Tracing Paper

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on May 31, 2015 20:38:32 GMT -5

Throughout most of her life, Daisy had been easily recognized. Her sisters and her all shared dark hair and dark eyes, making it hard to deny any sort of family resemblance. If that wasn’t enough,her name surely gave it away. Sure Lowry wasn’t too common of a name, but a common of enough one that perhaps someone could say that they weren’t related to a certain set that shared the last name. However, there was no denying it for Daisy when her and each one of her sisters had the misfortune of having themed names. Yes, every single one of them was named after a flower, and this always seemed to give it away. Still, Samuel didn’t say anything yet if knew. Instead, all he did was share that her rambling was okay and something about not being able to learn to kiss from a book. What in the hell is that supposed to mean? “Well what do you suggest then? Watching couples and learning to kiss through osmosis?”

When Samuel stated that jerks can be easy to spot, Daisy couldn’t help but to disagree. She surely had met her fair share of douche bags throughout her years at Hogwarts. Some of them, she believed to be her friends, but just took advantage of her for help with astronomy homework Others had been friends of her older siblings and treated her like garbage. Others had been downright bullies. Sure, she had her fair share of the male gender that had been bearable, more so as an adult than as a student, but she couldn’t always identify the diamonds in the rough. All of this was actually rather embarrassing or her to talk about, so she just kept it to herself.

Daisy raised one of her arms in a hugging manner almost to reassure herself, afraid of what fresh hell would unleash on her now that Samuel had brought up her sisters. When all he said was that he was sorry, she almost couldn’t believe him. Was there really no more to it? It had never been that simple. In fact, it left her rather speechless. “It’s fine,” she lied and looked away again trying to keep herself from shaking. It was the adrenaline that coursed through her as she had prepared herself for a conversation that thankfully wasn’t happening. However, the calming process as the heightened emotions tried to leave her left her looking probably slightly more upset than what she really was.

The professor watched as Samuel turned away before talking about his sister. Apparently, it wasn’t just her then that had sibling troubles. Although, the Gryffindor head of house sounded a bit sadder. It sounded as if one time they had a great relationship, but not so much now. It was so unlike her own situation in that way, as she had always had disdain for her siblings. Well, maybe in their younger days before Hogwarts they all got along, but that was many years ago. “I think a sibling should be protective,” Daisy offered quietly with a smile. She was unsure of what else to say, so she said what she thought. The woman wished she had someone like that in her own life. Perhaps Kahina was the closest thing.

Feeling relieved that perhaps their first conversation maybe hadn’t completely took a turn for the worse, the Ravenclaw head of house smiled at her colleague when they began to talk about music again. She couldn’t believe he was a guitar player. Well, maybe she could, she didn’t know him that well. It still delighted her. The woman became even more gleeful when the man offered to teach her guitar. She let out a small giggle when he said his schedule. “What a surprise. Turns out that is exactly when I’m free too,” she said sarcastically, but politely. “Plus, once classes end, I’m sure we will have a lot more time on our hands.” At least, I know I will. “When and where would be good for our lessons then,” she asked with a very genuine smile. She loved learning and hadn’t been looking forward to something this much in a long time.

A shade of crimson rose to the woman’s face and a grin crossed her face as she looked towards the ground when Samuel told her that she spoke like a Ravenclaw. It wasn’t the first time she had heard it, and actually, she found it to be a compliment. Unfortunately, she didn’t take compliments too well and never knew what to do with herself. “I suppose that’s why they let me be the head of the Ravenclaw house then,” she said carrying the same grin a she found it in her to raise her head and meet his eyes again. It was often hard for the woman to look someone in the eye , particularly men, anyone her age, or any person of power, but she supposed she needed to learn this skill now that she was professor. “I hope they do too. I try to make it more interesting for everyone and play on the bit of narcissism we all have. People love learning more about themselves and anything that can explain their faults. You wouldn’t believe how many people get so excited to learn their destiny numbers,” she rambled on, sure that maybe the man didn’t care to be reminded of a subject he may have studied back in his days as a student. “I’d like to think that numbers are not something that could cause fights, but I have been wrong before,” she laughed as she recalled an instance of a fight that broke out in her younger years between two girls when one apparently had compatible numbers with the other’s boyfriend.

Despite her being a little cantankerous with her words to Samuel, he seemed rather calm when he spoke to her. In fact, it sounded so genuine to her. He invited her to talk about if she wanted to, to be a listening ear. It was also the first time she had heard someone tell her that she wasn’t as strange as she had come to believe she was. It was all rather surprising to her. “I--,” she paused. Was she actually ready to just spill out everything to him? No, Daisy. You don’t know this man. You can’t just spill out your whole life to him. “Thank you,” she said as she let her arms hang in front of her and gave the man a nod. “Maybe someday, I will take you up on that.” But not today.
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jun 2, 2015 7:53:00 GMT -5

As he looked at the witch before him, Samuel finally realised who she reminded him of. He would have questioned if his guess was right but knowing that Hannah always denied that they were related after she finished school, he didn’t want to. He was good, great in fact at reading people and so he felt that the Ravenclaw head of house probably didn’t want to be reminded of being related to Rose. He didn’t remember her too much from school just that he had had some classes with her on occasion, Transfiguration and ironically enough Arithmancy was also one of them. However he could tell that had been a few stark differences between Rose and her younger sister, well he presumed the woman he was conversing with currently was younger in age. The Lowry sister in his year had been more louder and more confident, and the one in front of him was considerably quieter more reserved and that was something he admired. Why, however, he wasn’t very sure. Samuel chuckled at her suggestion of how it was best to learn to kiss. “Not quiet, although that avenue would be an interesting, there are more…..effective methods to learning such a….skill” he said with a single bow of his head.

When he stated that the more jerk-like males were easier to spot he notice how Daisy became more silent. He gazed at her out the corner of his eye as he admired the art that hung on the walls near them. Even if Gryffindors were known by some as not being considerate of others, since he had become head of his former house he had also learnt to show some degree of compassion since he had to be there for his students. “Is everything okay?” he asked in the same manner as if he would be speak to one of his lions.

His first reaction to her saying ‘it was okay’ was that he didn’t believe her, but since he had just met the woman he was being super careful with what he said to her. When she looked away that further convinced him that something was wrong. Had Rose and her other sisters done something to her when she was younger? Perhaps, but he hoped not. He looked at her almost studying her stance wondering if he should say anything. “Alright” he said with a small smile, trying to sound convinced but was far from it.

Samuel couldn’t recall exactly what he had even said to Hannah the last time they spoke. But whatever it was, it had been enough to keep away all these years. Honestly he hated it. She hadn’t even seen their mother in that time. Every time he went to London to visit, his mum would look at him sadly and that was enough to show him how much she missed her daughter. At times he felt like the worst son and brother ever, even if he knew other males had done far worse. The smile Daisy offered made him feel slightly better. “My sister had a different idea on that” he replied sadly. It hadn't been easy on him to be the be the ‘man of the house’ from such a  young age.

Why the heck he had even offered to teach her to play guitar, he didn’t know. But he was ecstatic that he had taken up her offer. He arched his brow as she giggled and a small smile crept on his face. Samuel was only accustomed to hearing his younger students laughing not a grown woman but still, it was cute. “Did the studious Arithmancy professor just giggle?” he teased. He laughed heartily at her sarcasm and wit, he was waiting on it to show and was glad when it finally came out. “Well how did I know? Perhaps you had other engagements on your calendar?” he replied matching her sarcasm. He thought about her question. “Well that depends, would you prefer to come to my office or I can come to yours or would rather learn outdoors? As for time, weekends suit me best” he replied, offering her a few options.

As her head rose, Samuel smiled back at her. He found her eyes rather pretty, but he tried to not read too much into that now. “Well if I was to be honest with you, Daisy, Arithmancy wasn’t my strong suit nor was Astronomy in fact” he told her. He wasn’t even sure why he had studied the former in fact but his mother had told him she had enjoyed the subject during her time at Hogwarts. But his interest was pique as she spoke of fights breaking out over numbers. “How so?” he asked curiously, since he couldn’t fathom a scenario in which that would occur.

He nodded at her response. “Well Professor, when you do decide to do so, I can usually be found in my office” the man informed her, assuming she knew where his office was. He was very sure that she would explain everything to him one day, but in her own time, of course.

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jun 12, 2015 20:05:38 GMT -5

t could have just been her imagination. God knows how bad she could be at reading people at times. But she could have sworn the wizard in front of her had shared a look, almost as if something had come to him. She feared that it was true, so she made no attempt to acknowledge it. She did her best to keep her expression neutral, fearing what words the man may say next. When he spoke, she hold her breath in anticipation, and only exhaled when it was in response to her comment about learning kissing through osmosis. Daisy all but laughed when he referred to smooching as a skill. “Well then, Professor Copeland, what exactly are these more ‘effective ways’ that you speak of?”

In many cases, people recognized Daisy could ramble a lot, but she could also be very quiet at times. It was part of her shy tendencies. When she felt uncomfortable or didn’t particularly like rehashing a particularly bad memory, her default reaction was to retreat within herself. Naturally, since Samuel didn’t know her from Adam, He didn’t understand that this was just something she did. “Yes. I’m fine,” was all she could offer him with a slight reassuring smile.

Daisy had been awaiting the interrogation to come. He had made an obvious remark that gave her the indication he knew who she was. But still he said nothing. Even now, all he said was “alright.” The wizard didn’t seem to be diving more into it at all. Perhaps he really didn’t know and was just genuinely curious if she had sisters. If this was the case, Daisy believed it to be a completely odd coincidence. In fact, it was killing her. I need to ask… wait no. Hell no. Why would I do that? It was actually kind of relieving to not be asked about her sisters, so why would she willingly bring them up? Instead she gave him an appreciative grin and nodded.

With her own history of her sister troubles, Daisy wasn’t about to press Samuel to elaborate on his. When all he retorted was that his sister saw things differently, she gave him a look of acknowledgment as well as empathy. The feeling of seeing things different than your siblings or just being different from them was not lost on her. Had she known her colleague better, perhaps she would have reached out to give him a pat on the shoulder that said it would be okay. However, she didn’t know him that well. “I’m sorry to hear that.” Daisy would have loved for her sisters to be protective and close to her. She couldn’t understand why anyone would push that away.

The witch certainly wasn’t used to being teased, at least not in a way that wasn’t mean. When the man joked with her for giggling, she had no idea how to act or what to say. She could feel a bit of red rising in her face. “Well, I am human. Humans have the capability to laugh. Is it that surprising,” she asked with a smile hoping some of the crimson was fading. She had to stop herself from continuing her giggles when he said she may have some other engagements. “You must have me mistaken for someone who is rather social and knows a lot of people. I pretty much don’t do a lot outside of teaching.” Should I have just admitted that? When he asked where she would rather have lessons, she thought about it. Her curious side won out. “Well, I’ve never seen the Gryffindor head of house’s office,” she said with a look that indicated she was hinting that is where she wanted to have lessons.

A lot of people had told the witch that arithmancy was never their forte. Wile she didn’t understand why some people found it so difficult, she wasn’t one to even down someone for struggling with the subject. Merlin knew that she of all people knew how that felt. “Well, if you ever need help with either, let me know. Both were kind of my best subjects,” she said as she awkwardly shuffled and fidgeted her hands. The woman really didn’t like to give herself compliments. When he asked the story, just remembering it made her smile. “Oh, well,” she paused to laugh, “I saw two girls who were friends once broke out in a fight because one had a compatible destiny number with the other girl’s boyfriend. Silly, really. There is so much more to destiny numbers, but that isn’t important.” Good job, Daisy! You stopped yourself from rambling.

She was very grateful to have the professor extend to be a listening ear. It wasn’t the first time someone had offered it to her. Many years ago, she had finally taken Kahina up on her offer. Perhaps one day she would do the same with Samuel. Someday, but not today.
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on Jun 14, 2015 0:11:38 GMT -5

Sure he knew her sister, how could he not the theme with their names was his biggest clue. But something had told the Charms professor that the witch in front of him didn’t want to speak about it as if it were a touchy subject. He understood all too well that sometimes siblings didn’t get along or were too overbearing. Samuel saw that with his students on occasion too. But he was glad that she had enquired as to what ‘effective’ methods he was speaking off. He paused for a moment to try and stop the smirk surfacing on his features. Of course he had only just met the woman, he had no idea what impression he was creating upon her. “That’s simple Professor Lowry, like charms the best way to learn to perfect one is by practicing it, correct? The same applies to kissing” he replied with a neutral tone, keeping his expression impartial.

He could tell that something was bothering the head of Ravenclaw but he didn’t want to pry into what that was. He would keep his prying to when he spoke to his Gryffindors, for now anyway. Daisy was new to the school, maybe as time went on they could get to know each other better but that wasn’t about to happen in the seventh floor corridor. But he would probably remember this in case she went quiet on him again in their future conversations. And it was likely that they would converse a lot in the future. He returned her smiled and nodded. Samuel looked around and noted that it was eerily quiet for this time of day, perhaps the students were attending to studying and to homework. Well he could fool himself into believing they were.

Samuel knew Rose, they would have had classes together and probably talked a little during their time at school, especially given that they were in the same year. Truth be told he wasn’t aware that she had had a younger sister, well he assumed that Daisy was younger than him. But he was glad to have met her. Daisy was different, considerably quieter that’s for sure, Rose was more……assertive.

All he could respond with was a small smile and a slight shrug. He didn’t want to discuss Hannah with his colleague. Especially, not if she was not going to bring up whatever was troubling her. But he wasn’t to vent or unload on people much, unless he was drunk and he definitely wasn’t in that state right now. The only person who was ever fortunate to see him in that state was Tiwaz, he would have to catch up with the magical creatures professor soon. “Thanks” he said, still smiling.

Arching a brow at her, he noted that perhaps she was trying to stop the blush that was threatening to appear. It was rather refreshing for Samuel to see, but he couldn’t pinpoint why. He was going to continue with sarcasm but held off, for now. “No, I’m just glad to see it” he answered, smirking. He much preferred this side of the former Ravenclaw, not that he wouldn’t be open to hearing about whatever was troubling her, in due course. “Well that’s about to change now, Daisy” he told her, referring to both points, he could see her getting along with all the staff at Hogwarts, so would soon know much more people and she was going to learn guitar, so now she would have something outside of teaching. His eyebrows rose as she indicated she would prefer to learn in his office. “My office it is” he confirmed, thinking that it was an interesting choice.

Both subjects had alluded the former Gryffindor as a student, Arithmancy more so than Astronomy. The solar system had been easy enough to understand but the constellations always tricked him. “Thank you, I’ll remember that” he smiled appreciatively. The story of the two girls fighting certainly amused him. However, the topic of teenage girls and boys not so much but it was something he had to deal with as a head of house. “Well at least you have practice with that kind of thing, you should do fine here” he joked waving his hand around, referring to the students.

Smiling her, Samuel realised that he probably finally head down to his office. He of course had to write letters to the parents of the students that had been fighting. It wasn’t something he really liked doing. “I seem to have kept you long enough from exploring, Daisy, I should head down to first floor. I will see you around” he said smiling kindly with a quick nod before turning around and heading towards the stairs.

*END OF THREAD*