Tracing Paper

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on May 7, 2015 17:46:32 GMT -5

Roaming around the seventh floor was to be expected for Daisy Lowry. Her office was up here as was her classroom. Not to mention the house she saw over was on this floor. It still was surreal to her to be back in the castle. She had always dreamed of being a professor. The woman knew this is what she wanted, but it was hard to see this place from the eyes of a professor rather than a student. It was all the same in appearance of course, but it still felt different.

Different didn’t necessarily scare the professor. She had always been the odd one out in her family: the abnormal one, the dissimilar Lowry sister. Daisy was used to a lifestyle of distinction, so she would get through this transition. It would even be made easier by having her good friend Kahina. And now, she had even met the head of house for Slytherin. For once in her life, she looked forward to what was coming her way. For once in her life, she felt extremely happy.

It was in these times, Daisy decided she would stop to appreciate the smaller things more. She roamed the corridor looking at the beautiful pictures. She would smile at the moving people and bow her head to them when they acknowledged her. A carousel caught her eye as it spinned with children laughing on it as it continued to whirl. Her grin fit in with their giggles. She moved on to a couple dancing to music she couldn’t hear, but if she tried hard enough, she thought she could hear a faint melody. Wait, no. Someone was walking near her.

@samuel
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on May 7, 2015 21:03:12 GMT -5

Samuel was on his way down from Gryffindor tower to his office, however he decided to take his time. Some boys in his house had gotten into a scuffle amongst themselves, which he of course had to break up. Now it meant he had to write home to their parents, which he didn’t mind doing he just wished his owl would be bearing good news and not the bad sort. When he was student here had never fought, of course that could be because he and his classmates had witnessed enough fighting and death in their first two years at the school.

Though he had been at Hogwarts for a short time in a professor capacity, Samuel had never really spoken to his colleagues and he figured that even with the school year nearing to a close, he better make the most of it. He saw who he knew to the Arithmancy Professor strolling pas the tapestries and paintings. He of course only knew her in name but now seemed like a good as opportunity as any to speak with her, if only briefly. He knew that she was also the head of Ravenclaw and that was another reason to talk to her.

Not wanting to disturb her, he walked a few paces behind her and paused when she paused to look at the couple dancing. “My apologies Professor Lowry, I did not mean to disturb you” he smiled at her sincerely, genuinely apologetic.

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on May 8, 2015 21:21:15 GMT -5

One day, the portraits on these wands would become familiar to Daisy. Sometime in the future, she would be able to recite what was in every portrait. There would come a time when she would be able to tell you the portrait of the polar bear cubs was four spaces down from the circus tent. The woman intended to make this place her home, for teaching had been her calling, and she was planning to roam here for many years to come.

A voice called out to her. It came from the person she had previously believed to be music. The rhythmic steps had put a song in her head for the waltzing couple. But now, she knew it wasn’t music. It was a man, another professor and head of house at that. Daisy only knew him by name really. She had had limited interaction with him, but that was to be expected as a new professor that wasn’t one to go out of her way to talk to someone she didn’t know. No, this woman would wait until she was approached.

The man spoke in a very sincere and almost charismatic way. Sincerity was something Daisy could always convey, but charisma was a different story. Because of this, it never ceased to charm and impress her when someone spoke so confidently. In fact, she found it hard to speak, partly because Daisy was always so nervous to speak to someone new, but also because she had been so taken aback. “N-n-no, don’t apologize. You’re… fine, Professor…” Ah! What was his name again? “COPELAND! Uh, yes, uhm, no apology necessary, Professor Copeland. Oh, and, uh, you can call me Daisy.” She swallowed trying to regain some more composure. Just talk like a normal human being for once! “You didn’t disturb anything. I was… just looking. H-how are you, today?” Better, but still not ideal.
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on May 10, 2015 21:32:19 GMT -5

Samuel continued to watch her careful as she seemed to be absorbed by the painting. He did take his time to appreciate the many artworks that hung around the castle but he did so for research or educational purposes not because something in the painting or the tapestry caught his eye. It wasn’t that he disliked artwork, no, Samuel just preferred the performing arts. He wondered if his fellow Professor had come up here to attend to matters in her house like he had or for another reason. Perhaps it was another reason, he didn’t see Ravenclaws getting into fights amongst themselves as much Gryffindors did but of course he could be mistaken on that front.

He watched as she recovered from the shock he had caused her by interrupting her. He smiled gently as she spoke trying to get his name in the process. Was she nervous around him, why was she nervous? “Daisy it is and please do not be nervous” he politely requested of her. “And please call me Samuel” he asked of her in a courteous manner. Looking around her at the painting of the Carousel he smiled as he looked back at the woman. “I see, it is lovely artwork.” He told her. Even if he preferred the performing arts, he could still appreciate a beautiful piece much like he could with guitar instrumentals. “I could be better if the students in my house didn’t fight amongst themselves” he told her as gestured in the direction of Gryffindor tower.

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on May 15, 2015 22:22:02 GMT -5

If Daisy were to find any upside to her awkward mannerisms when she met someone, it was that it helped her find loyal and good friends. She figured if anyone could stay by her side in spite of all her nervous little quirks when she was getting to meet someone, they must be something special and a great person to have around. In fact, that was sort of how her and Kahina had become friends. The now Divinations professor had befriended Daisy despite her stammering about. As time went on, the arithmancy professor had learned that maybe not everyone was going to abandon her and run away scared just because it took her a minute to warm up.

This Gryffindor head of house was no exception. It is so typical of a lion to be so brave and state that there is no need to be nervous. Daisy figured she would be a little more brave or confident if her sisters wouldn’t have instilled that fear in her. Unfortunately, she never could shake the feeling she was always being judged as her older siblings, particularly Rose, had pretty much brainwashed her to think that people looked down on her due to her lack of transfiguration talent. “Yes, forgive me. Old habits, I suppose,” She brushed the front of her shirt and the ends of her skirt as she spoke. Professor Copeland had instructed her to call him by his first name and she nodded in understanding. “Do you prefer Sam or Samuel,” she asked.

Samuel turned to the merry-go-round that she had previously gazed upon. It was still just as wonderful to her. It made her long for the days of being a young child, when she didn’t have to worry about comparing herself to others, when she still had hope she would grow up to make her family proud. Alas, those days were gone, but those almost lost memories didn’t diminish the beauty of the portrait. “Yes, I agree. I’m not very artistic myself, but I can always appreciate it. Do you like art, sir?” Sir? It was a bit more formal than she meant, but she had always been a little bit more nervous and strange around men. Well, at least the stuttering is gone.

Daisy’s mouth dropped a bit at what the man had said in regards to his house. Unfortunately, the woman hadn’t had much of a chance to meet the students in her house, but on the bright side, she figured no news was good news. At least to her knowledge, her students weren’t fighting among each other. They would be more likely to have some sort of intellectual debate or something of that sort. “Goodness! A fight? As in a ‘physical fight?’ Blimey! Why were they fighting?”
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on May 16, 2015 21:26:22 GMT -5

He hadn't meant to make the woman nervous. Of course when he had come across Cadence in the trophy room a few days back she had been nervous around him, thinking she was in trouble but of course she wasn’t. It was now that Samuel made a mental note to not seem so intimidating unless he had to be to set his students right or something. If he was making the woman before him nervous he sure hoped that when she came to teach a class she was confident in front of the students, but he was sure she would be. Perhaps he needed clarification on why she was so nervous. “Forgive me, Daisy if this question is a little intrusive but why are you so nervous? It’s not me is it?” he asked slowly, though he was sure it wasn’t him. Of course being a Gryffindor Samuel was naturally charismatic and confident in his actions and how he spoke and to expect that from every other professor at Hogwarts, was just delusional of him.

The blonde nodded his head at witch, she didn’t need to apologise. “It is perfectly okay” he replied simply as he saw her brush of her top and the ends of the skirt she was wearing. In typical male fashion he couldn’t help but notice how pretty she was but immediately scolded himself for thinking that…..he needed to keep his thoughts professional. It was as if he needed someone to follow him around and if he was ever alone with a female colleague they had better slap him to keep his thoughts in check. “Either is fine, only my sister calls me Sam but I respond to both” he informed her with a sincere smile. Finally his thoughts were above board. He mentally applauded himself for that.

The man arched his brow at being called sir by someone, who he presumed was of a similar age to him. He decided not to bring it up, there was no point in embarrassing Daisy any more. “I am not creative in the classical sense” he said gesturing to the paintings around them “But I do play guitar and I do admire the paintings as I make my way along the corridors from time to time.” He answered her. Normally when Samuel strolled the corridors he often had a tune playing in his head, if anything it kept the bad memories away.

Yes a few punches were thrown, thankfully no one got seriously injured, brooms, a debate over brooms escalated” he replied shaking his head at the boys in his house. The Gryffindors and their egos, particularly during the teenage years was something that certainly couldn’t be matched. “How goes everything in Ravenclaw house?” he asked, as he admired her beauty yet again.

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on May 22, 2015 17:12:19 GMT -5

Over time, Daisy had come to realize something about herself. It was people around her own age that filled her with anxiety. When she had worked with younger students in China, she had not been nervous. She had began to believe it was because many people her age knew of the talents of her sisters and expected her to be just as talented in the realm of transfiguration, when in reality, most first years probably outshone her in that area. It shamed the poor woman. She thought that with her expertise in math, the formulas one needed to apply to appropriately transform objects would make the subject so easy to her, but it never did. It embarrassed her. Even now with Samuel standing here asking why she was so nervous, the honest answer in her head made her feel so inadequate. The arithmancy professor wasn’t sure if Samuel knew Rose or not, but she speculated maybe he didn’t as he had never asked about their relation. Still, stating who her sisters were was not something the woman offered to others freely. In fact, she avoided it completely. No, she would not give Samuel a completely honest answer to his question. “Well, I think I just get nervous around men in general. Please don’t take it personally or anything. I just… uhm, haven’t been around guys a lot,” she shared with a nervous smile. It was sort of true in a way. She had never dated or had really any male friends. Men did indeed make her nervous, but she knew this wasn’t the main reason for her odd behavior.

Samuel seemed to be rather patient and polite with Daisy. She noticed that he was rather well mannered and presented himself with great charisma. The woman found that admirable and wished she could do the same. She liked to think herself patient and polite, but charismatic was not a word she would associate with herself. “Well then, Samuel it is,” she said not wanting to infringe on the nickname his sister called him. The Ravenclaw head of house sensed that by calling him “Sam” the charms professor and his sister were fairly close, which if this were the case, Daisy envied him. “Is it just the one sister then? Did you two get along well?”

Turning her attention back to the art, she gave a slight appreciative smile. Daisy herself was in no way creative or artistic, but could still find beauty in it. Hell, to her it was way more impressive than being able to transform into some damn animal. Samuel spoke of how he wasn’t too creative himself, but played guitar. The woman’s face suddenly lit up and she relaxed a bit for the first time since beginning the conversation. “You play guitar? That’s amazing. I have always wanted to learn. What kind of music do you play?” Daisy believed that playing an instrument was intriguing and even a bit alluring.

“A few punches?! Over a broomstick debate?! Good grief. Well, at least no one was really hurt,”
she said shaking her head. At least if her student’s debated, it was over intellectual things such as which telescope would allow for the best star charting. Plus, the debates of Ravenclaws had never turned into a boxing match. “Well, so far things have been quiet,” she paused and began to shift back to her uncomfortable state. “It’s kind of hard to tell with being new, but I haven’t received any reports yet.” Although, I hope this little talk about it isn’t bad luck.
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on May 24, 2015 7:28:31 GMT -5

He had to stop himself before his thoughts got too far out of hand. It probably wasn’t likely with Daisy, since for one it was night time and they were simply talking in the corridor. However, recent events had thought Samuel that anything was possible where his mind was concerned. It would be unprofessional at the best of times. But standing with the new head of Ravenclaw there, he could tell there was something different, she was different. The wizard however wasn’t able to pinpoint that difference out yet. He did know that in time he would figure out what her stand out feature was, or perhaps Daisy had more than one and perhaps he would uncover them all. She was new to the school and he try and make her feel as welcome as possible. All he had to be was his charming, gentlemanly self and if he were to say, he felt he was achieving that so far. The charms professor looked at Daisy, studying what she had just sad about not being around blokes very often. “I see, so no secret boyfriend during your years here?” He asked teasingly. “Don’t worry we aren't all jerks” he smiled at her sincerely. He was being completely honest with her but he could tell that something was missing from her answer but he wasn’t going to press for that missing piece. “Would I be right in guessing you have a sister or many sisters?” he questioned, knowing that being an only child was also an option for Daisy

Of course Sam was reserved for Hannah. Only she ever called him that. More so, towards the later years of her time at Hogwarts and after she graduated, before she went gallivanting around the world. Yes they saw each other briefly when she returned four years ago but that meeting lasted a few hours and he hadn't seen her since then. It upset him but being the man he was, Samuel never let that show. He smiled at Daisy as she confirmed what name she would call him. “Yes just one younger sister. And we did get along……a long while ago” he sighed briefly before a charming smile fell upon his features. He didn’t want to go into that with Daisy, at least not yet. He was sure this wouldn’t be the last conversation he would be having with the Arithmancy professor. 

The wizard moved close to the artwork. As he did, he saw the detail in the brush strokes, how even though there wasn’t any pattern to them, they still flowed together brilliantly. His eyes widened as her face lit up at his mention of playing guitar. The instrument normally sat in his flat but the location could always change he supposed. “Well….I’d be happy to teach you a few chords, if you want to learn” he smiled at her before taking a step back. He realised he was probably a little too close for her comfort since she had just said she got nervous around men. Samuel could have also taken away his offer to teach her but he felt that somehow she may take it up, if not now, eventually. “I play a bit of everything really, Blues, Jazz, Muggle rock” he answered, it really was an eclectic mix of music if he thought about it.

The man nodded his head. “They are teenage boys, one thought Firebolts were the best of all the brooms, the other boy disagreed” he sighed again, looking in the direction of the Gryffindor common room entrance, hoping all was calm now before he looked back at the pretty witch in front of him. “I’ve found that Ravenclaws behave in ways one would least expect it” he told her, rather vaguely. “Daisy may I suggest you don’t let them get to you, give them one indication you’re nervous and they’ll run riot” he advised, not meaning riot in the literal sense that was more the style of his house. But he knew for her it may the case of easy said than done.

Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on May 24, 2015 21:56:49 GMT -5

Daisy began to feel like a small mouse. She had felt this way many times, but she was not sure what was going on as she stood and talked with the Gryffindor head of house. She could feel him watching her, which caused her to back up against the wall a bit. For some reason, it offered a sense of comfort and protection as she gazed back at him. Why is he looking at me? Oh God, does he think I look like Rose? Is he starting to put two and two together? The woman was starting to get so built up with worry that it was almost relieving when he finally spoke. Although relief, suddenly was defeated by embarrassment. She smiled and blushed. Am I really getting asked about my lack of dating experience right now? “Uhm, no… I’m afraid that the only boyfriends I had were books,” she said smiling, but then a thought occurred to her, “not that I made out with the books or anything like that,” she added quickly, “that would be awkward. Actually me bringing that up is awkward because who would think of that? I’ve just made this whole thing very awkward. I’m sorry, I’m just… uhm… awkward. I’m going to stop talking now” she rambled quickly and playing with her hands. If she could back up any further she would, but that was just not possible. She considered leaving, but what good would that do? This was her colleague, and she would encounter him multiple times. The woman simply couldn’t just walk away with that hanging in the air.

Relaxation started to creep in at the reassurance that men weren’t all jerks. Truth be told, Daisy didn’t think they were. In fact, Samuel so far had proven to be very nice to her. She examined his smile, she figured it only fair since she could sense she was under some microscope of his anyway. The head of Ravenclaw couldn’t lie, he had a rather pleasant smile that was sort of calming. In fact, it sort of made her smile too. “I suppose that’s good to know, then.”

Unfortunately, her brief moment of relaxation and happiness disappeared at the next question out of Samuel’s mouth. Daisy’s eyes widened. Her heart sank and raced all at once. She could hear her breathing getting heavier and uneven. He knew. It had been years since this had happened, and she had hoped beyond all hopes that dealing with living in the shadows of her family was far behind her. The panic set in and began to swallow her. If one staff member knew, it was only a matter of time until they all knew and she would spend her time here reliving the isolation she had gone through in this very place in her younger years. She turned away from the man before uttering the poisoning response to his question. “Yes,” was all she whispered.

Desperate to talk about something, anything else, Daisy was grateful that the conversation now turned to Samuel and his family. He mentioned that his sister and him once got along, but by the sounds of it, not anymore. The arithmancy professor longed to tell him that she knew what it was like to not get along with your siblings, but she refused to offer more information on that area of her life than required. “I’m sorry to hear that. What happened between you two, if you don’t mind me asking?”

More thankfulness washed over Daisy as their discussion moved away from families altogether now and onto a completely different topic. Daisy enjoyed music, but only really listened to it. She had never played an instrument. When in China, her friends would often tell her she could learn music so easily as a lot of musical theory required a mathematical mind, which she obviously had. Unfortunately, there had been no one to teach her anything. When Samuel offered to teach her guitar, she lit up and practically beamed at him. “I would love to learn. Of course, if you don’t mind. I’m sure you’re a really busy man with teaching and managing Gryffindors and such.” She nodded when she heard what types of music Professor Copeland played. “I like all of those types, so I would be happy with learning any. Although, I probably prefer muggle rock the most, if we’re being honest. That’s silly. Why wouldn’t we be honest? We have nothing to hide as coworkers! And I’m being awkward… again,” she said blushing.

Listening to what the boys were fighting over, she rolled her eyes. “A silly argument really. So much goes into a broomstick that there isn’t one that is better than the other. You have to consider acceleration, speed, length of the handle in accordance to the height of the rider,” she stopped as she realized she was rambling. Of course, anything math related like the physics of broomstick riding would be something Daisy was sort of an expert in, but surely, it wasn’t important. “But that’s neither here nor there. The bottom line is, they shouldn’t have fought over it.” When the Ravenclaw students were mentioned, she became a little huffy. Surely, he wasn’t stating that her Ravenclaws were capable of anything asinine. Then he suggested that she not show her nervousness, a little more sourness appeared on her face. “I don’t get nervous around students, just people my own age. It may be strange to you, but I have my reasons,” she tried to say calmly and not allow any unfriendliness escape from her voice. Truth be told, she wasn’t mad at him, but the fact that he was getting closer and closer to pulling out her insecurities about her sisters annoyed her slightly.
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
0 posts
""
options

Post by Deleted on May 28, 2015 1:22:07 GMT -5

As he looked at the woman with him, Samuel couldn’t help but think that she somehow looked familiar. Well perhaps not her but more like she looked like someone he had gone to school with but he couldn’t work out who it was. And he wasn’t about to rack his brain for their name. Merlin knows his brain had had quite the workout with sorting out his students just moments ago. No instead he was going to appreciate the beautiful woman that was with him. He knew that she would probably be up here more often given that her office was on this floor as well as her house. He arched a blonde eyebrow as she answered him, stating that she hadn’t any boyfriends during her school days. It was lost on him how someone like her had been single back then and he presumed she as still single. Or he hoped she was. An amused smile graced his features before he chuckled as she continue to ramble on about her only male company being books and not making out with them. “Daisy….please…don’t be sorry” he said, speaking in a calming tone, he really wanted her to keep her nerves under wraps but what he was going to say next would change that. “And believe me, you cannot learn to kiss from a book” he said with a blank expression while smirking on the inside. He prayed that his words hadn’t scared her off; he was half joking and half speaking the truth.

Samuel started to wonder why she hadn’t been around many guys before. Not in the dating sense but just even as friends. Surely she would have worked with guys on some project in potions or in some other class. Group work was highly possible at Hogwarts. Maybe that was something he would question her on later, when she appeared to be more comfortable around him, which he hoped would be sooner rather than later. He was glad she was still standing there. The professor continued to smile at Daisy. “Of course, it doesn’t take long to spot one anyway” he informed her. He knew this well, although his father had been a jerk of sorts but that had taken a long time to shine through.

The head of Gryffindor watched quizzically as Daisy’s eyes widened. He panicked, had he said something wrong? Clearly going by her reaction, he had. Dammit! He cursed in his head. But all he had done was ask about her siblings. Perhaps something had happened to her sisters. Maybe they were no longer on speaking terms or perhaps they were no longer around. However he hoped it was option one if it was anything. He moved forward half a step out of concern when she looked away from him. He bit his lip at her response. “I’m so sorry I asked” he said, speaking softly.

He never felt comfortable talking about Hannah. Primarily because he felt like it was his fault why she left, travelled around the world only returning then basically to not speak to him for the last few years. The wizard sighed and looked away before looking offering Daisy a small but hopeful smile. “Hannah, that’s her name, she thought I was too protective of her I guess and when she got back she stopped talking to me” he answered her, not offering a full answer. He didn’t want to get into that now.

As the conversation moved to more lighter topic his mood automatically improved. He was hoping his first conversation with a new staff member would be a happy one and not something that seemed to affect them both. Her smile….it was…..breathtaking, he blinked a few times to keep his thoughts in check before he spoke. “While that is true, I don’t teach the students on weekends, so if you wanted to, I can teach you some notes and chords then…” he trailed off, leaving the decision up to her. Samuel hoped she would take him up on his offer however. He found her rambling cute and she continued on, he couldn’t but be captivated. He wasn’t what he was feeling was right but there was no way he could stop feeling this way. “Well we could move on from blues to Muggle rock” he smiled at her.

Samuel’s eyebrows rose at her as she delivered a long answer on the makings of a broomstick. “Spoken like a true Ravenclaw” he mused, half teasing her. “I’m glad to know you love your mathematical theory Professor, I hope some of my lions take up your class” really he hoped some Gryffindors did, he knew that some were quiet intelligent and were advanced beyond their year level. “Don’t worry if they fight over anything, they have to answer to me” Samuel stated. He knew fully well that this would not be the last fight he would have to break up. Gryffindors just got into more fights amongst themselves than any other house, well as far as he knew. “Not strange at all” he replied shaking his head. “If and when you feel like sharing those reasons, I’d be happy to listen” he told her sincerely