If our love is a tragedy, why are you my remedy?

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jan 17, 2019 0:48:01 GMT -5

Lucius Abraxas Malfoy
by Jade
birthday
blood status
Pureblood
sexual orientation
Heterosexual
epidemic x status
Immune
occupation
Member of the Wizengamot
Head of the Department of the Treasury
general appearance
Aryan carries such a negative connotation, but the term describes Lucius Malfoy well. Tall, fair skinned, blond hair, the man looks as German and Icelandic as both his parents and ancestors. They are a clan unfettered by the cold. 

Sharp aristocratic features seem made for snide glances and airs of judgment. Prejudices against those of lower socio-economic status radiate off Lucius in how he carries himself. Head high-shoulders back--glaring that sharp nose at you, all who lay eyes on him know he is a man of fine breeding. More of this is a façade now than had been the case when he was younger---before the occupation of the Manor, before Azkaban, before the work camp. But he knows the value of appearance, so even when he might feel weak or unsure, he seeks to project strength and certainty. It is not easily done always. Especially that since when he came back from the work camp, he returned to the Manor alone. 

former school
Hogwarts
former house
Slytherin
achievements
Prefect, 5th-7th

university
Lufkin
university major(s)
Economics
years attended
1972-1976

skills
ATTENTION TO DETAIL ♔ Lucius is without a doubt meticulous. Pouring over financial records for hours on end is no bother to him. He has a way of seeing patterns and recognizing anomalies in the numbers. He is actually quite well suited for his position in the Department of Economics. It was a job he held before this most recent purist power shift. He served as Head for Kingsley Shacklebolt and Cornelius Fudge. Obviously, Durant ousted him. 

BITTERNESS ♔ If you are uncertain how this could be a skill, your life must resemble Lucius's before the 1990s. The man has been mistreated by those he deemed friends--allies--those he had known all his life. He failed Voldemort, yes, but others marked and masked failed him. The treatment of his wife--the occupation of his house...it all served to teach Lucius that none can be trusted and everyone is truly out for themselves. Self-preservation may well be a defining Slytherin trait, but he believed, especially in his youth, in work for a greater good, in preserving the purist lifestyle and culture against outside influences and dangers. He believed that was what they fought for in the the first Wizarding War.

CLASS ♔ High-breeding is a state of being, but class is learned and lived.

DANCING ♔ Ballroom, of course. 

EGO ♔ Even with the damage wrought against him by Voldemort's occupation of the Manor, Azkaban, and the work camp, Lucius knows the importance of portraying the ego he was known for. He has had a number of identity crisis over his life, but they are private. The details of them are known to a very select few, if any. Only his wife, and only to a certain degree, he hides the severity of this even from her.

FISCAL MANAGEMENT ♔ Lucius knows how to make and execute economic policy. He is truly the most qualified person in the country to have his job. But even that expertise is not enough to save the Galleon from the impacts of Epidemic X and the state of emergency, he works tirelessly though, to stabilize the economic environment in the country. Working eighteen hour days helps him avoid the empty manor and the fact his son hates him and his wife left him. 
weaknesses
GUILT-RIDDEN ♔ Lucius blames himself for everything that happened to Narcissa. He cannot fathom she can ever forgive him for failing her. He was meant to be a protector to her and to their son, but it was she that forced Severus into that Unbreakable Vow. He failed as the protector and provider for his family---and losing them is the cost of that. 

HAUGHTY ♔ Even after everything, Lucius is still an arrogant prat. He still believes in blood superiority. He still believes that he deserves the finest things in life. He still insists that everything he wears is tailored to him. Even after all life has put him through, he still finds a way to be a rich asshole. 

IGNORANT ♔ Lucius is well-educated, but he still believes in blood superiority. He still believes that his heritage makes him better than muggleborns. He still believes that they are a danger to themselves and others. 

JEALOUSY ♔ Anyone that has something that he doesn't, he resents. Anyone with a happy marriage, obviously. Anyone who seems to have more power than him. Anyone who seems to be more in control of their life than he is of his... He is control obsessed. He always has been, but since Voldemort took over his home and Death Eaters sinned against his wife and his marriage, he has been consumed by the need to exact control over his life. It's maddening. 

KNOWN ♔ Lucius has quite the reputation. It is burden sometimes to carry it. He must always be mindful when in public, so he tends to stay in. Avoiding public scrutiny was easier when his wife was with him. Now that she has gone to Scotland, now that he is alone, he is unable to go to dinner, to socialize, because to do so would publicize the state of his marriage. So, he works and he stays home. He goes to Narcissa when they are expected at social gatherings...otherwise, his existence is a solitary one. 

LONELY ♔ He has made his bed, but it is a cold one lie in. 

MANIPULATIVE ♔ Really no surprise here. This reputation proceeds him...and honestly, it is a key element of what makes him good at his job.

NEUROTIC ♔ You see how these traits lists are alphabetical. This is only a small tip of the iceberg. Everything has a place. It must be in its place. He is a very particular.  

OBSESSIVE ♔ While Lucius has not been treated or seen by a psychiatrist, it is not hard to notice that the man suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder. He checks the wards multiple times before bed. He uses three different products to feel adequately clean. His morning routine must be as it is or his off-kilter. The severity of his need to comply with these patterns of behavior spikes after losses of control.  

PRIDE ♔ He is too damn proud for his own good. He cannot find words to apologize for the wrongs he has done. 

QUIXOTIC ♔ Lucius believes in the purist ideals. He believes they can build this world to be more than it ever was. He thinks that if society can be set to right, then his life can set to right. He pours effort into all the wrong things in this pursuit of happiness that he will never reach.

RUTHLESS ♔ Dump a charmed diary in the things of an eleven year old girl? Why not? Lucius will do anything at all if he believes it serves his end. There is no bridge too far, no evil too heinous. He has very little conscience in respect to how his actions might impact others. 

SADNESS ♔ Lucius is very sad. He does not know how to reconcile the feelings of self-hate and superiority inside himself. He does not know how to process the fact that his wife left him and moved to a different country. He does not know how to reach his son. He wanted to be a good father and husband. He tried to do the things that his own father had taught were the responsibility of a purist wizard--but all he did was fail...
positive traits
AMBITIOUS ♔ BRILLIANT ♔ CALCULATING ♔ CAREFUL ♔ CONTROLLING (this can be positive in relation to work) ♔ DILIGENT ♔ DRIVEN ♔ EDUCATED ♔ EFFICIENT ♔ ELEGANT ♔ ELOQUENT ♔  FOCUSED ♔ ORGANIZED ♔ PATIENT ♔ PERSUASIVE ♔ PROCEDURAL 
negative traits
ARROGANCE ♔ BITTERNESS ♔ COMMUNICATION (utter inability to do so) ♔ COMPETITIVE ♔ CONTROLLING ♔ COLD ♔ DEVIOUS ♔ DISHONEST ♔ EGOTISTICAL ♔ METICULOUS ♔ TACTLESS (can be) ♔ TIRED (he runs on pepper up potions) ♔ UNCOOPERATIVE ♔ UNAPPROACHABLE 
hobbies/interests
Art collecting ♔ Dark artifact collecting ♔ Wine collecting ♔ Financial market analyzation ♔ Conflict avoidance ♔ Lying to himself 
accomplishments
Published fourteen times in peer reviewed economic journals

character history
My birth was induced on the Winter Solstice in 1954. Abraxas had used fertility potions and blood magic to ensure my mother became impregnated on the Spring Equinox of that year. He believed I would be the best version of myself if I could be created and brought into the world on these days. There were expectations upon me, of course. My father was a firm believer in maintaining the wealth of the family. He wanted only one heir. One son--no other children at all. There was much anxiety in the house until my first display of magic. The man would have had me killed if I had proved to be a squib and Mother would have been forced to conceive another child. 

She would never speak of it--but I believe I was not the first born to her. Daughters were not welcome in the house though. Some midwife might have tried to hide a babe knowing the way of my father, but he was wise to such ploys. He delivered me--and any other children my mother ever had. If they were others, they are no more. I am the sole child of Abraxas and Oksandra Malfoy. 

Childhood was as you would expect. We were incredibly wealthy. I was taught that finance and coin was the family business. My father was friends with a man known as Tom Riddle. I knew him all my life. I marveled at his power as a child. It was apparent. When you stood in his presence, it radiated from him. Though blood superiority was preached in the Malfoy household, Tom Riddle was never scorned or show even the smallest amount of hostility. He was admired by my father and my father's friends. He was a Gaunt, really, in their eyes. Abraxas easily overlooked the fact his friend's father had been a muggle. The Malfoys were known for brushing over questionable heritages over the years. 

I was still taught to look down on the mudbloods and the muggle animals, of course. It was a lesson learned easily enough. A man enjoys believing in his own superiority. Sheltered from the muggle world, I grew up knowing on wizarding ways. We were not only of the most prestigious bloodlines, we were filthy rich. House elves took care of everything. I never saw my mother perform even one cleaning or cooking charm. Had I not seen her apparate, I might have even questioned she possessed magic. Her personal elf did everything for her--glamours, clothing transfiguration, hair charms. Anything at all that the woman needed was obliged her. 

Abraxas was rarely home. He was a man involved in much business abroad. In time, I learned he was involved with the Dark Lord in establishing alliances and the like. There were the mistresses, too--he kept one in most major cities in Europe, preferring their company to that of his wife. This was never a habit I picked up from the man. There has been but one woman to share my bed. 

When time came for me to go to Hogwarts, there was considerable disappointment from my father that I had not managed to be accepted at the Scholomance. It wasn't as if he had been either... But I knew better than to mention that. Besides, the Dark Lord wanted his followers to educate their children at Hogwarts. It was no surprise that the Sorting Hat sent me to Slytherin. That was all that made sense. There was a flash of consideration of Ravenclaw, but the thing knew better than to send me anywhere besides the dungeons. That was where I belonged--among like minded wizards and witches who shared the same noble heritage as I did. 

School was so long ago. It really seems immaterial now. Those years were adequate. I excelled, of course. I earned only Outstandings on my OWLs and NEWTs. Anything less would have been unacceptable to my father. I did not do anything that would disappoint or upset that man. He raised me to honor him in all things--and I did. I dedicated myself to the mastery of magic and to living as the embodiment of a proper purist wizard. It should be no surprise that I was Slytherin prefect my last three years. 

The war was already on by the time I graduated Hogwarts. My marking and masking into the Dark Lord's Death Eaters came right away. Abraxas had been one of his Knights after the Dark Lord left Hogwarts. I had been groomed to join this army since my very birth. There was no other path that was ever plausible for me. Though appearances were to be maintained, so while my father and the other Knights trained me in the Dark Arts, I also studied Economics at Lufkin University. I was always far better at the latter than the former, much to my father's annoyance. 

There was an arrangement made for me to marry Narcissa Black. I would have wed her without the betrothal mandate. She had captured my heart and my devotion as soon as I shifted from child to man. There has never been another woman as enticing or exquisite as my wife. If I had not known better, I would have sworn she was a veela--she captured my mind, soul, and magic.

Sins had been committed against her. She was not pure of body when she became mine that first time, but that was immaterial. I loved her. I do love her. And I was to save her. I was to be her knight in shining armor--and what pride I found in that role. It was the manifestation of my nobility. No man has ever been more pleased with himself or with his life than I was on my wedding day.

So far as I could see, life could not have been better than it was in the late seventies. Narcissa and I were madly in love. It was still a noble relationship. The darkness had not yet slipped into our home. I could not deny her anything. She wished to study at Lufkin and I allowed it. I would have given her the world in any way she asked for it. She had been so mistreated. I willed that I could make every pain in her life disappear--had I been trained in Obliviation, I would have taken away the memories of what had been done to her. As I was not, I did what I had been trained to do. I killed. Not for my father, not for the Dark Lord, but for her--the execution of Cygnus Black was my first and only kill made for selfish purposes. It was my first taste of true possessiveness. Narcissa was mine. 

The war was in our favor---and I knew we were set to rise in society. We were the couple everyone wished to be. Beauty incarnate, I was told by a number over the years that it hurt to even gaze upon our perfection. There were no cracks in our porcelain then. I gave my wife everything I could. I allowed her freedom. I never feared any infidelity or impropriety. Her devotion matched my own. We made love because we were in love---and it was from that love that our son was conceived. 

In the summer of 1980, we welcomed our son into the world. I had an heir--and my father was delighted. He had scolded me for so long for not immediately focusing on ensuring the continuation of the bloodline. That was meant to be my priority, but as soon as Draco was born all talk of that ceased. Abraxas was committed to having one heir per generation. As I had a son, I was strongly encouraged to have no more children. A contraceptive spell was passed down to me at this time. One that has never failed us. 

It seemed certain that the Death Eaters were going to prevail. We were strong in number and dedicated to our purpose. We believed in our righteous war. I was rising quickly at the Ministry, within the Department of the Treasury. I was made for the work--I have always been a master of numeracy. 

1981 was a most surprising year, though. All was well until Halloween. The Dark Lord disappeared and Death Eaters began to fall. I was safe. My father being so much older than Tom Riddle gave little reason for him to be associated with the man. He wasn't in the Dark Lord's fellowship at school. They grew close afterwards, when the Dark Lord had already drawn a number of like-minded men to him. 

The trials came...and I was brought before the Wizengamot. I plead my innocence--swore I had been under the Imperius Curse. My pleas were heard. I avoided prison. Those who knew I was marked did not betray me...My wife's sister, in particular, was one who held my secret. Her husband and his brother, too, though Rodolphus came against me later in his own way. I was not as sad for the loss of the war as many were. I still had my career. I had my wife. I had my son. My life went on. For years, it went on--and I believed us free of the Dark Lord. 

My father and mother were taken from us a decade later. Dragon Pox. Most unfortunate. But it made the Manor my own. We had always lived on the Malfoy properties, but in a smaller space than the main house. Elegant and luxurious, of course, it had been still, but it felt like a mark of ascension to take the Manor. Shifts began to show themselves in my marriage about this time. 

I wanted to send Draco to Durmstrang--or to the Scholomance. He was welcomed to either. Sharp boy. Narcissa could not bear it though. Him being so far away, confined underground as they did at the Romanian school. I did not want him somewhere that did not teach the Dark Arts. I did not want him somewhere that allowed muggleborns to attend. But I succumbed to my wife's wishes and Draco went to Hogwarts. With the hopes of influencing the day-to-day running of Hogwarts as much as possible and undermine Dumbledore's authority and influence, I joined the Hogwarts Board of Governors. I used this station and my fortune to do all I could to ensure the best education possible for my son.

For years, I worked to distance myself from the Dark Arts and ownership of any such artifacts. To rid myself of them was not enough, I used them to discredit others. Like the baboon Arthur Weasley. I planted the diary of Tom Riddle on his eleven-year-old Ginny Weasley, who brought it to Hogwarts. That made for quite the debacle, the basilisk running about as it did. Though of course, the Potter saved the day as he always seemed to do. We'll not speak about the mess with Dobby. Stupid bloody elf--

The World Cup in 1994 was quite a good time, despite the Weasley trash being present. The day was punctuated with a nice bit of muggle torture and humiliation. Always good for the spirit... But when the Dark Mark flashed in the sky, I was not lingering. I thought it foolish when I saw the charm performed. It only drew attention on those of us who had been questioned and tried back in the 1980s.

I was wrong about the Dark Lord being gone. I put no stock in the claims of his return. I did not believe it. I did not want to believe it. The rise of the Second Wizarding War was not as welcome for me as it was for those who had been locked in Azkaban for so long. But I did not ignore the summons. His words to me when he returned were 'Lucius, my slippery friend. I am told that you have not renounced the old ways, though to the world you present a respectable face. You are still ready to take the lead in a spot of Muggle-torture, I believe? Yet you never tried to find me, Lucius.' I swore I had tried...but I hadn't. I am sure he knew. I was never the occluemns that my wife or son are. 

I was rather good with the Imperius, though. I put no shortage of person who could and should have been useful under our control. All in efforts to obtain that forsaken prophecy. That brought us to the Department of Mysteries...to the battle that outed me as a Death Eater. I didn't even get to say goodbye to my wife. I was transported to Azkaban. I had failed. The Dark Lord held me responsible for the misstep. The loss of the prophecy and the destruction of his diary horcrux were unforgivable. All standing I had managed with the Dark Lord's circle was lost. 

A sentence of imprisonment for life was placed upon me. Fresh to the prison, filled with years of joyful memories of my wife and son, the Dementors delighted in torturing me. They fed on the good fortune that had been my life--twisting it and shifting the memories into horrid delusions. A year of this. But a year of this was safer than facing Voldemort. I expect he would have killed me had I not been sent to prison from the Ministry. 

He took my home while I was away. He set my son on an impossible task. I could do nothing. Severus and Narcissa did what had to be done. When I was rescued from Azkaban, I went from prisoner to servant. The punishments endured in this time are not something to speak of. But let us suffice in saying that I failed to be the white knight for my wife in this dark time. I was a broken man, much damaged by the year of Dementor company and the beratement from other Death Eaters and Voldemort when I was brought home. 

We had the Golden Trio--I'm sure of it. We had something to set us back to right, to be a protection for my wife and son. But Bellatrix. She ruined it all. That punishment is one I shalln't ever forget. Brutal bastard. Somewhere along the way I lost all loyalty to the man. My true devotion had always been to the cause, more so than the man leading it. Family was always the most important aspect of my life. At the Battle of Hogwarts, it was only Draco I cared for. Narcissa lied to Voldemort and thank Merlin she did. I have never told her how much I appreciate that action. I don't know how. But I put up no fight that day. I just ran until I found him. Until we found him. All that mattered was his safety--his and Cissa's. My wife's actions were redeeming for us.

At least for awhile. Shacklebolt accepted our abandonment of Voldemort and his cause. I worked for him at the Ministry for years. Those were not great years, though, despite us having our fortune still. My marriage was much changed. The man I was before the imprisonment and mortification was not much part of me. Anger grew as a defining feature. Anger and possessiveness. How I lashed out--it is unthinkable. But I would set it to right. I would make grand apologies. I would buy lavish gifts. I would sin wickedly, but repent fervently. Narcissa was the goddess I prayed to. 

We lost everything slowly. My job was the first taken from me when Durant usurped Shacklebolt. That was not important. We had money enough. Until we didn't. The fines. The interrogations. They grew and grew and continued until we were ruined. Draco and I were sentenced to the work camp. The dementors occupied Knockturn, but they did not torment me as they once had. I was not a man made of joy and good fortune anymore. My spirit was heavy and broken. I was mortified to have my wife work retail. I was meant to save her...but I had damned her. I damned us all. 

Of course, I allied with Wentzell when he sought to revive the Death Eaters. Anything to get back what should have always been mine. Anything to reclaim my birthright--Narcissa and I were so distant now. It was barely a marriage. I never sought comfort from another. Not then. Not now. Not ever. We rose--the Death Eaters, that is. We rose and triumphed. Justice was doled out and the Manor was once again my home. I had my title restored. I had my career restored. But what I did not have was my wife. 

When I returned to Wiltshire, she did not join me. Appearances are maintained to some degree...though many know of our circumstance. A wife cannot life apart from her husband for two years and no one take notice. She has brought great shame on me in this. I think of it as little as a man is able to do so. Work is my life now. The Epidemic has ravaged magical society and the economy. I have much to occupy my mind and time. What is it to me that she has built this life elsewhere? 

parents
The Lord Abraxas Malfoy, deceased 1991, pureblood, Death Eater, Head of Department of International Magic Cooperation, Slytherin Alum

The Lady Oksandra Malfoy nee Rowle, deceased 1991, pureblood, Lady of Leisure, Slytherin Alum
siblings
None.
children
Draco Lucius Malfoy, 38, Pureblood
Professor of Alchemy at Hogwarts
Professor of Alchemy at University of Bangor 

Co-Owner of Desiderium
Head Potioneer of Desiderium

Alchemist
Potioneer
Author

Death Eater

University of Bangor Alum
Gràinneog Institute Alum
Slytherin Alum
partner
Narcissa Elladora Malfoy, 64, Pureblood
Hotel Manager of The Bent Elbow
Arithmancer
Author

Lufkin Alum
Slytherin Alum
other family
Extensive ties to other pureblood families.
family history
The Malfoys might not be the Blacks, but they, too, are an old, aristocratic pure-blood wizarding family: one of the “Sacred Twenty-eight“. Armand Malfoy was the first Malfoy in Britain, arriving with William the Conqueror in 1066. Armand was given land in Wiltshire by King William I where Malfoy Manor, a large, ornate house was built; this is where all of his descendants have resided for generations. All members of the Malfoys have been sorted into Slytherin House at Hogwarts. They for many generations were one of the wealthiest wizarding families in Britain, but they have a reputation for being “slippery”. Despite their promotion of pure-blood ideologies, the Malfoy family have been known to ingratiate with non-magical society when it suits their interests.

Nicholas Malfoy (fl. c. 1340s) was a member of the Malfoy family. He is believed to have dispatched many Muggle tenants under the guise of the Black Death. If this is true, he escaped censure by the Wizards' Council, and thus was never punished for it.

Brutus Malfoy (fl. 1675) was a wizard who lived during the 17th century. He edited the anti-Muggle periodical Warlock at War, and advocated the notion that witches and wizards who associated with Muggles lacked magical talent, writing in 1675, "Nothing is a surer sign of weak magic than a weakness for non-magical company."

In Brutus Malfoy's lifetime, persecution of wizards and witches by Muggles was at its height. Under these circumstances, anti-Muggle sentiments were widespread in the wizarding community. Brutus himself perpetuated the prejudice that wizards and witches who associated with Muggles lacked intelligence and magical ability.

Septimus Malfoy was a pure-blood wizard who lived during the late 18th century. He was influential in the Ministry of Magic, and many claimed that when he served as an advisor the Minister for Magic Unctuous Osbert was little more than his puppet.

Abraxas Malfoy (1892-1990) was a pure-blood wizard widely believed to have been part of the shady plot that, in 1968, forced Minister for Magic Nobby Leach (the first Muggle-born ever to have held the office) to leave his post prematurely. Nothing was, however, conclusively proven against Malfoy.

other
Personality Type: ISFJ
Moral Alignment: Lawful Evil
face claim
Anton Nilsson
status of application
complete
have you read the rules?
Aye.
how did you hear about us?
Dementor whispers.
roleplay sample
"Who am I to presume our separation causes you any discomfort when it is you who imposes the distance upon us?"

Admin Morgan
Admin Morgan Avatar
staff
8,041 posts
26 years old
Administrator
played by Morgan
"Life ain't all blueberries and paper airplanes, you know what I mean."
options

Post by Admin Morgan on Feb 3, 2019 17:58:02 GMT -5

Pending!

Hi, hi! With a birthday in December, he would have started Hogwarts in 1966, and I believe canonically he started in 1965! I do think that is what is registered for him also! if you change his birth year back to 1963, then his winter solstice birth won’t be impacted!
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Feb 3, 2019 17:59:15 GMT -5

Done!
Admin Morgan
Admin Morgan Avatar
staff
8,041 posts
26 years old