epidemic x status
Infected
occupation
Magical Bugs and Diseases Healer
Potioneer
Virologist
Creator of Epidemic X
general appearance
Tall, dark, and handsome, Artunakara is a distinguished and respected member of the wizarding community. He is move often seen in healers robes. His skin is lighter than that of some of his Shacklebolt relatives--and he has a spattering of freckles across his nose and chin. The man keeps his head shaved, but has maintained a goatee and beard for decades. The man despises ties. So, if he has one on, it is probably not really tightened all the way. He doesn't understand how a miniature hang man's noose became a stable of men's professional fashion. 

former school
Hogwarts
former house
Ravenclaw
achievements
Head Boy:  1990-1991
Ravenclaw Prefect: 1989-1990 (6th), 1988-1989 (5th)

Clubs:
Dueling: Member (1st-7th)
Potions Club: Member (1st-5th), Leader (6th-7th)

1st: 1984-85
2nd: 1985-86
3rd: 1986-87
4th: 1987-88
5th: 1988-89
6th: 1989-90
7th: 1990-91

university
U. of Bangor | University of Cambridge
university major(s)
Potionology | Virology
years attended
1991-1996 (Undergraduate), 1996-1998 (Graduate), 2003 (PhD)

skills
CURIOSITY ♕ Problems with unknown solutions, things that have yet to be explored...Art likes diving into the unexplored and the uncharted. There is nothing too far for him. Clearly. 

TWIN POWERS ♕  Being around Wendy gives him infinite confidence and inspiration. Together, he and his sister can quite literally accomplish everything (like creating a disease that takes away magic...)

VIROLOGY ♕ Alongside Wendy, Art has done extensive work on analyzing viral structures using ex-ray crystallography. They will be infamous and credited with co-creating the Squib Flu...when Art gets caught.
weaknesses
BITTERNESS ♕ Growing up, his twin was looked down upon because she was nonmagical. Art has never quite gotten over her being born a Squib or the way that their family treated her. She is his other half. It was love and devotion to her--and anger towards the Buchanan's that led to him working with her to construct a virus that would wipe out magic expression in the magical community so everyone would suffer as she had. 

FORGIVENESS ♕ "As my good friend Mr. Darcy once said, 'My good opinion once lost is lost for ever.'" Treat him or his twin wrong and Art is not going to forgive you. Period. 

SELF-CONTROL ♕ Wendy and Art went a little overboard creating a virus that would quite literally destroy magic. That's not a little overboard, is it?

WENDY ♕ Art would do anything his twin. Anything at all. He will fall on the proverbial sword to take responsibility for the epidemic if they get caught. He would never betray her. 
positive traits
BIG-THINKING ♕ BRAVE ♕ BRILLIANT ♕ CONFIDENT ♕ FOCUSED ♕ LOYAL 
negative traits
AMBITIOUS ♕ BITTER ♕ CODEPENDENT (on Wendy) ♕ CONSPIRATORIAL ♕ INTENSE ♕ JUDGMENTAL ♕ MALICIOUS ♕ OBSESSIVE ♕ UNETHICAL ♕ VINDICTIVE ♕ WORKAHOLIC
hobbies/interests
Origami ♕ Changing the world ♕ Killing magic ♕ Punishing his family ♕ Ruining his wife's career ♕ Research ♕ Experimentation 
accomplishments
EPIDEMIC X

character history
"I'll just let the ladies tell the story. They always do like to chatter on."

Compliments of Wendy:

"I will never understand it.

I've tried my whole life. Why...why did Art's genes express and not mine? Why was he the one gifted with magic? Why were all of them gifted with magic?

My name is Wednesday Buchanan and I was born twelve minutes after my brother. And how different we were. I didn't know it at first. None of us did. For a few years, I was just like every other Buchanan in the world. There was happiness, then. I remember it well - like a distant memory. Happiness. Smiles from my father...and my mother. New siblings that I was...excited for. My, how things have changed.

For a few years, I convinced myself that the love my family felt for me would make my magic appear. I convinced myself that because I believed, I would be a witch. Unfortunately, it didn't take long for my inability to shine through. Art sparked with tiny hints of magic from a young age...but me? Well, I never did. We waited and we waited. They looked and they looked. But every time Art would do something extraordinary, I was simply ordinary.

I thought that perhaps they had all been wrong. After all, a Buchanan had never in the history of our family tree been born without magic. It was impossible. It should have been impossible.

But my worst fears came true the day that one lone Hogwarts letter arrived via owl shortly before Art's first year at Hogwarts. I resented him that day. White hot resentment. How did he deserve this when I didn't? What made him special? What made me ordinary? A rage grew in me at age eleven. One that I wasn't proud of, but one that festered just the same.

My father treated me differently after that. I couldn't look at him for fear that I would see that same expression on his face: hatred. He hated me. His first daughter...his second child. How could someone who had loved me so heartedly change his mind because I didn't receive a letter? A stupid piece of parchment that invited me to an overrated school?!

My mother shipped me off after that. I imagine that just looking on me made my father sick to his stomach or something dramatic like that. My mother had little to offer in terms of reassurance, except to tell me that the Institute La Gruyère would be the best place for me while my father "adjusted to the news."

It was a wonderful school - offering education unlike any in England. I quickly rose to the top of my class, taking my anger out on my studies. I would go for hours, days even, without eating or sleeping as I crammed as much information into my brain as possible. I didn't get along with most of the other students, though there were a few that managed to bring me out of my shell. But everyone compared to the other half of me that I had lost. I often wrote to Art, though it was difficult to bridge the gap between the muggle world and the magical while I was in Switzerland. But sometimes, I would receive letters from him. Or small chocolate frogs that hopped around my bedroom. Little secrets I held close to my heart for as much as I hated the world that had shunned me...a part of myself would never quite get over magic and all its splendor.

Art and I graduated at about the same time. My parents allowed me to come with them to Hogwarts for his matriculation ceremony. It was the first and only time I saw the school and all its splendor. Years spent telling myself I "wasn't missing out" seemed to go down the drain. I had to bury myself further after that, picking up a double major at Cambridge. Art and I often took weekends to spend time together or study, but the travel between our two universities was taxing...especially given that I was restricted to travel by train.

While he dealt with the tumultuous politics of the Wizarding World and worked on a Masters in Virology, I pursued my graduate degrees in Microbiology and Virology. The study of diseases...the study of genes...the study of magical expression.

It was around that time that I met Gabriel Reese. An aspiring doctor that crossed my path in a medical lab in 1998, we instantly hit it off. His love of learning and appreciation for research made me feel as if we were destined to be together. He didn't mind that I was different. After all, how could he? He didn't even know that witches and wizards existed. Perhaps that was what I loved most about him. He saw me for what I was: a brilliant virologist on the cusp of something...not what I had failed to be.

My brother and I kept in touch. He came to the wedding, bringing his children and his wife. I always liked them the most. Aunt Wendy, Aunt Wendy! It felt good to have someone in the family not look at me as a total disappointment. In 2003, we welcomed Helena into the world. My only daughter. And, just like me, she didn't and continues not to express magic. That was when I caught on....what if it was genetic?

I tried not to think about it...I worked hard, gained notoriety in the scientific communities, and soon the entire world had their eyes on me. What would she discover next? How would Wendy Buchanan change the world? It didn't matter that I lacked magic. I had science.

But I wanted more. It started out as a joke. Wouldn't it be hilarious if they all had a taste of their own medicine? Wouldn't father think it funny. But the more Art and I tossed around the ideas, the more feasible it became. I stayed busy working in every lab that I could get my finger into but keeping my own little side projects. Exploring the differences between my DNA and that of my siblings. Exploring the reason that I was different.

October 2016 wasn't pretty. I knew what had happened - Art told me. He told me how giddy all of them were. But I could have never expected...never expected that they would have treated me that way. I should have seen it coming. They couldn't let me exist in peace. I was a sham...a disappointment. I was a blemish on their pureblood legacy. Art took me away, but not before I had made up my mind. This wasn't a joke. Taking away their magic...making all of them see what it was like. It wasn't a joke. It was going to be their reality.

Art spurred me on with his own fever. Together, we pushed one another to the brink each and every day. We stayed in the lab for hours, locking ourselves away as we worked. The creation was easy once I understood. Years of study had prepared me for this moment. And finally, after a year, we were ready for trials.

But of course, finding subjects willing to relinquish their magic proved difficult, as expected.

It wasn't pretty. The death, I mean. It ate through him like a plague, pulling apart his cells and destroying him from the inside out. A pureblood man. We had killed a pureblood man.

I disappeared after that. It was easier than explaining why my brother had been involved. I could be the scapegoat. I could run into the muggle world and never look back. But just as Gabriel and Helena and I were to take the train to Paris, I saw it. Plastered on the front page of an abandoned piece of parchment in the train station, I recognized the paper from my childhood. THE DAILY PROPHET. The cover story? MYSTERIOUS DISEASE SPREADS THROUGH ENGLAND, DISAPPEARING MAGIC.

He had done it. My god, he'd done it.

In truth, I will never be one of them.

But now, they will be one of me."

Compliments of Titania:

"Anyways, I could rant about the Cannons all night. It was in 1996 that I met Art. We had been at a Quidditch expo and some moronic caterer… well, I don’t know exactly what it was in the food, but almost everyone came down with food poisoning. I was fine but honestly, I hadn’t touched much of anything. I’m a picky eater sometimes, I admit it. Did me some good that day, at least.

Art asked me out at the end of his shift and I begrudgingly accepted. Yes, begrudgingly. Let me have my fun.

We were dating, but there was also the war to consider and that made everything harder. Joining the Order was not a hard decision for me to make. Even as a pureblood, even as a Prewett, I had formed my own opinions on blood purity and fighting against it was important to me. Art didn’t join, but I understood that. I wasn’t going to try to sway him toward that one way or another.

The war did end, though. It was hard, I’m not going to pretend that it wasn’t, but we all got through it and things were going to be better. We knew that they were.

Art and I were married in 1999, and it was the next summer that we had our first child, Vivien Titania Buchanan — yes, she got my first name. Men name children after themselves all the time, Viv was at least going to get my middle name. I was still playing for the Cannons at that time and actually, I was named the Most Valuable Player for the second time in my career in 2001. I found out that we were expecting our second child soon after that season ended.

I kept playing Quidditch -- was scouted by the Falcons. Yes, I know. I’m a badass. Mom, Quidditch player, I can do it all. But honestly, it wasn’t all that hard to be at home with Viv and Olivette — especially during the off season.

However, the last season that I would play would be the 2003 season. It was right after that season ended that I found out I was pregnant with twins. I’m very fertile, okay?

Well I am, okay. And that seemed like a good time to retire. Two kids already, and twins on the way? It was time to put professional Quidditch behind me. It only made sense. Pregnancy was trying enough but coming back from twins and playing professional Quidditch again? It just didn’t make sense.

Being a mother was more important. That was not a difficult choice to make. And things were good for a while. It was always hard between Art’s family and him, especially with how they treated Wendy. I could never understand that. Squib or not, family is family. It wasn’t like it was her fault that she had been born without magic. It wasn’t some choice that she had made, it was just something about herself that she couldn’t change.

But I digress.

Things were good. I started coaching after I retired, I don’t think I mentioned that, and it was soon after that the Scottish National Team scouted me which was an honor, obviously. Being in a team that… people laugh at more than they take seriously, let’s be honest, it’s nice for a scout to notice my own skill enough to want me for a national team.

Everything changed when the Ministry took over. Anyone with eyes might have seen it coming. The attack in Diagon Alley was a sign of something more to come…

My focus was a little closer to home, though. Art went to a family dinner that night. The kids and I didn’t, we were at my parents. It seemed… safer, though honestly, I didn’t feel all that safe that night. It felt like everything was about to change. It was an eerie feeling, after already living through one war.

Everything changed after that dinner. Art changed. I didn’t want to worry, he told me not to be, but I was… well to be honest, I was pregnant again and hormones always made me worry more. He wrote it off as that but I wasn’t as convinced. It got worse after Wendy was born and I found out about what they were working on — I tried to bite my tongue, which let’s be honest, I’m not that good at, but I tried. I understood how upset he was and I mean, I had seen how Wendy was treated over the years and I didn’t agree with it either but this… even if he said it was just for science, the way he and Wendy got when they were together…

Well, you all know how this ends, don’t you? Wendy disappeared. Art released the epidemic — more than half of the United Kingdom is without magic, and the hospital is working on a cure — Art is too… or was, but Wendy… I’m not convinced she ever wants there to be a cure.

I don’t know if Art just didn’t think we would get sick, or that I wouldn’t be able to play Quidditch anymore or… what. His anger blinded him from the people that he did love and how it would impact them. I don’t consider myself a selfish woman for saying that. I know how important his sister is to him. But he hurt people that he cared about in the process — and it’s only by sheer luck that children weren’t impacted. If the kids had gotten sick, apart from Viv, which is bad enough, he would have gotten more from me than just a smack.

Yes, I hit him. I gave him a black eye, actually. Of course, I was also feverish and he had to catch me actually so I didn’t pass out but the point stands. I gave him a black eye. Focus on that.

And now? I don’t know. I’m still worried. Worried about Viv without magic, worried about the kids, about what to call my daughter because I can’t stand to call her Wendy these days… and worried about Art. Not just that he might get found out for one of these days, but that he and Wendy are so destructive together that something worse might just happen…”

"That pretty much sums everything up. I guess Wendy didn't really talk about my years at Hogwarts, but there isn't that much to say. I was a Ravenclaw--and a really bloody smart one. Profs loved me. And why wouldn't they? I was sharp and witty. I did my revision. I was a touch ashamed of how much I loved Hogwarts. It felt wrong to be there without my other half. But without the person I had always felt closest to, I was forced out of my comfort zone. I met people I wouldn't have otherwise met. I'm sure if Wendy had been there, it would have been just us two. They was it had been before and the way it got after."

"They are both right. It was that dinner that did us in. I had always hated the way that our parents treated Wendy. But I thought they could come around. I thought they could appreciate how brilliant she is. Wendy really is brilliant. I cannot rave about her enough. I thought I had finally praised her enough that Father could see that she truly was the gem of the family."

"Embarrassing to know how wrong I was. Perhaps I should have put naivety as a weakness."

"No matter."

"Not now. Now, they all are just like her. Except they aren't. They aren't wonderful or brilliant or capable. They are just magicless."  

parents
Father: Friedrich Jabulani Buchanan - pureblood, age 73, Slytherin alum, Lufkin Alum, Attorney, Wizengamot Member (Buchanan Family Head), Death Eater

Mother: Amahle Buchanan (nee Shacklebolt) - pureblood, age 67, Slytherin alum, Society Matron
siblings
Twin Sister: Wednesday Zemfira Buchanan - pureblood, age 45, squib, Cambridge alum, Virologist, Microbiologist

Younger Sister: Kaya Lindiwe Buchanan - pureblood, age 43, Slytherin alum, Housewife, Mother of six and counting

Younger Brother: Arno Mandla Buchanan - pureblood, age 40, Slytherin alum, Lufkin University Law Professor, Lufkin Alum, Attorney, Death Eater
children
Vivien Titania Buchanan - daughter; pureblood, 18, Ravenclaw Alum, Bangor Student (Alchemy), Healer-In-Training

Olivette (Vet) Megara Buchanan
- daughter; pureblood, 16, Ravenclaw Student

Perseus Galahad Buchanan - son; pureblood, 14, Gryffindor Student

Zephyrus Altair Buchanan - son; pureblood, 14, Hufflepuff Student

Wednesday Zemfira Buchanan II - daughter; pureblood, 5
partner
Titania Galadriel Buchanan, pureblood, 43, Gryffindor alum, Coach of the Falmouth Falcons, Seeker for the Scottish National Team
other family
Brother-in-law: Gabriel Reese - 46, Muggle Neurologist
Niece: Helena Reese - 15, Muggle, Student at Institut La Gruyère
family history
While pureblood marriages were often arranged, there was no betrothal agreement between Amahle Shacklebolt and Friedrich Buchanan. Five years between them, the pair though both being in Slytherin, knew each other only in passing. The Buchanans were known to be more loyal to purist politics than the Shacklebolts ever were. 

However, Friedrich wooed Amahle to him--and drew her into his way of thinking. Under his influence, her prejudice grew. She came to shun the Shacklebolts and mingle in the darker circles. She gave up all career ambitions to be a dedicated wife to her husband. She gave him children quickly. A pair of twins were welcomed into the family only a year after their wedding. 

Amahle sought to teach her children all to be fine purists. It was the greatest shame of her life when it became apparent that Wednesday was a squib. The woman never forgave herself for birthing such a shame. 

other
Lawful Evil
Lawful evil is sometimes called "diabolical," because devils are the epitome of lawful evil.

Lawful evil creatures consider their alignment to be the best because it combines honor with a dedicated self-interest.

Lawful evil is the most dangerous alignment because it represents methodical, intentional, and frequently successful evil.
face claim
Common
status of application
complete
have you read the rules?
Perhaps.
how did you hear about us?
I infected you.
roleplay sample
Sorry, babies, @olivette & @vivien , Daddy's going to jail...

Admin Morgan
Admin Morgan Avatar
staff
8,041 posts
26 years old
Administrator
played by Morgan
"Life ain't all blueberries and paper airplanes, you know what I mean."
options
Admin Morgan
Admin Morgan Avatar
staff