogwarts, where he was sorted into Slytherin, and did the Prewett name quite proud, thank you very much. Lucretia's parents, the Lord Arcturus and Lady Melania, hadn't even considered a Prewett match--much too grey, and Gawain’s indiscretions had done a number on their reputation--until Ignatius had proven himself as worthy as the purity running through his veins. As expected, Gawain was disinherited. Feliciana, their younger sister, married into the Crabbe family. And Ignatius--he married Lucretia Black.

The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black is renowned among purebloods. One of the oldest, strictest, most pure families among the Sacred Twenty-Eight, the Blacks make sure to not make any silly connections. Always the purest and the most proper. Lucretia's father was the reigning Lord Black, after all, and his son--her brother--would soon take on that mantle... already betrothed to their second cousin, Walburga. Still, Lucretia was the daughter of an heir. Only the most proper would do. Only another heir, and one that knew exactly how to carry himself. Ignatius, for all of his brother's whims and fantasies, proved himself worthy. They were betrothed when Lucretia had been young and married as soon as she had finished school.

The Campos family has lived in Samaná for generations — as long as anyone can remember, really. The town of Samaná is on the northeastern shore of the Dominican Republic. Like many places in the Dominican Republic, it’s a bit of a tourist destination but not as much as some of the other towns. It was a good place for the family to settle.

Magic had been in their blood for years, with all of the family mostly being homeschooled but occasionally going to the island’s day school based on the parents’ preference. Their family has always been a large one, living close together and spending as much time together as possible.

Dahiana had never thought much about life outside of Samaná. Life was good there. But she was in her early twenties when she met Altair. He was there with some of his friends for vacation (yes, Prewetts can vacation in the Dominican Republic, okay). He was out on the street one night for a festival when he saw Dahiana dancing and that, like they said, was history.

He went back to the United Kingdom, she stayed in Samaná and they kept in contact by letters for many years, actually, before she made a trip to the United Kingdom. Then he took another trip back to Samaná and that process went back and forth for the first seven years of their relationship, until Altair proposed on a trip to Samaná.

She said yes, of course, and it was only then that she made the decision to move to England.

The decision to marry Dahiana — a halfblood, was enough to get Altair disinherited and for most of his family to want nothing to do with them, but really, they have always been fine just the three of them. Not always easy, and sometimes it is definitely tempting to move back to Samanà, but to this point, it’s been Altair’s job and but also him wanting Gwen to go to Hogwarts that has continued to keep them in the United Kingdom. Now, with the epidemic, there are clearly other reasons that they have to stay.

other
-
face claim
Nathalie Emmanuel
status of application
complete
have you read the rules?
I skimmed them, at least.
how did you hear about us?
A dragon wrote a message in a billow of fire
roleplay sample

Admin Morgan