Halfblood
sexual orientation
Homosexual
epidemic x status
Unimpacted!
occupation
6th Year Ravenclaw Students at Hogwarts
general appearance
Oliver Shacklebolt is shorter than Bryan by five inches. While his older brother stands at an impressive 6'1", Ollie is only about 5'8". It's possible that he'll hit a growth spurt over the summer, but he's not counting on it. ("Honestly, I don't even have my hopes up...it's not going to happen...") After all, he's spent his entire life being mediocre...why should his height be anything special? Oliver isn't exactly the athletic, Quidditch type like many of the members of his family and extended family. Not overly muscled, he's thin and bony and you can see his rib cage if he inhales too quickly. His smile is probably the most impressive thing about him - and sometimes, people are hard-pressed to get him to grin. He has a slightly lopsided grin and really great teeth, though he's never had braces. Chocolate brown eyes favor his father's genes, though he has his mother's lips. Oliver is the perfect blend of his mother and father, really, though he tends to ignore that his parents are incredibly attractive and only pick out the negatives when he's describing himself.

former school
Hogwarts
former house
Ravenclaw
achievements
✎ Art Club: Member, 2013-Present
✎ Yearbook Club: Member, 2013-Present
✎ Constantly living in his father's, mother's, and brother's shadow: 2013-Present

university
N/A
university major(s)
N/A
years attended
N/A

skills
✎ ART: Oliver has always been interested in art as a subject. When he was younger, he told his parents that he wanted to be a painter when he grew up and that sentiment has not changed over the years. Particularly skilled with oil-based paints on canvas, Oliver prefers to paint over any other medium. He's quite good at doing portraits and has a few on display in the Ravenclaw Common Room that he's particularly proud of. As horrible as it sounds, this is the one aspect of his life that he doesn't feel mediocre at...however, he somehow feels it an unworthy talent. It's not dueling or Law or Quidditch. It's just...art.

✎ INTELLIGENCE: There was a reason that he was sorted into Ravenclaw and has inherited intelligence from both his mother and his father. He's actually quite smart, though Oliver suffers from an inferiority complex and will often hide under a guise of unintelligence to not draw attention to himself. People often wonder if he's just shy or dumb, when in reality, he's smarter than most of the students in his year.

✎ HISTORY: Directly correlated to spending time with his mother in Flourish and Blotts, Oliver has a knack for remembering obscure ideas, events, and ideologies that span through both Muggle and Magical History.

✎ PHOTOGRAPHY: In the same vein of his love for art lies his love of photography. Oliver likes taking pictures of people and finds that they are pathways to the soul, in a way. He especially loves the moving pictures of the Wizarding World because they provide a glimpse into a time in his life. He likes to document important events through photography and keeps a scrapbook of photographs in his trunk at the end of his bed.

✎ GETTING CAUGHT UP IN A GOOD BOOK: Oliver loves to read. As a child, his parents read books to him before bed, sparking a love for learning and creativity. Growing up, that same love for the written word has persevered. He'll pick up just about anything and try it once, but Oliver particularly likes non-fiction books about famous Astronomers and Alchemists throughout Wizarding History.

✎ CARE OF MAGICAL CREATURES: Oliver is actually terrified of magical creatures. It's the reason that he's doing so poorly in the class...but there's something about his mannerisms that instantly draw the animals towards him. He's really not sure if this is a skill, but once a Niffler sniffed out his favorite paintbrush and ended up staying on his shoulder for twenty minutes during class. This was the one Care of Magical Creatures experience that did not cause him to scream.
weaknesses
✎ SELF-DEPRICATION: I don't know what it is about Oliver, but he constantly feels the need to tear himself down. He's a bit of a sour puss, sometimes, and doesn't ever feel like he's doing things that will make his family proud of him. He feels like he's living in the shadow of his mother, father, and brother. Yes, he loves them more than anything, but carrying the Shacklebolt name is a lot of weight on his young, bony shoulders.

✎ MEDIOCRITY: Oliver thinks that he's living his life in mediocrity. After all, he doesn't do Quidditch and hasn't joined the Dueling Club and hardly even knows his way around offensive magic to save his life... Sometimes he wonders if he was accidentally born to the wrong family. Because there's no way that the son of a Shacklebolt or a Parr could be so...mediocre, right?

✎ QUIDDITCH: Oliver was never overly interested in Quidditch as a sport. Yes, naturally, he liked looking at some of the men on the National Team, ("There's just something about a good-fitting Quidditch Uniform...") but beyond that, he wasn't interested in playing or learning the rules like Bryan was. He's proud of his older brother now that he was drafted as a Reserve for the Falcons, but during games, he's the first to ask his mother or father how the game actually works.

✎ BRAVERY: There was a reason that Oliver wasn't sorted into Gryffindor. He's always thought himself more a Hufflepuff...happy with the status quo, unwilling to break off and do something to rock the boat...but he knew he was never going to be a Gryffindor. He's a little cowardly sometimes...afraid to show his true colors to his classmates and sometimes struggling with his sexuality. It's clear that he's different from the rest of the Shacklebolts and he knows they'll love him no matter what, but it doesn't make him feel lion-hearted.

✎ HIS FAMILY: Although the expectations of being a Shacklebolt weigh heavily on young Oliver, he would do anything in the world for his family. He's particularly protective over young Josie, who is in her second year at Hogwarts, though she's proven to be quite the formidable young student.
positive traits
ARTISTIC CARING CLEVER CONTEMPLATIVE DEDICATED DUTIFUL EMPATHETIC FORGIVING FREETHINKING FRIENDLY GENTLE GOOD-NATURED IDEALISTIC IMAGINITIVE INTELLIGENT LOYAL PERFECTIONIST PROTECTIVE RESPECTFUL SENSITIVE STUDIOUS SWEET WELL-READ WHIMISCAL
negative traits
ANXIOUS BRITTLE CAUTIOUS COMPLEX CONFORMIST COWARDLY DELICATE DISCOURAGED DISTRACTED FEARFUL FORGETFUL GLOOMY HESITANT INDECISIVE INHIBITED MOODY ORDINARY PESSIMISTIC REACTIVE SELF-CRITICAL SHY STUBBORN TIMID VULNERABLE WEAK
hobbies/interests
Painting Photography Spending quality time with @octavian Sneaking off to the towers to paint landscapes from high up above ("Best view of the Black Lake you'll find!") Avoiding talking about Quidditch, Sports, or anything of the like Going to Art Club meetings Working on the Yearbook - this year he's taken a lot of pictures he hopes will make it into the final product Reading a good non-fiction book in the quiet of the library Spending time outside Learning something new Keeping a journal of everything important he has to do so he won't forget He doesn't really like parties, but he'll go if his housemates (or Octi) convince him Spending time with Professor Ndismo's Nifflers Volunteering to shelve books at the library Astronomy and analyzing astrological signs and reading horoscopes Spending time with his little sister Josie
accomplishments
Hasn't died of embarrassment, yet
Teachers have sort of stopped accidentally calling him Bryan...kind of.

character history
Hi, hi, yeah, I know you probably already know this, but it's me, Oliver...Ollie, if you want, I don't really mind either way.

You probably know my dad: Kingsley - he was Minister of Magic for a little while. Or maybe even you know my mum, Oralee? She teaches. Hell of a professor, too. No, no, wait, you probably know Bryan, don't you? Bryan Shacklebolt, Number One Law Student and Reserve Chaser for the Falmouth Falcons...oh, oh and Order of the Phoenix. Probably soon to be Order of Merlin First Class or something. But you probably know him...better than you'd know me.

I'm just...Oliver.

Mum and Dad's second kid. The...unaccomplished Ravenclaw Sixth Year.

I was born at a difficult time in Wizarding History. Weirdly enough, we've been between a rock and a hard place since then. Figuring out what to do with all the Death Eaters and the killers and the murderers and...

Well, let's just say that it hasn't been easy for anyone.

I was five when Dad was ousted from office and Durant was raised up to power. I didn't understand what it meant at the time, but now that I'm a little older, I get it. They called him insane. Said that he was unfit to lead the Wizarding World. And who did they put up in his stead? A puppet. A flaccid little...

Ahem. The only good thing to come out of all of that was Mum banging Flourish and Blotts in Diagon. It became my happy place - my safe place - for so many years. I would spend hours on the second-floor landing, reading books about faraway places or painting the cityscape below me.

But the Death Eaters ruined that, too, when they decided to nearly sever my mum's arm in an attack, didn't they?

I'm getting ahead of myself...sorry. I was eleven when I got my Hogwarts letter. I knew I wasn't a Gryffindor like Mum or Bryan. And to be honest, I sort of felt like I was better suited for Hufflepuff. They were the sort that didn't get into trouble...they didn't boast grades that were out of this world. They were just sort of...average.

But the Hat apparently had different ideas about where I was supposed to go. He shouted Ravenclaw and much to my surprise, the brains of Hogwarts all stood up for coordinated applause to welcome me to the table. It was...weird.

Truth be told, I wasn't sure that I fit in there. Academics, the lot of them, but I preferred to channel my intelligence in a different way. Painting and visual expression - photography and the like. Growing up, I guess I was taught that being different was a good thing, but there's always been so much pressure to be like Bryan...to be like Mum and Dad.

But I was happy, for what it was worth. Being in a different house than Bryant made it easier in a way. Yes, people compared us all the time, but at least it wasn't a direct comparison. It wasn't Well, when Bryan was in Ravenclaw...

There was never a dull moment a school. The fire that caught all the pureblood on fire, the news of the Diagon Alley Attack, the Death Eaters taking over our school...it was...hard. Weird, even. But I wanted to stay - I wanted mum and dad to be proud of me. Because in the face of everything, I'd never seen them give up... Except on their marriage, but we don't really need to talk about that now, do we...?

Sorry, I just...Well, I guess I see myself as a little bit of an underachiever. My grades are average, my test scores mediocre. I'm not a Prefect or a Quidditch player. I'm just...Oliver. Just Oliver Shacklebolt...trying to figure out how I drew all the mediocrity in my family. Just a gift, I guess... Just a gift.

parents
Mother: @oralee - 48, halfblood, Gryffindor alum, Gráinneog Institute Professor of History, Magical Historian, Author, Order of the Phoenix, Coolest Mum About
Father: - 54, pureblood, Ravenclaw alum, Dean of Lufkin University, Vice President of The Rising Phoenix Project, Attorney, Author, Order of the Phoenix, #1 Dad
siblings
Older Brother: @bryan - 18, halfblood, 1st year Law Student at Grainneog Institute, Reserve Chaser for the Falmouth Falcons, Order of the Phoenix
Younger Sister: @josephine - 12, halfblood, 2nd year Ravenclaw student
Younger Sister: Audrey Parr Shacklebolt - 5, halfblood
children
NO
partner
"Er..."
other family
(All my love to Celestina for this bit:)

Aunt: @camilla - pureblood, age 56, Hufflepuff alum
Uncle: @avery - halfblood, age 59, Horned Serpent alum
Cousin: @ziggy - halfblood, age 27, Ravenclaw alum
Cousin: @emilia - halfblood, age 23, Ravenclaw alum
Cousin: - halfblood, age 21, Slytherin alum

Uncle: Christopher Shacklebolt - pureblood, age 52, Slytherin alum
Aunt: @zahra - halfblood, age 52, Uzoefu alum
Cousin: @keegan - halfblood, age 26, Slytherin alum
Cousin: @audrey - halfblood, age 22, Slytherin alum

Aunt: Anne Marie Seymour (née Parr) - halfblood, age 55, Gryffindor alum
Uncle: Charles Seymour - halfblood, age 57, Hufflepuff alum
Cousin: Cassandra Seymour - halfblood, age 23, Gryffindor alum

Uncle: Oliver Parr - halfblood, deceased

His paternal grandparents are Ackerley Shacklebolt and Charlize Shacklebolt (née Lowe). His maternal grandparents are Thomas Parr and Vanessa Parr (née Edwards).

Through his grand aunt and uncle, Samira Johnson (née Shacklebolt) and Arlo Johnson, he is first cousins once removed with Hartley Johnson, @angelina , and Roxanne Johnson; and second cousins with Emery Johnson, Matthew Johnson, Fred Weasley, and @roxanne .

Through his grand aunt and uncle, Lavinia Shacklebolt (née Kama) and Caspian Shacklebolt, he is first cousins once removed with Isadora Fawley (née Shacklebolt); and second cousins with , Sidonia Fawley, Alisdair Fawley, and Morrigan Fawley.

Through his grand aunt and uncle, Juliette Buchanan (née Shacklebolt) and Pierce Buchanan, he is first cousins once removed with , @wendy , @liza (née Buchanan), and Kyle Buchanan; and second cousins with @vivien , @olivette , Zephyrus Buchanan, Perseus Buchanan, Wednesday Buchanan, Helena Reese, James Proctor, Dante Proctor, Avery Proctor, Oberon Buchanan, and Ophelia Buchanan.
family history
Stolen from Oliver's Family...

Shacklebolt-Lowe Family History:

Ackerley Shacklebolt was born in London, England, the oldest of four children, the other three being Samira, Caspian, and Juliette. They were a pureblood family, based in England for the last couple of centuries, but originally hailing from the Caribbean. They had been pureblood even well before their arrival to England, the name heavily entrenched in the tribal magic of the seas, although those traditions were watered down upon the move to the Isles. Pureblood tradition was not on their minds, though. Not as much as the need to go above and beyond, to become outstanding members of the magical society, and to be fair and ambitious. Most Shacklebolts are Ravenclaws, although you're sure to find some ambitious Slytherins in the mix. Ackereley, himself, attended Hogwarts as a Ravenclaw, after which he decided to become an Auror and worked for the British Ministry of Magic for most of his life, until retiring to the Wizengamot at the age of 70.

Charlize Lowe was born and raised in the Scottish Highlands, the second of four children, the other three being Sinistra, Dakarai, and Pilirani. The Lowes had been in Scotland for some time, but this particular branch was first recorded as early settlers in parts of Africa, who quickly became enveloped in the pureblood magical families of the region. They moved to their Scottish homeland just a couple centuries ago, at which point most of their heritage had become Malian. The Lowes were definitely more strict when it came to blood purity, but they were more concerned with the preservation of magical tradition than blood. Still, Charlize's older sister, Sinistra, took this to extremes with her infamous published opinions on blood purity. Charlize, herself, attended Hogwarts as a Slytherin, like her three siblings and excelled in Alchemy and Potions. She pursued her passion for Alchemy at the University of Bangor and became a renowned Alchemist.

Charlize and Ackerley met at school and started dating at just fifteen years old. It had never been anyone else for either of them, and they were more than happy together. They were married at 20, and welcomed Camilla into the world 2 years after that. 2 years later came Kingsley, and then after another 2 years, Christopher.

Parr-Edwards Family History:

The Parr family is descended from the same centuries old line that Catherine Parr, sixth wife of Henry VIII, Queen of England and Ireland was a part of. The line started muggle, but over the centuries there were enough magical members born that now the Parr family is made almost exclusively of halfbloods.

Thomas Parr met Vanessa Edwards while they were at Hogwarts. Thomas was a Gryffindor, and Vanessa a Ravenclaw. Together the two were an incredible pair. They were brilliant and working together they were unstoppable. Creating their own dynasty they are well known in both the magical and mainly the muggle world, as world renowned art collectors and scholars.

Their three children were all incredibly smart, getting their mother’s brains and their father’s courage the three young Parr’s were the all sorted into Gryffindor and it was there that they succeeded.

other
I said I wouldn't make another character unless his name was Olivef.
face claim
Roshon Fegan
status of application
complete
have you read the rules?
NO
how did you hear about us?
HOWLER AT MIDNIGHT
roleplay sample

Admin Morgan
Admin Morgan Avatar
staff